Eye on the Markets: Coronavirus Stocks/Investments thread

MrTop

EOG Master
At some point though bitcoin has to be fairly stable with only small daily changes in value vs USD or really any currency. Businesses can't operate when the value of their currency changes so much. Imagine if your business was accepting lots of bitcoin and the price fluctuated like it does today. You really wouldn't be in whatever business you think you are in, you would be in the business of bitcoin trading.

it is about 1-2 years away maybe sooner.. what you say sounds correct ..and the same reason why i don't play at bitcoin only sports books..

Valuist

EOG Master
If you ever are going to jump into cryptos, now is the time. Don't miss out on another run. Older people are investing in gold, but younger people are going in to cryptos.

I have a bit of exposure to cryptos thru the BLOK ETF. It's done well. But its a much smaller position than what I have in gold and silver. And if they have a pull back soon, it will be temporary.

MrTop

EOG Master
Twitter, TikTok Have Held Preliminary Talks About Possible Combination
Microsoft still seen as front-runner in bidding for video-sharing app’s U.S. operations

Market and a lot of things have gone crazy, but this is when the most money is made. Lots of people talking about going to cash but I'd wait until you confirm the rally is truly over and then get out.

MrTop

EOG Master
They got too far overextended too quickly (Gold and Silver). The long term trend is still in tact. Nothing goes up every day.

i think so too! i am buying on ETF's in the morning.. the same guys that are knee deep in gold bought it back .......they will come in again tomorrow IMO

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
And here I thought only President Trump tweets could sway the market 175 points negatively in 5 minutes. Well done Mitch McConnell. You sound like Tom Brokaw with mouth cancer.

MrTop

EOG Master
Berkshire Makes a Bet on Gold Market That Buffett Once Mocked

• Berkshire added Barrick Gold to portfolio in second quarter
  • Shares of Barrick, world’s second-largest gold miner, soared

Valuist

EOG Master
Berkshire Makes a Bet on Gold Market That Buffett Once Mocked

• Berkshire added Barrick Gold to portfolio in second quarter
  • Shares of Barrick, world’s second-largest gold miner, soared

Buffett was the biggest gold bear for years. Even he sees the writing on the wall.

Come on guys, I have read a handful of stories on this Barrick purchase by Buffett and I think every one of them got the story wrong. First of all, Warren Buffett buying something is the opposite of a confirmation of anything. When he reveals his purchases the trend is long gone. He probably bought the stock for an average price just above $20 and he did simple math to get into it. Gold miners, oil drillers, miners of any kind really are pretty simple math problems to solve. He saw that as long as gold held its price around the levels it was in April that the miners could yield a decent profit. That's it. There is nothing about how much should gold sell for, should gold rally, is gold price right today, etc. This is like a betting syndicate seeing some rule change in a sport and figuring out its worth a 1 or 2 a game and hitting the game in every book they can find until they think its been priced out. Then someone else figures it out and puts it on Vsin or wherever and next thing you know the followers have moved the line another 2 points.

Besides why is Buffett so important anyways? The guy follows the simplest methods ever, almost all covered in a book that was published in the 1930s. Further he's given about all the insight you need to know in all his letters over the years. Why do people get so fired up about his investments? Don't people understand he just ran lucky for a few decades and parlayed that into a big portfolio that now doesn't really outperform? The dude even tells you just put your money in S&P 500 and not my stock.

MrTop

EOG Master
Come on guys, I have read a handful of stories on this Barrick purchase by Buffett and I think every one of them got the story wrong. First of all, Warren Buffett buying something is the opposite of a confirmation of anything. When he reveals his purchases the trend is long gone. He probably bought the stock for an average price just above $20 and he did simple math to get into it. Gold miners, oil drillers, miners of any kind really are pretty simple math problems to solve. He saw that as long as gold held its price around the levels it was in April that the miners could yield a decent profit. That's it. There is nothing about how much should gold sell for, should gold rally, is gold price right today, etc. This is like a betting syndicate seeing some rule change in a sport and figuring out its worth a 1 or 2 a game and hitting the game in every book they can find until they think its been priced out. Then someone else figures it out and puts it on Vsin or wherever and next thing you know the followers have moved the line another 2 points.

Besides why is Buffett so important anyways? The guy follows the simplest methods ever, almost all covered in a book that was published in the 1930s. Further he's given about all the insight you need to know in all his letters over the years. Why do people get so fired up about his investments? Don't people understand he just ran lucky for a few decades and parlayed that into a big portfolio that now doesn't really outperform? The dude even tells you just put your money in S&P 500 and not my stock.

following sure.... but 12% is still 12% today

Valuist

EOG Master

Gold was the RIGHT purchase long before Buffett put his stamp on it. It's one thing to be in denial, but Jesus at some point people have to admit they were wrong. Buffett did. It's ok to change one's mind in the market.

pro analyser

EOG Dedicated

Buffet has averaged a 20% gain per year for 55 years vs 10% for the SP 500. That blew my mind when I researched it.

pro analyser

EOG Dedicated
Berkshire Hathaway has posted average annual returns of 17.1% since 1985, well ahead of the broader stock market's 10.5% including dividends. If you'd invested $10,000 in Berkshire Hathaway at the start of 1985 you'd now have $2.4 million; the same principal in the S&P 500 would now be worth about $227,000.Sep 22, 2019

pro analyser

EOG Dedicated
Berkshire Hathaway, his conglomerate, has earned an annual return of 20.5 percent since he gained control in 1965. That's better than twice the annual return of the Standard & Poor 500-stock index's 9.7 percent total annual return.Mar 1, 2019

Berkshire Hathaway, his conglomerate, has earned an annual return of 20.5 percent since he gained control in 1965. That's better than twice the annual return of the Standard & Poor 500-stock index's 9.7 percent total annual return.Mar 1, 2019

Stop living in the past. He did great, outran the market a long time. He was lucky the market worked for a value buyer. But it's not a question of what he did before, it's what will he do in the future. Last 10 years haven't been so hot.
https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/02/25/the-1-thing-warren-buffetts-critics-are-missing.aspx

MrTop

EOG Master
And with tech stocks making up a record 37% of the S&P 500, the pullback could drag down the entire index. As such, it would be smart to spread your eggs a bit wider

You could look into classic anti-crisis investments like gold or blue-chip stocks. Another way to limit your reliance on tech stocks is to switch to an ETF fund that tracks the S&P 500 Equal Weight Index.

The largest ETF of this kind is Invesco S&P 500® Equal Weight ETF ---- RSP

Unlike the standard S&P index fund, this one doesn’t take into account the stock’s weight. That means an ETF fund that tracks it will spread your investment over 505 stocks in equal parts, regardless of weight.

This way, you’ll invest in a more diversified basket of America’s top stocks without banking 37% of your money on tech stocks.