Eye on the Markets: Coronavirus Stocks/Investments thread

Valuist

EOG Master
The American dollar is falling.

Gold and silver are rising slowly.

Get ready for a rough ride coming in the next six months.

Rough ride? You mean a great ride. I have been loaded on gold and silver. Granted I've had it for about 4 years so it took about 2.5 years to get going, but it isn't stopping soon.

MrTop

EOG Master
LMT - Lockheed martin will go on a run here... I bought after the covid19 crash... this will keep making money.. Big defense bill coming for trump to sign down the road to fight against china and russia

pro analyser

EOG Dedicated
Dollar worth 93.98 Euro 1.06 when market tanked Mar 23 today up to 1.17 GBP was 1.16 on Mar 23 today 1.28 Dollar going down the tubes.

Dollar worth 93.98 Euro 1.06 when market tanked Mar 23 today up to 1.17 GBP was 1.16 on Mar 23 today 1.28 Dollar going down the tubes.

Down the tubes is a bit rash don't you think? Dollar has shown incredible strength for 7 years now and gained strength at the start of this year. It really needs to go down to balance out world trade. Like all these trends people are pointing out they have runs and you can make some money on them as long as you are trading it and managing risk.

MrTop

EOG Master
Yet for all the unknowns, gold performs really well over the long term. In the last five years, the metal has returned 11% annually compared with the S&P 500 Index’s 11.5%, so you’re getting profits as well as peace of mind. Exchange-traded funds make it easy and affordable to invest in the commodity. Investors should steer clear of ETFs that aren’t backed by the physical metal itself. You want that extra security of knowing there’s bullion in a vault supporting the fund’s price.

gold 1966

The gold trade has entered the bubble phase, a last blow off top is coming. Probably trades up into the low to mid 2000s and then comes crashing down. Make your money while you can friends!

pro analyser

EOG Dedicated
Gold and silver not even close to a bubble. Definitely not over valued. Where do people put there money: Not in the market=overvalued. Not in a bank online banks only giving 1% compared to 2.2 last yr.

MrTop

EOG Master
Pfizer Beats Forecasts as Vaccine Trial Enters Final Stage
Drugmaker on Monday started pivotal phase of testing Covid-19 vaccine in 30,000 people

symbol - PFE

Gold and silver not even close to a bubble. Definitely not over valued. Where do people put there money: Not in the market=overvalued. Not in a bank online banks only giving 1% compared to 2.2 last yr.

These patterns happen time and time again, funny they eventually end up the same way. Gold makes a blow off run, retraces much of the gain, then sits and goes nowhere for many years until the next "this is it" moment comes along. That's the beauty of understanding how the trend works, you can make the entirety of your expected gain in a year and then go follow something else.

Valuist

EOG Master
These patterns happen time and time again, funny they eventually end up the same way. Gold makes a blow off run, retraces much of the gain, then sits and goes nowhere for many years until the next "this is it" moment comes along. That's the beauty of understanding how the trend works, you can make the entirety of your expected gain in a year and then go follow something else.

Want a blow off top due to implode? Tesla. Gold's move up has been slow and steady. Support levels much stronger, unlike a momentum name loaded with Robin Hood traders.

MrTop

EOG Master

gold keeps bouncing back if it drops... always did.... not better than a good stock ...but better than cash in the bank.. only problem is the metal is not as liquid

Want a blow off top due to implode? Tesla. Gold's move up has been slow and steady. Support levels much stronger, unlike a momentum name loaded with Robin Hood traders.

Funny. There are some people who put their life savings into Tesla like its the only company that matters in the world. Even funnier when they defend it with a HODL like attitude that you heard from Bitcoin people a few years ago.

MrTop

EOG Master
1. Sports-focused SPAC co-chaired by Billy Beane files for $500 million IPO
2. Rush Street To Go Public, Becoming Latest Sports Betting Operator To Join SPAC Party. The Chicago-based company projects 2021 revenue of $320 million

ComptrBob

EOG Master
State and federal employees have not been exempt from Social Security for a long time. Has been for at least 30 years (feds -1990) -- most likely before 1987 (states). The non-exemption probably ended at the same time for both. (Dates based on personal knowledge.) Remember my Mom mentioning that federal employees would have to start paying social security taxes,
but don't remember the time frame. I'm guessing sometime in the 1980's before 1987.

Feel free to research the exact date.

This is incorrect. This only applies to states that don't have a separate state retirement program and thus pay into social security. I was posting about the dozen states and some localities where state employees do not pay social security taxes including California, Illinois, Mass, Nevada, Ohio and Texas.

From the GAO report published in 2005:

Social Security covers about 96 percent of all U.S. workers; the vast majority of the rest are state, local, and federal government employees. While these noncovered workers do not pay Social Security taxes on their government earnings, they may still be eligible for Social Security benefits.

Social Security's provisions regarding public employees are rooted in the fact that about one-fourth of them do not pay Social Security taxes on the earnings from their government jobs, for various historical reasons

Last edited:

MrTop

EOG Master
Why didn’t any of you assholes call out Eastman Kodak before today?

Eastman Kodak shares are on an extraordinary run, gaining roughly 300% Wednesday and 200% Tuesday before slipping 10% on Thursday.

A 25% gain came on Monday, before The Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday that the company had landed a $765 million government loan, authorized under the Defense Production Act, to help the U.S. bring production of ingredients for generic drugs back onshore. The company and U.S. International Development Finance Corp. confirmed the news later in the day.

Bitcoin trying to make a run, maybe the Robinhood traders are seeing the market kind of top out a bit and are back to trying to make some money there instead.

Foresthill

EOG Addicted
Social Security covers about 96 percent of all U.S. workers; the vast majority of the rest are state, local, and federal government employees. While these noncovered workers do not pay Social Security taxes on their government earnings, they may still be eligible for Social Security benefits.

I was a federal government employee, almost all before 2005 (date of your source), and paid social security taxes in every pay period I worked. So this GAO report doesn't have its facts straight. Some federal government employees may have been grandfathered in to being exempt from social security taxes. Maybe that is who the GAO report is referring to. Just a guess on my part.

Also, if they're eligible for social security benefits (i.e. While these noncovered workers do not pay Social Security taxes on their government earnings, they may still be eligible for Social Security benefits.), it would most likely be because they worked long enough in covered jobs where they paid social security taxes.

MrTop

EOG Master
SPACInsider

A Trusted Resource for Current Information on the SPAC market

SPAC = A special purpose acquisition company (SPAC), sometimes called blank-check company, is a shell company that has no operations but plans to go public with the intention of acquiring or merging with a company with the proceeds of the SPAC's initial public offering (IPO).[1][2] SPACs allow retail investors to invest in private equity type transactions, particularly leveraged buyouts.

While that’s usually not enough to persuade seasoned investors to part with their money, it has worked like a charm in these times of booming markets and practically free money. SPACs have been raising money and doing deals at a never-before-seen rate in 2020. SPAC initial public offerings are outpacing traditional IPOs this year. And some of the hottest new stocks began life as SPACs: Nikola (ticker: NKLA), DraftKings (DKNG), and Virgin Galactic Holdings (SPCE).

If you ever are going to jump into cryptos, now is the time. Don't miss out on another run. Older people are investing in gold, but younger people are going in to cryptos.

Last edited:

MrTop

EOG Master
raiders has been spot on with this crypto stuff. The banks will start soon with custody of crypto businesses.. which could lead to a number of things. When I seen on tv one day the ex fed chairman say bitcoin is the fastest way to move a lot of money is when i looked up and bought it. Who knows maybe the banks will buyout paypal one day and use bitcoin.

raiders has been spot on with this crypto stuff. The banks will start soon with custody of crypto businesses.. which could lead to a number of things. When I seen on tv one day the ex fed chairman say bitcoin is the fastest way to move a lot of money is when i looked up and bought it. Who knows maybe the banks will buyout paypal one day and use bitcoin.

At some point though bitcoin has to be fairly stable with only small daily changes in value vs USD or really any currency. Businesses can't operate when the value of their currency changes so much. Imagine if your business was accepting lots of bitcoin and the price fluctuated like it does today. You really wouldn't be in whatever business you think you are in, you would be in the business of bitcoin trading.