DOES BETTING THE NFL PRE-SEASON MAKE YOU AN IDIOT?

markinsac

EOG Dedicated
I used to think that those who bet pre-season games should call the gamblers anonomous number before they called their bookie. But a few years I started noticing that certain teams are trying harder in the exhibition games than others. The Raiders traditionaly do well in these games while teams like Indianapolis don't try hard at all. Certain coaches have different plans for the pre-season. Look, we all know that during the regular season both teams will do anything to get the win. And those pointspreads are the toughest in sports. But in the pre-season, if you can decipher which team is trying harder, you might have a much bigger edge than in the regular season games. It seems that the weaker teams play harder in pre-season. Coach wants them to get in the habit of winning and prove to them they are not inferior. The good teams look not to get injured and coach will pull his better players earlier.

What's your opinion?

Re: DOES BETTING THE NFL PRE-SEASON MAKE YOU AN IDIOT?

There is some great value (yes, I know, I hate that word, too) on ML dogs. Lets be honest, any of these teams can win any of these games. Cincy would never go into, say, New England and win during the regular season, but they'll still be a +9 or so dog preseason which translates to a nice ML.

mr merlin

EOG Master

Nothing worse than an easy win being flushed away by scrubs in the 4th qtr, not worth the pain IMO.

markinsac

EOG Dedicated

Good point merlin, but if the weaker team leaves their starters in longer and builds up a lead, then they should have a better chance to win, scrubs or no scrubs.

carolinakid

Banned

nfl is like a drug to a lot of people, be it pre or the reg season a lot of people go overboard about the nfl, be the number of games they bet on a given day etc............

mr merlin

EOG Master

Good point merlin, but if the weaker team leaves their starters in longer and builds up a lead, then they should have a better chance to win, scrubs or no scrubs.
Another point is that you really have to know a team well to know who's backups are better, especially after an offseason along with unknown rookies.
I know this sat. the vikes play, and they are saying the starters are only going to play a couple series.

High Times

EOG Master

Pre-season used to be a lot better when they used to try to win the games.

Now these games are scrimmages and can't be predicted in any way, shape, or form.

20 years ago = great betting opportunities

Now = crap shoot

carolinakid

Banned

HT you are spot on sir, crap shoot is the right words imo too, if you cant wait until the reg season then you do have a problem gambling .watch and learn in the pre-season is the best way to go......................

Pre-season used to be a lot better when they used to try to win the games.

Now these games are scrimmages and can't be predicted in any way, shape, or form.

20 years ago = great betting opportunities

Now = crap shoot
You're right and you're wrong. These games are scrimmages and can't be predicted in any way, shape, or form.

However, it is because of that very reason it presents great betting opportunities. Just selectively bet underdogs on the ML. It's about a coin toss prospect of winning, yet the payout is significantly better than 1:1.

LOL.

Yeah, you'd have to be an idiot to play these pre-season games.

Everybody knows what a breeze it is to pick games during the regular season.

carolinakid

Banned

NFL kept your local bookie in business, without it he will be working a normal job

High Times

EOG Master

You're right and you're wrong. These games are scrimmages and can't be predicted in any way, shape, or form.

However, it is because of that very reason it presents great betting opportunities. Just selectively bet underdogs on the ML. It's about a coin toss prospect of winning, yet the payout is significantly better than 1:1.

I have not looked into that, but you could be 100% correct on that.

High Times

EOG Master

HT you are spot on sir, crap shoot is the right words imo too, if you cant wait until the reg season then you do have a problem gambling .watch and learn in the pre-season is the best way to go......................

I'm not asking you to believe me, but 20 years ago I went 19-1 during an NFL pre-season. NFL pre-season was actually my strongest bets for the whole year. Back then you could use the Coach's QB rotation and how long they played their players.

Some coach's went all out the whole pre-season trying to win those games and others would play mostly back ups.

It was pretty easy to match them up.

Now they all do the exact same thing and that makes it a crap shoot.

And no coach needs to win pre-season games anymore. They just don't care now.

Going 19-1 twenty years ago one time in the NFLX probably was a crap shoot too, if you're still waiting to duplicate it over two decades later.

Heck, I held the dice for 45 minutes once back in 1999. And a decade later, while the game hasn't gotten any harder, I haven't done it since.

WINBET

EOG Dedicated

I was firmly in the camp of betting pre-season is a joke whenever the topic arose. Some time back I was introduced to a so called NFL geek at a party, he convinced me that there was cash to be made and last season I took a gander. I ended up winning ?1400 betting ?100 a time, so this year I've pressed up a bit more and although the plannings slightly different this year my one bet Balt/ Philly Under has cashed.
I have a tentative parlay bet on Tampa -3 with Pittsburgh under 33 tonight but its back to full stake tomorrow on The Rams -7 and Jets/ Houston Over 34.5. :pop::cheers

Heim

EOG Master

You're an idiot not to bet it......it's the only sport where you can get information before the market makers.

High Times

EOG Master

I was firmly in the camp of betting pre-season is a joke whenever the topic arose. Some time back I was introduced to a so called NFL geek at a party, he convinced me that there was cash to be made and last season I took a gander. I ended up winning €1400 betting €100 a time, so this year I've pressed up a bit more and although the plannings slightly different this year my one bet Balt/ Philly Under has cashed.
I have a tentative parlay bet on Tampa -3 with Pittsburgh under 33 tonight but its back to full stake tomorrow on The Rams -7 and Jets/ Houston Over 34.5. :pop::cheers

Good luck :cheers

EOG poster input has decided another sports gambling issue.

The NFLX:

You're an idiot to bet it.

You're an idiot not to bet it.

OK, that's settled.

High Times

EOG Master

Going 19-1 twenty years ago one time in the NFLX probably was a crap shoot too, if you're still waiting to duplicate it over two decades later.

Heck, I held the dice for 45 minutes once back in 1999. And a decade later, while the game hasn't gotten any harder, I haven't done it since.

If you ever thought about what you posted for 1 minute you would understand that my post didn't need a response.

FOR ME the pre-season has changed. I can't get an advantage anymore except for the obvious "who's playing and who's not" stuff.

Again FOR ME ... NOT YOU !!!

Do you need me to repeat that again?

FOR ME the pre-season has changed. For others INCLUDING YOU the pre-season might be the exact same as it was 20 years ago.

:doh1

Mammon

EOG Master

Betting against Dallas always seems to work.

High Times

EOG Master

Just to annoy goofballs citing twenty year old undocumented 19-1 NFLX records.

Yes, I'm a goofball

But a Goofball that would need to tell you to "get the fuck out of the way" because you are in the way of the people who want to make bets as you talk to a Sports book employee or a real bettor.

Mr. Smith

EOG Master

Kind of late to the party if just deciding now maybe their are good bets in preseason, but most people don't bother trying to win at sportsbetting and their general consesus/advice will be "you'd have to be crazy, dude! I once bet a preseason game and a FedEx employee cost me in the 4th quarter!"

It is harder and the most obvious good and bad coaches are known so you have to dig deeper.

its certainly easier than the NBA of NFL regular season with tight numbers

kickitGOOD

EOG Enthusiast

If you do your homework, you should have a bigger edge betting preseason NFL than regular season NFL.

SecretStash

EOG Senior Member

id say the answer is yes.. its no better than betting an austrailian basketball game at 4am which u never heard of either teams u are just flipping a coin :btj:

-stash

nedrow9

EOG Master

wk 1 the starters play a little .wk 2 they play a little more. wk3 u could see em well into the 3rd q. wk 4 be lucky to see any of em
my younger day i played , but no way now

waco

EOG Dedicated

U can make some coin betting pre season games. There is a reason Vegas puts a low limit on these games. I take all home teams and making a little money

kid44

EOG Dedicated

Found that first half totals are decent pickins for me. Totals also with a solid qb backup and second string that knows the offense.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

You're an idiot not to bet it......it's the only sport where you can get information before the market makers.

Exactly. Not all teams play to win. People can bet 1st halves too instead of the game.