Erik Bedard to PHILLY?

They desperately need a good arm.

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/mariners/2008/07/bedard_on_philly_radio.html

Erik Bedard went on Philadelphia radio with the local ESPN affiliate yesterday, as rumors continue to swirl about the Phillies now itching to land him in a deal. He didn't say anything overly inflammatory, other than blaming the media for his image troubles, insinuating it makes stuff up. Well, uh, only when we try to pass off Indiana for Iowa. Other than that, well, maybe if Bedard feels he's being unfairly portrayed, he can speak up and set the record straight before some potential misperceptions get out of hand? Just an idea. But he chose the path he now finds himself on. To imply otherwise seems a bit silly.
Anyhow, back to the interview. He didn't openly welcome a trade to Philadelphia, saying all the politically correct things. Then again, he didn't exactly turn it down either. I think if he gets criticized for this interview at all, it will be for actually going on the air in a city where the team is thinking of trading for him.

mofome

Banned
Re: Erik Bedard to PHILLY?

The phillies dont have all that much on the farm, but if harden went for that pile of junk, maybe the phills will only have to give ryan howards bum ass.

Jul 6 Bedard will have his next start pushed back a couple of days after experiencing tightness in his throwing shoulder, and there is a chance the Seattle left-hander might not throw again until after the All-Star break.

Advice: Bedard complained of tightness in his left shoulder after his start on Friday, when he went five innings and gave up one run, and left after throwing 99 pitches. Manager Jim Riggleman believed Bedard was not fully healthy after suffering back and hip injuries earlier in the season. The shoulder tightness is a new ailment.

They can have him.

mofome

Banned

Os made out well on that deal. A jones would have been good SU, but we got Tillman as well.

:houra

5 star bomb

EOG Master

The phillies dont have all that much on the farm, but if harden went for that pile of junk, maybe the phills will only have to give ryan howards bum ass.

The Cubs didnt give up a pile of junk.... Gallagher will be good, E. Pat has a ton of potential, Murton if given the chance to start every day can be a .290 type hitter, and Donaldson is a young promising catcher

mofome

Banned

The Cubs didnt give up a pile of junk.... Gallagher will be good, E. Pat has a ton of potential, Murton if given the chance to start every day can be a .290 type hitter, and Donaldson is a young promising catcher

What, exactly, makes him promising? Is it his .210 BA in the minors or his lack of power?

5 star bomb

EOG Master

What, exactly, makes him promising? Is it his .210 BA in the minors or his lack of power?

I wont even talk Cubs farm system with you bc you obviously dont know much about them. I do, as I follow how they are doing throughout the season. You didnt think they had enough to get Harden when they CLEARLY did....

12io4j2w90

Don't know much about him, but Oakland doesn't get screwed much. Murton is a one-tool player, and Patterson is 1-2 years from being ready. He also is a 2nd Baseman, not an OF. Gallagher should help Oakland now.

5 star bomb

EOG Master

Don't know much about him, but Oakland doesn't get screwed much. Murton is a one-tool player, and Patterson is 1-2 years from being ready. He also is a 2nd Baseman, not an OF. Gallagher should help Oakland now.

I think Patterson is going to be a good one... He isnt anything like his brother

mofome

Banned

I wont even talk Cubs farm system with you bc you obviously dont know much about them. I do, as I follow how they are doing throughout the season. You didnt think they had enough to get Harden when they CLEARLY did....

12io4j2w90

give me a fucking break. you don't know shit about anything. The Cubs system is not ranked highly by anyone, thats not an opinion. They got harden for a bunch of crap that i didnt think would get you Harden. So what? Oak saw Harden stay healthy for a long enough period of time to build some value and they traded him as soon as it happened. Simple enough.

:thumbsup

12io4j2w90

His arm lowered his value a lot. Has to be a concern as Oakland was very willing to ship him off now for b-level prospects.

mofome

Banned

Gall should be decent in that park, Patterson could be a decent player, and Murton is a 3rd/4th OF. Oak took what they could get as soon as Harden put together a few starts without getting hurt.

5 star bomb

EOG Master

give me a fucking break. you don't know shit about anything. The Cubs system is not ranked highly by anyone, thats not an opinion. They got harden for a bunch of crap that i didnt think would get you Harden. So what? Oak saw Harden stay healthy for a long enough period of time to build some value and they traded him as soon as it happened. Simple enough.

:thumbsup

Cubs are in the middle of the pack when it comes to farm systems, like I have stated a million times. Now days teams are very hesitant as they should be to unload top farm talent for players. It was worth it for us with the position we are in and Harden is only 26 with contract thru 09.... So are you suggesting you know more than Billy Beane?

:rolleyes:

I think Patterson is going to be a good one... He isnt anything like his brother

His brother was damn good the year he got hurt. Was never the same player. Still is a great defensive OF, just no plate discipline at all. If Dusty cannot help him, then no one can. Dusty is a great hitting instructor.

5 star bomb

EOG Master

His arm lowered his value a lot. Has to be a concern as Oakland was very willing to ship him off now for b-level prospects.

yea well i figured that was obvious to everyone though... His injury concerns are definitely a concern and something that I hope doesnt happen with him in CHicago... However Cubs have been watching him his past 7 starts or so and liked what they saw, and spoke with Oakland team doctors and got a full medical record and decided to take the chance.

5 star bomb

EOG Master

His brother was damn good the year he got hurt. Was never the same player. Still is a great defensive OF, just no plate discipline at all. If Dusty cannot help him, then no one can. Dusty is a great hitting instructor.

oh ya... the year he got hurt he was playing unbelievable. He was a 5 tool machine. Had a little pop, drove in runs, fast as hell, played good defense... unfortunately he never got back to that level

mofome

Banned

Cubs are in the middle of the pack when it comes to farm systems, like I have stated a million times. Now days teams are very hesitant as they should be to unload top farm talent for players. It was worth it for us with the position we are in and Harden is only 26 with contract thru 09.... So are you suggesting you know more than Billy Beane?

:rolleyes:

Nope, i already stated why Oak made the deal. btw, baseball genius, hows this grab ya?

Athletics acquired catcher Josh Donaldson from the Cubs as part of the Rich Harden trade.
The 22-year-old backstop is hitting .217 with six homers in 235 at-bats for Single-A Peoria this season after being selected by the Cubs in the second round of the 2007 draft. He was supposed to have a better bat than glove, so it's not exactly a great start.

:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO

5 star bomb

EOG Master

Nope, i already stated why Oak made the deal. btw, baseball genius, hows this grab ya?

ummm not every player gets off to a good start. good scouts can see thru the struggles. Baseball is unlike any other sport. It is a hard transition. Donaldson has the tools to be a very good player... we'll find out eventually....

mofome

Banned

ummm not every player gets off to a good start. good scouts can see thru the struggles. Baseball is unlike any other sport. It is a hard transition. Donaldson has the tools to be a very good player... we'll find out eventually....

The Devil

EOG Master

agree with mo.....a's waited for harden to get healthy and pulled the trigger as soon as he did............

I know AJ Burnett's stats are not the greatest, but if you move him back to the NL, he could be a steal.

5 star bomb

EOG Master

Not sure why you are laughing? There are thousands of examples of 1st year minor leagues not doing well.... For example

Geovany Soto

1hr, 20rbi, 15bb, 33k, .260 avg, .327 obp, .387 slg.

Oh and yea... He is the NL ALL STAR Catcher

:LMAO :LMAO :LMAO :LMAO

mofome

Banned

Not sure why you are laughing? There are thousands of examples of 1st year minor leagues not doing well.... For example

Geovany Soto

1hr, 20rbi, 15bb, 33k, .260 avg, .327 obp, .387 slg.

Oh and yea... He is the NL ALL STAR Catcher

Soto was draft when he was what, 18? When he was 18 he hit .260 in rookie league ball. At 21 he hit .271 at AA; not exactly comparable to a guy thats 22 and batting .210 in single a, but baseball isn't really your thing. Not even the Cubs, apparently.

:cheers