Feb 22, 1980.....Forty years ago today!

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
If you are at least 50 y/o odds are you remember what happened. If not - no way to explain. Just watch the video and get chills

You Tube is not allowing the video to be embed here so here is the link to seeing it on You Tube:

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Not the greatest upset in sports but at the time it felt like it was....

Railbird’s Russian comrades got their ass handed to them....

The single greatest upset of a single event has to be Buster Douglas over Mike Tyson at around 42-1 odds

The single greatest upset EVER is Leicester City winning the 2015-16 Premier League at 5000-1 odds...............or over 100 times more than Douglas

On my YouTube feed the full game video showed up about a week ago. I watched a bit of it just to see how those guys played back then. The blue tinted ice is quite hard on the eyes. Also, how in the fuck did we watch hockey without HD???

I liked how many of the Soviet players watched the American players celebrate after the game with amusement judging by the looks on their faces. The Russians were such unemotional robots they seemed to be somewhat enjoying seeing that such happiness could be involved in the game.

Also like how coach Brooks immediately left for the locker room to let the boys enjoy themselves and not take up any of the spotlight. Also think he did that to send the message their work wasn’t finished because if they didn’t beat Finland two days later they wouldn’t even receive a medal.

kane

EOG master
I don't remember the name of it, but ESPN did a 30/30 on the game but from the Russian's perspective, it was really good, very well done. For anyone who hasn't seen it or heard of it, it's well worth your time

The single greatest upset of a single event has to be Buster Douglas over Mike Tyson at around 42-1 odds

The single greatest upset EVER is Leicester City winning the 2015-16 Premier League at 5000-1 odds...............or over 100 times more than Douglas

I still remember what a surreal feeling it was when Tyson didn’t get up. I can still see the looks on the faces from the party I was at. It felt like the world was out of synch

kane

EOG master
That US team was in the mother of all let down spots, which made beating Finland even more impressive

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
That US team was in the mother of all let down spots, which made beating Finland even more impressive

They were actually down 2-1 heading into 3P, too

I recall waking up just before 8A to watch the game. Technically it was not a TRUE Gold Medal Game because had Finland won then Russia woulda won the Gold

The one thing most noticeable was: Russia NEVER pulled the goalie. The poplar belief was they never practiced it and it makes sense. No need to do so when you are winning every game by multiple goals