Exactly 60 years ago....

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Bill Maz hits a game winning home run in the ninth inning of the 1960 World Series...I was nine years old and rooting for the Pirates....Trivia question, who was the Yankee left fielder looking up at that home run?

Crazy Pete

EOG Addicted
Etched in my mind for 60 years...Yogi Berra.
I was 6, and watched the game.
I lived in NY at the time, & the Yankees were the first sports team I rooted for.
NY outscored the Pirates by a humongous amount. Lost 4 games by 1, crushed the Pirates in 3 games, something like 9-0, 12-1 & 14-2.
With no historic perspective, a 6 y/o rooting for a team because they had a Mickey & a Yogi (and great Ballantine Beer jingles), I thought that was the unfairest sporting result ever.
Now of course, having gone through 60 years of bad beat experiences ... I STILL think NY losing that series was the unfairest sporting result ever!😡

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Etched in my mind for 60 years...Yogi Berra.
I was 6, and watched the game.
I lived in NY at the time, & the Yankees were the first sports team I rooted for.
NY outscored the Pirates by a humongous amount. Lost 4 games by 1, crushed the Pirates in 3 games, something like 9-0, 12-1 & 14-2.
With no historic perspective, a 6 y/o rooting for a team because they had a Mickey & a Yogi (and great Ballantine Beer jingles), I thought that was the unfairest sporting result ever.
Now of course, having gone through 60 years of bad beat experiences ... I STILL think NY losing that series was the unfairest sporting result ever!😡

I remember like it was yesterday....nothing like skipping school and watching day time baseball..and talking about an unfair sporting result, the 1964 Phillies not getting to the World Series...6.5 game lead with 10 to play....

Crazy Pete

EOG Addicted
OK Viejo; Return trivia question:
Despite the walk off game 7 Series winner, Mazeroski did NOT win Series MVP award.
Who did?

Also a trivia note: Ralph Terry gave up that Game 7 walk off hit.
Two years later, he came extremely close to doing it again. If Willie McCovey’s line drive smash was not hit right at Bobby Richardson’s head, which he caught, SF would have walked of with the 1962 World Series.
Also, Ralph Terry was the starting pitcher. No reliever used.
How times have changed.

skinny

EOG Addicted
Mazeroski was put in the Hof by the veterans committee in 2000.
By far the worst stats of any hall of famer.
260 lifetime hitter with 130 hr.

Mazeroski was put in the Hof by the veterans committee in 2000.
By far the worst stats of any hall of famer.
260 lifetime hitter with 130 hr.

Maybe they gave it to him because he published the famous baseball annual all those years...

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
It is a photo finish at the wire between Bill Maz and Phil Rizutto as to who is the worst player in the HOF

Hard to argue for/against either one

Crazy Pete

EOG Addicted
Bobby Richardson was the MVP in the 1960 ws.

Correct.
What’s unique about that is Richardson played for the losing team.
It’s the only time that happened in MLB.

It happened once in the NFL, Chuck Howley in SB V.

In the NBA, Jerry West did it in 1969.

The reason for that quirk is that the MVP vote was taken before the end of the game back then.
I believe for sponsorship reasons.