Flacco headed to Denver

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
Will Brinson and cbssportsline.com
Joe Flacco reportedly heading to Broncos in trade as Ravens shake up offseason QB market
The former Super Bowl champion who once famously beat Denver en route to a title is headed to the Broncos

John Elway once saw Joe Flacco steal a shot at a Broncos Super Bowl title away from Denver, and now he's going to give Flacco a chance to bring the Broncos a title. On Wednesday, news broke that Denver has agreed to acquire the former Super Bowl MVP in a trade with the Ravens the first domino to fall on the offseason QB market.

This is a shocking trade, there are no two ways about it. The Broncos were thought to be players in the free agent market or perhaps even the draft, with Case Keenum serving as a mild-to-major disappointment in his only season. with Denver. He didn't put up numbers like he did in Minnesota, but surely the Broncos didn't think he would?
Maybe they did, as Elway's solution is now Flacco, who has been largely mediocre in his entire career save for a very hot stretch of football in the playoffs that led to the Ravens winning the Super Bowl and Flacco becoming the highest-paid quarterback in football.

Flacco was out in Baltimore after the Ravens drafted Lamar Jackson.. No matter how 2018 played out, it was going to be Flacco's last season with the Ravens. The only question was whether or not hey could find someone to take his contract in a trade. It seemed fairly unlikely, but then Denver popped up as a suitor, sort of out of nowhere.

Jackson took over for Flacco midway through the season with Flacco injured and the Ravens struggling. Baltimore retooled its offense on the fly, becoming a run-heavy team and eventually winning the AFC North and making the playoffs.

The Ravens would lose in the first round of the playoffs to the Chargers amid catcalls from the crowd for Harbaugh to switch to Flacco in the second half,, but Harbaugh stuck by his guns and left his rookie quarterback in there. Jackson nearly completed a comeback on Los Angeles, and it's possible the decision to roll with Jackson helped to earn Harbaugh a large contract extension with the Ravens in the offseason.

For the Ravens, this is a massive win. They get Flacco out of town, sending him to a potential contender and making everyone happy in the process. They also don't have to cut the guy who brought the franchise its second Super Bowl. The Ravens will take on a $16 million dead cap hit with the trade, but they were going to have to pay some price for Flacco's deal in 2019 regardless. What a coup by Eric DeCosta in what is essentially his opening act as GM.

All I can say is shame on you Doug Marrone for watching the parade go by missing out on the opportunity of upgrading from Blake Bortles.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Will former Denver starter Case Keenum serve as Flacco's back-up?

Vic Fangio, the former Bears defensive coordinator, is the new head coach in Denver.

Valuist

EOG Master
Is Flacco capable of winning the job from Keenum? Maybe in 2012-2013.

Talk about a guy getting lightning in a bottle for a month.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Flacco's claim-to-fame is his career playoff record of 10-5 and, of course, his Super Bowl MVP performance in 2013.

I'll credit Flacco for winning seven of the 10 playoff games on the road.

TheGuesser

EOG Dedicated
They both stink, but I think Keenum is more capable of surviving on a team with a crap OL than Flacco. Flacco is basically a younger Eli at this point. You can't win with that unless you have a great OL, and I don't think really great OL's exist anymore.
Be interesting to see if Denver is able to get anything for Keenum, or will they just cut him. He's still a viable backup, and wouldn't be bad as a backup/fallback for the team that drafts Kyler Murray.

Last edited:

E$

EOG Dedicated
I don’t think there is a worse job in sports than being the Broncos quarterback. Fans here expect way too much out of them. I feel bad for Flacco, he’ll probably get about 6 games before fans are ready to run him out of town.

I’m a lifelong Broncos fan and Elway is my all time favorite QB. With that being said-I think Elway should be wearing a ski mask when he cashed his checks as GM

kane

EOG master
I’m a lifelong Broncos fan and Elway is my all time favorite QB. With that being said-I think Elway should be wearing a ski mask when he cashed his checks as GM

His track record on signing/drafting QB's hasn't been great, the only good move was signing Manning, but that was a no brainer. I don't see where Flacco helps them, his best days are well behind him, I would rather take a shot with one of the young guys in the draft as opposed to signing a guy with little left in his tank. Of course anything can happen, and maybe Flacco has a resurgence, but on paper the Broncos are no better than third in their division