Do The Cubs Show Maddon The Door At Season's End?

Heim

EOG Master
I'm thinking Phillies or Angels. I would think a contract extension would have been done by now.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
I'm thinking Phillies or Angels. I would think a contract extension would have been done by now.

I can see Phillies. Angles just signed ASSmus but "only" to a 3-year deal so they could get rid of him but as cheap as Arte is - doubt it. IF they fire ASSmus and bring in Maddon it would require about a 5-year $25M deal and just don't see Arte doing it

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
The shark move would be the White Sox. Yes, he'll be gone unless they make the WS.

Heim, its more than Maddon and his managing. There is a lot of ego from both sides here.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I think the jig is up in Chicago for Joe Maddon.

That's the way I read between the lines when either Joe or Theo Epstein are interviewed.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Perfect metrics do not require expensive managers, this is Theo's thinking here. Personally, you need to manage personalities and egos, something that you cannot apply numbers to.

Heim

EOG Master
Perfect metrics do not require expensive managers, this is Theo's thinking here. Personally, you need to manage personalities and egos, something that you cannot apply numbers to.

Very true plus the trend now is younger analytic guys. Maddon is 65.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
I think it's too soon to judge. 40 games left, they could just as easily turn it around and distance themselves from the NL Central if they can win it. One and done in the wildcard or falling short of the postseason and Maddon's fate goes inevitable.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I once heard Theo Epstein talk about some type of 10-year rule.

I was half-listening but it sounded like term limits in politics applied to the business world or sports world.

MrTop

EOG Master
Theo / hoyer have been bad and unlucky for the cubs owner. . Heyward was missing on offense his first couple of years. Darvish has not pitched well until the last month. Quntana has not pitched well since he got to the cubs. Russell turns into a head case. Swarber has not turned out since he broke his leg in 2016. I cannot blame this on maddon. Theo & hoyer have the pen & paper .

Valuist

EOG Master

I was half-listening but it sounded like term limits in politics applied to the business world or sports world.

I think it definitely applies in the NFL as well. At some point, the players tune out the coach. We see this with the old school disciplinarians in football. MLB doesn't really have any of those anymore.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

As great as MILK is - even it has an expiration date because even it goes bad. Look at Mikey and the Angels to see what happens when you stay too long. Like most I expect him elsewhere next season......and probably for the betterment of all