Do You Trade Trout?

Heim

EOG Master
I know the fans are going to revolt but they'll get over it with a winning team. His value will peak once he wins
another MVP in a few days. 29 by mid-season, injuries occurring with more regularity, I think it's a wise move.

Tampa and Nats just showed you don't need superstars to win. Get some front-line starters and maybe
a decent closer or bat. They're not going anywhere with Trout. Maddon will figure it out like he
did with the Cubs.

Heim

EOG Master
You answered your own thought with the last sentence. T is going nowhere.

Halos aren't going anywhere with him.....they've made the playoffs once eliminated early. The only thing holding it back would bea devaluation of the franchise if Moreno is really looking to sell.

They need pitching.

They have one of the best CF prospects in
baseball in the minors in Odell waiting in the wings.

Last edited:

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
I know the fans are going to revolt but they'll get over it with a winning team. His value will peak once he wins
another MVP in a few days
. 29 by mid-season, injuries occurring with more regularity, I think it's a wise move.

Tampa and Nats just showed you don't need superstars to win. Get some front-line starters and maybe
a decent closer or bat. They're not going anywhere with Trout. Maddon will figure it out like he
did with the Cubs.

Not sure he wins it. He shouldn't. He is the BEST player. NOT the most VALUABLE! I would put Trout no better than 2nd on my ballot behind Bregman. Personally, and I know I will get kileld for this, I put him 4th behind Semien AND (and this is where I get killed) DJ LaMaheiu (Had a solid season for the 2nd best team in the AL and a huge reason why an injurt ravaged Evil Empire won the East)

As for the ?? at hand

Depends. IF the LA Angels of Topeka, Kansas can sign Cole they might be on their way especially with Ohtani coming back. The albatross of Pujols contract for 2 more years hurts but they can work around that. I have never been a fan of whatever Upton plays for them - highly overpaid and complies stats in meaningless games.

If they can't bring in a top name FA pitcher gotta think about trading him and getting a massive haul back. They have sucked with him except for 2014. Trout has only played 3 meaningful games - in 2014 when the best team in the AL got bounced out by the Royals. If Trout only plays 3 meaningful games his entire career he will never be considered the GOAT player.

It may be sinful to do so but it has to be considered.

The better question is: If you want to acquire Trout, what do you give up? Let's say the Dodgers want to trade for Trout. To do so they would probably have to give up: Bellinger, May, Lux, and maybe 2 others like Joc Pederson and Will Smith..................and at this point in time if I am the Dodgers I do NOT make this trade and therein lies the problem. Who is gonna give up a ton and then have to load up once they trade away a boat load of players

Neveragain

EOG Dedicated
No way they’ll trade him.
Bad idea.
Rumour is Angels minor league prospects are on the improve.
Patience is a virtue.

KevinStott11

EOG Veteran
The time is now to trade him. They are in need of a major rebuild and dealing him could result in acquiring young talent.

They are never going to have a better Record than the Astros or A's in the AL West. They have little heart. Trade him while perceived value is high.

The media's love affair with Trout is now stale. Deal him and/or Ohtani and plan for 2-3 years down the road. AL West is purgatory for the Halos, Rangers and M's.

Heim

EOG Master
The time is now to trade him. They are in need of a major rebuild and dealing him could result in acquiring young talent.

They are never going to have a better Record than the Astros or as in the AL West. They have little heart. Trade him while perceived value is high.

The media's love affair with Trout is now stale. Deal him and/or Ohtani and plan for 2-3 years down the road. AL West is purgatory for the Halos, Rangers and M's.

Kev gets it....

kane

EOG master
If they wanted to move him, there are only a handful of teams who could even afford him, the trade market wouldn't be very big

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
"Fair'....I just downgraded you to a A-
I’m not saying Soto is better, but look at his stats last year and his contract. He’s under team control for 4-5 more years during his peak while Trout will make $120 mil over the next 4 years and not get better. Soto was also a big part of a championship team. The gap isn’t that big actually.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
I’m not saying Soto is better, but look at his stats last year and his contract. He’s under team control for 4-5 more years during his peak while Trout will make $120 mil over the next 4 years and not get better. Soto was also a big part of a championship team. The gap isn’t that big actually.

BINGO! Soto is not a FA for some time meaning the Nats will pay him far less that Trout for many years to come.

FOR THE MONEY...........Soto is far more valuable than Trout

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
BINGO! Soto is not a FA for some time meaning the Nats will pay him far less that Trout for many years to come.

FOR THE MONEY...........Soto is far more valuable than Trout
I love Trout but for $30 mil, you can have Soto, Hamels, and Castellenos. This is the angels problem. As great as Trout is, he hamstrings the financial end (pujols also). The Dodgers can get away with this style because they are much sharper at developing cheap talent. The Cubs are about to pay the piper - and it won’t be pretty.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
I love Trout but for $30 mil, you can have Soto, Hamels, and Castellenos. This is the angels problem. As great as Trout is, he hamstrings the financial end (pujols also). The Dodgers can get away with this style because they are much sharper at developing cheap talent. The Cubs are about to pay the piper - and it won’t be pretty.

This is also why Strasburg is not going to the Padres. They Fathers have some brutal long-term deals:

Wil Myers making $22.5M the next 3 years (seriously - although he got very little the first 3 years): https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/san-diego-padres/wil-myers-11711/
Hosmer making $22.5 the next 2 years then $13 after that: https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/san-diego-padres/eric-hosmer-8531/
Machado making $32 for the next 9 years: https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/san-diego-padres/manny-machado-11638/

Add it up and in 2020 the Padres have $77M for 3 guys. Gotta think Strasburg gets at least $30 meaning Padres paying around $110M to 4 guys. Not gonna happen.

Say what you will about the Dodgers but how many guys did they have making a contribution in 2019 and counting on for a bigger one in 2020 - that were homegrown....players they drafted! A LOT! Angels might have a nice farm system but we said that many years ago. There was a time when the Angels could have traded: Casey Kotchman, Dallass McPherson or Brandon Woods for an established MLB player - even star. Then these 3 got on the field and very quickly showed they were not good at all and none had a long career in Anaheim.

And you are right about the Cubs. Nuclear winter is about to hit very soon

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
I would like to know more about the Betts leaving Boston rumors. Now would Anaheim kick the tires on that?

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
I would like to know more about the Betts leaving Boston rumors. Now would Anaheim kick the tires on that?

Once again - how and why? Boston would only be getting rid of him because of the potential high value contract he is gonna soon sign. If Boston can't afford him - who can? And give up the players they would need to give up to get Mookie

kane

EOG master
Betts is a FA after this season, and he's said he'll test free agency, with JD Martinez opting in, there might not be enough money for Betts. If I were running things, I would try my best to hold onto him, but if they feel he's leaving after next season, he could bring back a very nice package, and whatever package the Sox get back better have a couple of good arms in it

boston massacre

EOG Master
Betts is a FA after this season, and he's said he'll test free agency, with JD Martinez opting in, there might not be enough money for Betts. If I were running things, I would try my best to hold onto him, but if they feel he's leaving after next season, he could bring back a very nice package, and whatever package the Sox get back better have a couple of good arms in it

That Package might not be as good as you think.

Remember, the Team that trades for Betts only has him for 1 Year Guaranteed.

The Red Sox Owner wants to get Under the Luxury Tax Penalty of 208 Million going into Next Year.

Martinez opting in made it more difficult to keep Betts.

He's Testing the Free Agent Market after next year.

He's Turned Down a Long Term Extension from Red Sox in the Past, so that he can get to that " SHOP AROUND " Date.

Last edited:

Valuist

EOG Master
I was referring to everyday guys. Who considers Rendon and Soto stars besides metric guys?

The media was so obsessed with Harper that a guy like Rendon has been overlooked the past few years. It's not like he just became good.. And Soto gets overshadowed by young guys like Acuna.

No one is going to trade that much for him. He's just a fair value at his contract and of course everyone is wondering what he looks like in his 30s. He would get a reasonable haul of prospects, but probably not too much Grade A type prospects because the player every team covets is an all-star performer on his entry deal. Once guys get fair market money their value is mostly gone.

kane

EOG master
That Package might not be as good as you think.

Remember, the Team that trades for Betts only has him for 1 Year Guaranteed.

The Red Sox Owner wants to get Under the Luxury Tax Penalty of 208 Million going into Next Year.

Martinez opting in made it more difficult to keep Betts.

He's Testing the Free Agent Market after next year.

He's Turned Down a Long Term Extension from Red Sox in the Past, so that he can get to that " SHOP AROUND " Date.

Any team that traded for him would probably want him to sign an extension before giving up a lot, if he insists he'll test free agency, then obviously that minimizes what teams would be willing to offer

MrTop

EOG Master
No one is going to trade that much for him. He's just a fair value at his contract and of course everyone is wondering what he looks like in his 30s. He would get a reasonable haul of prospects, but probably not too much Grade A type prospects because the player every team covets is an all-star performer on his entry deal. Once guys get fair market money their value is mostly gone.

like buying a new car ...driving it out of the showroom