Eye on the Markets: Coronavirus Stocks/Investments thread

bishqqq

EOG Addicted
"Idk if anyone can make money from this, but there is an aluminum can shortage here in Michigan. Stores haven’t been able to accept cans and bottles (deposit law), they use them to make the new cans. Very good chance there will be no pop or beer in cans for the Memorial Day weekend ".....Funny you mention this..........i work in a can factory in Ohio.....we usually have 150 to 200 aluminium coils, in our inventory. These are only 10k lb. coils, not the huge ones the beverage can makers use, we are food division. But I've noticed we got less then 50 coils @ our plant, & that never happens. You might be onto something. We ship 200k lbs of scrap per week to a recycling plant near Dayton. We get most of our alum. from an Alcoa plant in Ind.

Valuist

EOG Master
I see New Relic (NEWR) really took off in after hours after reporting blowout earnings. I first became aware of them last year, as MLB was using their software. Big data analytics and 5G the two big tech trends for the next few years.

TobyTyler

EOG Dedicated
Few days ago the day traders already had their moment of glory earlier this week with MARK (thermal camera) when came out they were installing at Disney. Perhaps some pro sports teams buy them also.

So the DKNG earnings report came out today and unexpectedly DKNG is taking off in the positive direction.

Currently trading above 29

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Are they really considering doing that? Nothing more annoying that when some stadium worker has to try to rile up the crowd.

I don't think fans at the stadium would even know, it would be from a production booth for TV. This is assuming there are even fans.

Valuist

EOG Master
Dave Portnoy from Barstool was just on Fast Money. Great line from a rant from him: "when did we go from flattening the curve to having to have (an immediate) a cure"?

MrTop

EOG Master
mark cuban wants the government to start putting people to work. 2+million Which means taxes for gov't & food in pockets for many. Doing what ? roads , bridges. Trump said he knows how to build things but afraid to step up to the plate vs. a good slider ( the economy )

mr merlin

EOG Master
mark cuban wants the government to start putting people to work. 2+million Which means taxes for gov't & food in pockets for many. Doing what ? roads , bridges. Trump said he knows how to build things but afraid to step up to the plate vs. a good slider ( the economy )
Cuban impresses me less and less all the time. Open the restaurants and bars and you put 5 million back to work just like that, with no govt needed.

MrTop

EOG Master
Cuban impresses me less and less all the time. Open the restaurants and bars and you put 5 million back to work just like that, with no govt needed.

U.S. infrastructure needs exceed $2 trillion, American Society of Civil Engineers says

https://transportationtodaynews.com...ion-american-society-of-civil-engineers-says/

who is going to fix the roads , dams, airports etc ...

in 3 years china poured more concrete than the USA did in 100 years.

you would not have federal highways & social security without the gov't

mr merlin

EOG Master
U.S. infrastructure needs exceed $2 trillion, American Society of Civil Engineers says

https://transportationtodaynews.com...ion-american-society-of-civil-engineers-says/

who is going to fix the roads , dams, airports etc ...

in 3 years china poured more concrete than the USA did in 100 years.

you would not have federal highways & social security without the gov't
I didn't say they aren't needed for anything, I said they aren't needed to solve this self inflicted problem.

MrTop

EOG Master
I didn't say they aren't needed for anything, I said they aren't needed to solve this self inflicted problem.

what makes you think everyone will go back to work ??? even if you open the models in businesses have changed. You will see there will be plenty of unemployed even after the restrictions are taken off. What will you do with the people ???

mr merlin

EOG Master
what makes you think everyone will go back to work ??? even if you open the models in businesses have changed. You will see there will be plenty of unemployed even after the restrictions are taken off. What will you do with the people ???
That false argument has been used for weeks now..."yea, even if you reopen, the people wont come" well then they have nothing to fear.

What we've seen in wisconsin and other places is people are desperate to get out. That narrative is false, as are most from the media today.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
That false argument has been used for weeks now..."yea, even if you reopen, the people wont come" well then they have nothing to fear.

What we've seen in wisconsin and other places is people are desperate to get out. That narrative is false, as are most from the media today.
One of my Indiana customers - busy 1st day, dead for the next four days, Saturday busy (mainly Michigan and Illinois customers).

MrTop

EOG Master

did you watch what the FED guy said yesterday... ? it will be slow till end of 2021

ComptrBob

EOG Master
you would not have federal highways without the gov't

Private companies built most of the federal highways (along with the states), all the feds do is fund the cost at 90% with taxpayers' money and the gas tax.

you would not have social security without the gov't

I'm almost 73, been collecting SS for almost 11 years now. What's my ROI from this great federal program you ask? Around +0.32% after inflation. That's right, last year it was -0.11%, basically I have just got my original money back, some of which was collected over 54 years ago. OTOH, my IRA and Qualified Retirement Plan have returned around 4% after inflation and of course, I have much more control over the distributions.

MrTop

EOG Master
Private companies built most of the federal highways (along with the states), all the feds do is fund the cost at 90% with taxpayers' money and the gas tax.

I'm almost 73, been collecting SS for almost 11 years now. What's my ROI from this great federal program you ask? Around +0.32% after inflation. That's right, last year it was -0.11%, basically I have just got my original money back, some of which was collected over 54 years ago. OTOH, my IRA and Qualified Retirement Plan have returned around 4% after inflation and of course, I have much more control over the distributions.

i never said the gov't built it ... the highway system was put in for the military... they need access to the airforce bases.

MrTop

EOG Master

i never said it was a good investment.... there are people that needed help like when they lose their father in war at 1 year old , The soldier had to go in cause the well off would not go in. .... the mother gets SS right away

Last edited:

ComptrBob

EOG Master
i never said it was a good investment.... there are people that needed help like when they lose their father in war at 1 year old , The soldier had to go in cause the well off would not go in. .... the mother gets SS right away

Yeah, but I am saying that SS is a bad investment for most people. From the various payment schemes, I predicted what SS would cost me in lost savings. I made up for it in my IRA and QRP. I have no objection to making it voluntary, and its interesting to note that state and federal employees are exempt from SS and have much more beneficial programs for themselves.

MrTop

EOG Master
Yeah, but I am saying that SS is a bad investment for most people. From the various payment schemes, I predicted what SS would cost me in lost savings. I made up for it in my IRA and QRP. I have no objection to making it voluntary, and its interesting to note that state and federal employees are exempt from SS and have much more beneficial programs for themselves.

I would never say i am smarter than you. All i said was we would not have social security & fed highways with out the gov't... i would never get into that discussion with you about that. What is a better investment. Like i would not want to call out Lebron saying he stinks in front of him in basketball... I know he would beat me. All i know is some facts.

there is some good in SS it is not all bad. Fixing roads , dams that produce electricity , bridges has to be done. Now ?? i don't know that part I am not the gov't ...If it needs to be done it has to be done at sometime.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
DKNG (DEAC) already over 30 at the moment

LFG!!!!!!

Yep, thanks for posting, you brought this to my attention. I bought a couple of days before the IPO at 17+ and I'm selling today at around 30.40. Its valuation is really high, especially when DKNG may not make a profit for 4 or 5 more quarters.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
i did not say anything more than that. You are the one that made a big deal of it. I never said the word investment & i know why the highways are there

Thanks for the news flash, SS is 85 years old and the development of the major federal interstate system was 55 to 65 years ago.

Yep, thanks for posting, you brought this to my attention. I bought a couple of days before the IPO at 17+ and I'm selling today at around 30.40. Its valuation is really high, especially when DKNG may not make a profit for 4 or 5 more quarters.

I was thinking about the valuation being down as well with sports on hiatus. I was ready to buy more on Friday with their earnings report being released. To my surprise, Friday was one of their best days yet. I’m hanging on to this for the long haul as I see booming potential next few years.

Happy to see you profited off advice from a moron like myself.

Valuist

EOG Master
Market is insanely overpriced now, even based on 2019 earnings, which nobody is going to be able to achieve for a few years.

Market is insanely overpriced now, even based on 2019 earnings, which nobody is going to be able to achieve for a few years.

Yes and no

There will be a lot of stocks that crash from this fallout

Others are going to thrive from the readjustments to our consumer industry

ComptrBob

EOG Master
Happy to see you profited off advice from a moron like myself.

C'mon man, I give credit where credit is due.

I honestly don't think I ever called you a moron, I like reading your sports perspectives.

I do think your political perspective is extremely biased and as a result its virtually impossible having a rational discussion.

NB: I have saved "moron" for BR, who I have on Ignore.

Valuist

EOG Master
Yes and no

There will be a lot of stocks that crash from this fallout

Others are going to thrive from the readjustments to our consumer industry

There will be a few that thrive. But there will be many more that won't. A small handful of tech is propping up the entire market.