EOG's Grand Challenge presented by BetDSI (MRBOWLING300 is our August contestant)

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
CHITOWNARCHIE (June) joined SHARKY99 (January) as contributors who have conquered the Challenge this year.

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
I saw a stat the other day where 52% of all doubleheaders over the past 10 years have resulted in a split.
Spartan Mike's father was a very avid gambler (that's where Mike got it from), and he always played the dog on both ends of the DH looking for the split to make money.

The 2 for the price of 1 DH is a dinosaur. I was surprised these two games were scheduled like that. I've been to only 1 doubleheader in my life. That was back in 1984 when the Tigers hosted the Royals on a humid and hot sunny August Sunday afternoon. The Tigers dropped both ends of the DH, which was rare in their championship year of 1984, but not surprising when you look back and think after the 35-5 start, the tigers were only 69-53 the rest of the way. KC was 84-78 for a .511 winning record in 1984 taking the division by only 3 games over the California (now LA) Angels. The Tigers did get their revenge over the Royals in the 1984 ALCS, when they swept the Royals in the best of 5 series, which was the format at the time.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Speaking of doubleheaders involving the Tigers and Royals (haha), who can forget the double-dip in September 2004 when the Royals bombed the Tigers, 26-5, in Game 1 and then lost to the Tigers in Game 2 by a score of 8-0?

Twenty-six runs for K.C. in Game 1 and no runs in Game 2.

Baseball is amazing.

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
Speaking of doubleheaders involving the Tigers and Royals (haha), who can forget the double-dip in September 2004 when the Royals bombed the Tigers, 26-5, in Game 1 and then lost to the Tigers in Game 2 by a score of 8-0?

Twenty-six runs for K.C. in Game 1 and no runs in Game 2.

Baseball is amazing.
The title of Joe Garaglioa's book said it all...."Baseball is a funny game"!

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
the ONLY place you could bet hawaii halftimes back in the day

You could bet on NCAA Football overtimes too at the IP book. One of the most amazing coincidences in my life occurred at the IP sports book, back in Sept 1999. Spartan Mike and I were making our way over there to cash some tickets and catch the final game of the day, Oregon vs Oregon St I believe. About 20 minutes before we got there, we were talking about a guy named Roland who we were friends with from Michigan State, he lived on our dorm floor. Hadn't seen him or talked to him since those days. He was a quirky dude, sort of a loner. Had no idea even what ever became of him. This goes back to 1986 that we were talking about. We get to the IP book, and Mike says to me, isn't that Roland??? I look and was unsure. I yelled out Roland, he turned around, and sure enough it was Roland! An unbelievable coincidence, hadn't seen the guy in 13+ years, was just talking about him, and there he was! Turns out he was a ticket broker/scalper, and was in town from Phoenix for a car race event he was selling tickets to. We hung around him, watching the Oregon game. In the game, Oregon tied the game up with a FG to send it to OT. One of the linemen for Oregon celebrated a bit too much and injured his own kicker by jumping on him, lol. Mike and I always perceived Roland to be a loser. Roland went to make a bet on the OT betting, asked him who he betted, and he said Oregon St, as Oregon isn't going to win because the FG kicker was injured. Because he bet Oregon St, I auto faded Roland and bet $100 on Oregon in the OT. Oregon ended up winning, Roland was pissed. We parted ways and in the next 23 years since, we have not seen, spoken to, or even know anything about Roland once again. Strange how our paths crossed in the universe for only about 30 minutes. Spartan Mike and I still joke with our friends that knew Roland to this day about that!

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
After covering the under yesterday in game 1 of Det/Cleve, i'm now at 5-9-1. My goal is to at least get back to .500

Play number 16, Astros/ChiSox under 7 -108

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Verlander v Cease.

It doesn't get much better than this matchup.

Verlander is where Cease wants to be.

Credit White Sox television analyst Steve Stone for spotting the future brilliance of Dylan Cease several years ago.

I'll be rooting for MRBOWLING300 tonight.

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
The Verlander trade was the epitome of the Al Avila regime as GM of the Tigers.

Seconds before the waiver trade deadline on August 31, 2017, the Tigers sent Verlander to the Houston Astros for prospects Franklin Pérez, Jake Rogers, and Daz Cameron. Verlander won his Astros debut on September 5 against the Seattle Mariners, giving up one run and striking out seven over six innings.

None of these prospects ever panned out, as did any other trades Avila orchestrated. And hence, his firing a few weeks ago by the Tigers. The Astros got a real steal w/ Verlander.

railbird

EOG Master
You could bet on NCAA Football overtimes too at the IP book. One of the most amazing coincidences in my life occurred at the IP sports book, back in Sept 1999. Spartan Mike and I were making our way over there to cash some tickets and catch the final game of the day, Oregon vs Oregon St I believe. About 20 minutes before we got there, we were talking about a guy named Roland who we were friends with from Michigan State, he lived on our dorm floor. Hadn't seen him or talked to him since those days. He was a quirky dude, sort of a loner. Had no idea even what ever became of him. This goes back to 1986 that we were talking about. We get to the IP book, and Mike says to me, isn't that Roland??? I look and was unsure. I yelled out Roland, he turned around, and sure enough it was Roland! An unbelievable coincidence, hadn't seen the guy in 13+ years, was just talking about him, and there he was! Turns out he was a ticket broker/scalper, and was in town from Phoenix for a car race event he was selling tickets to. We hung around him, watching the Oregon game. In the game, Oregon tied the game up with a FG to send it to OT. One of the linemen for Oregon celebrated a bit too much and injured his own kicker by jumping on him, lol. Mike and I always perceived Roland to be a loser. Roland went to make a bet on the OT betting, asked him who he betted, and he said Oregon St, as Oregon isn't going to win because the FG kicker was injured. Because he bet Oregon St, I auto faded Roland and bet $100 on Oregon in the OT. Oregon ended up winning, Roland was pissed. We parted ways and in the next 23 years since, we have not seen, spoken to, or even know anything about Roland once again. Strange how our paths crossed in the universe for only about 30 minutes. Spartan Mike and I still joke with our friends that knew Roland to this day about that!
that seems to happen often, its a 6th sense

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
You should stick with betting Tigers unders. It's working.

I'm well aware of that. I kind of got away from that due not getting the best number, line being greater than -110, or just plain stupidity.

August to date, the unders in Tiger games are like 13-3 or something like that.

The Tigers offense is atrocious, yielding the lowest number of runs per game since their world series teams of 1907-1909 during the dead ball era.

I wanted to play today, this morning it was under 8 -112, moved to 7.5 and became greater than -110 again, not getting the best number bothers me.