Does anybody here play the MLB Beat the Streak contest?

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
You know - pick a player to get a hit 56 times in a row to win $5.6 million.

There is a player who is on 50. Looks like 6 to go.

Last edited:

unluckysob

EOG Dedicated
Joe Dimangio played when gloves were simply a strip of leather. Today's mlb players are faster. Baseball gloves are engineering marvels.

richsox24

EOG Master
I play this when i remember. Is there any way to see who the guy whose streak is at 50 picks before the games begin?

I'd like to follow.

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
When you look at profiles/ leader has picked successfully 61 of 102. AB % is 297. Somehow, has gone on a 50 game sizzle. So, that leaves 11 of 52 before the hot streak??? Nobody on the leaderboard is killing it with batting average - not man above 330.

MrTop

EOG Master
When you look at profiles/ leader has picked successfully 61 of 102. AB % is 297. Somehow, has gone on a 50 game sizzle. So, that leaves 11 of 52 before the hot streak??? Nobody on the leaderboard is killing it with batting average - not man above 330.

I would think the guys that don't whiff are your best bet … what do you think ?

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
I agree with that strategy - probably do not want somebody that walks a lot? It is interesting handicapping more or less down the fantasy road.

MrTop

EOG Master
I agree with that strategy - probably do not want somebody that walks a lot? It is interesting handicapping more or less down the fantasy road.

walks could mean either the batter has power and pitcher avoiding the batter to get to an easier batter. Then there is some batters have a keen eye . Through out history does not matter what era you are in just look at whiff % . that will tell you the best hitters. look for hitters under 20% whiff rate. The more chances the batter has to get a hit by making contact the more ways to fall in between fielders. . Ted Williams use to talk about it every time on tv. Go to fangraphs put in hitters from 1920 till present.. you can see who pops up. Look at todays best stars yelich and belinger. The most feared hitters to get a hit. Actually belinger was a bad hitter he had to change his attack at the plate cause his whiff rate in past years was horrible. It is easier to hit a homerun and have a low batting average than it is to hit .300+ year after year. Teams that win the world series have good hitting attacks. Not sluggers with low batting averages. October you see better pitching .The sluggers are good during the year cause they face bad pitching. You need hitters during October. Look at your last 2 WS winners very tough to whiff. The cubs and yankees & dodgers went home without the crown. Not enough hitters. Their lineups were made up of sluggers who whiff. The dodgers are a different animal this year. Tough to whiff.

MrTop

EOG Master
That and road hitters who are 1-3 in the lineup. You want guaranteed 9 innings from your hitters

whiffing is the most important thing then , The manager usually puts the better hitters up 1-3 .. You also have to include the opposing pitcher along with the fielding of the opponent.
There are 2-3 hitters on the twins who hit. Astros and dodgers have hitters.

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR
When I remember I do it off and on, longest streak was less than 20...... 17 or so?

I didn't spend enough time on it, put plays in early, several times I listed players that were taking a day off or whatever and they ended up pinch hitting in the 9th.

Kind of fun though when you get going in it.

I can't wait to see who he lines up, the guy at 51 in a row.