Floyd Mayweather Jr. accused HBO?s announcers of bias against Blacks

Mayweather Jr. accuses HBO announcers of bias

9 hours, 42 minutes ago
  • <form method="post" action="http://buzz.yahoo.com/vote/" class="buzzvote" target="_new"> <input name="from" value="orion" type="hidden"> <input name="assettype" value="article" type="hidden"> <input name="guid" value="urn:newsml:sports.yahoo,ap:20050301:box,article,ap-mayweather-hbo:1" type="hidden"> <input name="publisherurn" value="y_sports" type="hidden"> <input name=".crumb" value="OOupoNx81uz" type="hidden"> <input name="votetype" value="1" type="hidden"> <input name=".done" value="/article/y_sports/urn:newsml:sports.yahoo,ap:20050301:box,article,ap-mayweather-hbo:1" type="hidden"> <button type="submit">Buzz Up</button> </form>
  • Print

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (AP)?Recently retired boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. accused HBO?s announcers of bias against him and other black fighters.
Mayweather, a 31-year-old former Olympic bronze medalist from Grand Rapids, told The Grand Rapids Press in an interview Friday that the network ?is great,? but criticized its boxing announcers.
?They talk about Kelly Pavlik, a white fighter, like he?s the second coming. Or they go crazy over Manny Pacquiao. But I?m a black fighter,? Mayweather said. ?Is it racial? Absolutely. They praise white fighters, they praise Hispanic fighters, whatever. But black fighters, they never praise.
?I?ve noticed it for a long time but I couldn?t say anything because I had to do business with them. I?ll still do business with them, but I?m done holding my tongue.?

HBO Sports president Ross Greenburg said in a statement that the network, which has carried many of Mayweather?s fights, was disappointed to hear of the boxer?s remarks and denied his claims.
?Floyd is a tremendous athlete who gave his all to the sport. We have nothing but admiration for what he accomplished in the ring,? Greenburg said. ?His remarks regarding HBO broadcasters and executives are unfortunate and we could not disagree more.?
Mayweather gave the interview on the first day of a three-day retirement celebration in downtown Grand Rapids. Boxing?s pound-for-pound king abruptly retired last month at the peak of his athletic skill and earning power.
?I?m happy. I feel clear. I feel free as a bird,? he told the newspaper. ?I feel good that I can finally speak out, and say the things I want to say.?
Mayweather called it quits at the close of a remarkable 18-month stretch in which he beat Oscar De La Hoya and Ricky Hatton, made more than $50 million in the ring and became a bankable celebrity outside it.
In the past year alone, Mayweather has appeared on ?Dancing With the Stars,? worked on his record label, served as the honorary starter at the Indianapolis 500 and entered the wrestling ring for a choreographed tussle.

Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. accused HBO?s announcers of bias against Blacks

He didn't consider the fact that maybe they don't like him not because he's black, but because he's a douchebag who lacks any semblance of humility or class?

THE HITMAN

EOG Dedicated

Looks like chit. Smells like chit. Tastes like chit. Geez, Good thing we didn't step in it !

ballwonder

EOG Master

Kelly Pavlik is a very good fighter, maybe Mayweather missed that part.

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

I hate to agree with him, but I will. And this has gone all the way back to Jack Johnson. Think about the term "Great White Hope". I have seen white fighters just glorified mainly because they were white. But HBO's announcers are merely pandering to the public, telling them what they want to hear. You may not like Mayweather, but he is a sharp individual. Many people hated Lennox Lewis, because he had the audacity to speak his mind. Same as Ali. Foreman was really hated until he became a parody of himself. If you ever see the life story of one of the greatest black fighters ever, Joe Louis, and how he gave everything to his country, only to get trashed by them, going along with the program just gets you shafted at the end. Good for Floyd.

OF...:cheers

I hate to agree with him, but I will. And this has gone all the way back to Jack Johnson. Think about the term "Great White Hope". I have seen white fighters just glorified mainly because they were white. But HBO's announcers are merely pandering to the public, telling them what they want to hear. You may not like Mayweather, but he is a sharp individual. Many people hated Lennox Lewis, because he had the audacity to speak his mind. Same as Ali. Foreman was really hated until he became a parody of himself. If you ever see the life story of one of the greatest black fighters ever, Joe Louis, and how he gave everything to his country, only to get trashed by them, going along with the program just gets you shafted at the end. Good for Floyd.

yes, floyd is a genius. he really knows how to play the race card. way to go, floyd, woo hoo!!! times are a bit different now that in Jack Johnson's time. and joe louis got trashed by the irs, not the people. get a clue.

floyd avoids the tough fights because he wants to play it safe, just like he fights: safe. yes he is great, but he never puts himself out there to take a fight against a top fighter. we all know hatton was easy prey, and de la hoya is 8 years past his prime. who has kelly pavlik fought, well an epic classic with taylor for one. he was out on his feet and emerged and whipped taylor's ass. mayweather has never done anything special in the ring, never triumphed over true adversity, and avoid the best competition of the times.

stick and move, stick and move, hit and run, floyd does it in the ring, and in life with his mouth. don't try a put mayweather in the same category with ali and louis, those guys fought with heart and spoke with their hearts. they didnt duck competition because they could make 20% more fighting a weaker opponent with more notoriety.

mayweather just talks to be heard. it would be a pleasure to see him get his ass handed to him one day. and not because he is black. hell, his dad even said he needs his ass whooped.

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

yes, floyd is a genius. he really knows how to play the race card. way to go, floyd, woo hoo!!! times are a bit different now that in Jack Johnson's time. and joe louis got trashed by the irs, not the people. get a clue.

floyd avoids the tough fights because he wants to play it safe, just like he fights: safe. yes he is great, but he never puts himself out there to take a fight against a top fighter. we all know hatton was easy prey, and de la hoya is 8 years past his prime. who has kelly pavlik fought, well an epic classic with taylor for one. he was out on his feet and emerged and whipped taylor's ass. mayweather has never done anything special in the ring, never triumphed over true adversity, and avoid the best competition of the times.

stick and move, stick and move, hit and run, floyd does it in the ring, and in life with his mouth. don't try a put mayweather in the same category with ali and louis, those guys fought with heart and spoke with their hearts. they didnt duck competition because they could make 20% more fighting a weaker opponent with more notoriety.

mayweather just talks to be heard. it would be a pleasure to see him get his ass handed to him one day. and not because he is black. hell, his dad even said he needs his ass whooped.

Joe Louis got trashed by Ali himself, and called him nothing more than a disgrace and a white man's Uncle Tom. Ali and Joe Louis fought until thier brains were close to pudding, Floyd is getting out with all of his faculties. But in all reality I was going racist fishing with that post. Thanks for biting.

Best Wishes Mr. Blanderson...OF 91023i2ndw;l

Joe Louis got trashed by Ali himself, and called him nothing more than a disgrace and a white man's Uncle Tom. Ali and Joe Louis fought until thier brains were close to pudding, Floyd is getting out with all of his faculties. But in all reality I was going racist fishing with that post. Thanks for biting.

Best Wishes Mr. Blanderson...OF 91023i2ndw;l
nice catch. you got me, im a racist. you know all about me because i make a negative comment on floyd mayweather. solid work, and a real meaningful way to spend your time. wait for someone to call you on your nonsense, then call "bigot" rather than defend your point. joe louis and ali were from two different generations. also, joe louis was beloved and ali (at the time) was not. perhaps this was a sign of the times and the fact that louis wasnt outspoken against the establishment did get him more white fans. and that ali did speak his mind invited racial hatred from whites. no shit, sir. who doesnt know this? are you really giving us anything at all we dont already know? no.

to try and compare then and now isnt apples to apples. although, obviously, race is still an issue of which culturally we have a great deal of maturation to do, your comments only set things backward. boxing was a more important part of the social landscape, now it is just a spectator sport like anything else; but still a great sport IMO.

regardless of what you attempt to label me, floyd mayweather is not one of the all time greats fighters, he is one of the all time great talents who ducked real fights.

going race fishing? you're pathetic.

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

Yes, I'm pathetic, and your a brand new poster. Floyd, who you think did close to nothing beat the crap out of some of the toughest out there, that no one else could.

Diego Corrales, one of the toughest hombres out there, before he got wiped out

Castillo twice

N'dou

Arturo Gatti

Shamba Mitchell

Zab Judah

Not exactly bum of the month there.

And when you said he was playing the race card, not only did you identify yourself, you could not explain why he did, or what he had to gain. Because in reality, you only play a card when you have something to gain, he had nothing to gain. He has a very nice diverse career now, and walked away in his prime, something not many boxers ever do. Plus on top of all that, he is right, boxing is falling apart and they dream of a talented white fighter. But foist on us Ray Mancinis, Jerry Quarry and Jerry Cooney. Even Butterbean and loser Klitschko bros. You and raiders should talk boxing, or would you be talking to yourself? The apple never falls far from the tree, you are just like grandma aren't you.

I suspected that The Frog was one of the typical online bullies that you run into. Reading most recent posts all i see is just a steady string of running anyone down that he/she can. What a pitiful game to play. No thanks. I'll have to take the 5th when it comes to this Angry person.

Best wishes, Unhappy Frog!! :cya

Yes, I'm pathetic, and your a brand new poster. Floyd, who you think did close to nothing beat the crap out of some of the toughest out there, that no one else could.

Diego Corrales, one of the toughest hombres out there, before he got wiped out

Castillo twice

N'dou

Arturo Gatti

Shamba Mitchell

Zab Judah

Not exactly bum of the month there.

And when you said he was playing the race card, not only did you identify yourself, you could not explain why he did, or what he had to gain. Because in reality, you only play a card when you have something to gain, he had nothing to gain. He has a very nice diverse career now, and walked away in his prime, something not many boxers ever do. Plus on top of all that, he is right, boxing is falling apart and they dream of a talented white fighter. But foist on us Ray Mancinis, Jerry Quarry and Jerry Cooney. Even Butterbean and loser Klitschko bros. You and raiders should talk boxing, or would you be talking to yourself? The apple never falls far from the tree, you are just like grandma aren't you.

he did have something to gain. more attention. that is what he craves. just like you.

They didn't seem to racist when they were trying to shove Jermain Taylor down everyone's throat. HBO likes to push exciting fighters who may be able to draw fans. In the end race does not matter. That's the thing with Floyd, he can't draw a crowd on his own and he's not very exciting. That's not racism, it's reality. Pavlik and Pacquiao have something in common, they are both exciting fighters. You won't see people walking out of there fights.

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

HBO and boxing in general has been dealt a heavy blow from real fighting. They look for anything they can market and get ratings. Black fighters are low on the totem pole. In fact dead last. De La Hoya made a career of sticking and running, boring as hell, and he was the golden boy. Holmes and Lennox dominated the heavyweight division for decades, and yet they are close to afterthoughts. Probably more people remember butterbean and Jerry Cooney than them. If anything they force the Klitchko chumps down our throats in the worst era of heavyweights ever. Andrew Golota? Boxing best days are long, long gone, and everyone on HBO knows it. Wrestling and ultimate outdraw it now. I could not tell you who the top 3 heavyweights are in the multiple joke alphabet organizations. It does not matter anyway, no one else can either. I no longer pay per view anything. The sport is fading fast.

When was Butterbean ever shown on HBO? Andrew Golota has been on HBO 1 time in the last several years. Wladamir Klitchko has been the heavyweight champion or in the mix for quite a while so it makes sense they show him on HBO. Once again I will repeat that HBO likes exciting fighters or guys that have great KO's. Floyd is neither 1. Boxing isn't fading anywhere, they have had tons of great fights over the past few years but people are to stupid to realize it. :+textinb3

BTW- Yeah they are real racist, is that why LL commentates? he is AWEFULL and they keep his ass around anyways. After thought? He's brought up on the air all the time. HBO wants fighters that can make them money. White,green,black or blue it don't matter.

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

You are a hardcore boxing fan, the fringe fans are the ones leaving for other venues. Ultimate fighting has really sucked away a lot of viewers. I almost have to mute the HBO telecasts. I went from hardcore, to fringe, to who cares. I don't feel stupid, just lost interest. No longer my cup o tea. To each his own. Multiple causation for me. Too many belts, too many Don King promotions. To many dancing bear bouts. Ultimate fighting is just the real deal. I think the outragous ppv prices just ended it for me. Same reason I turned in my NBA season tickets. I can find a lot more entertainment value for my dollar elsewhere. If I want to see a success white American heavyweight I have to watch Rocky movies. I wonder how Tommy Morrison is doing?

Boxing's biggest issue is lack of superstars and they don't promote the sport correctly. That is what The Ultimate Fighting Garbage has over boxing. Dana White is a GREAT self promoter. If you look at the fights there is a lot of great fights in boxing but people are to dumb to look at that. There is no UFC fights that compare with the Rafael Marquez-Israel Vasquez fights.

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

I totally agree, lack of credible superstars and piss poor marketing. Especially the heavyweight division. I think the promoters shot themselves in the feet. They foisted on us what they thought we wanted, but in fact most of us just wanted competitive boxing. The Valuev sideshow pretty much says it all. You pretty much have to go welterweight and below to see anything good these days. And yet, those bouts tend to get minimal coverage. Plus a lot of defensive fighters like Winky sure does not help. Even Floyd prefers to counter rather than mix it up. The Mexicans and Pac Man are keeping it afloat. Another disaster is too much emphasis on washed up old big names. Those fights are usually snoozefest decisions. Whats next De La Hoya vs. Cesar Chavez? Not the jr.

Boxing's biggest issue is lack of superstars and they don't promote the sport correctly. That is what The Ultimate Fighting Garbage has over boxing. Dana White is a GREAT self promoter. If you look at the fights there is a lot of great fights in boxing but people are to dumb to look at that. There is no UFC fights that compare with the Rafael Marquez-Israel Vasquez fights.
both sports will co-exist.. i think UFC will eventually plateau and lose its momentum. boxing is still good, there are great fighters out there and i still much prefer it over MMA, which i think is a sport as well. i just don't enjoy it like boxing.
no MMA bout like the Corrales/Castillo fight, Ward/Gatti etc... i dont really care what is popular, people will still attend fights (especially the big ones), and i enjoy the "sweet science." i get bored by watching MMA. for me, once the initial shock value wears off, it is one shot and the fight is over, or 20 minutes worth of wrestling around on a mat. some people might like that better, i just don't.

why does everything we watch and enjoy have to be validated by some stupid TV rating and how it sold?

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

i actually agree with Frog and Mr Sanderson. I think if you mixed their first two post together you have as close to my thoughts as you can get. Sandman is totally right about what he said about Mayweather but Frog is right about the white issue because their just are not white fighters who come along that often. I think Hatton is a stiff but boy does he get pub. Pavlick also but he sure as hell deserves it. What comes to mind is this Joe Mesa (sp) character. He was like 22-0 and i kept hearing HBO pimping him out on commercials. Well i never saw him fight so i thought id check it out. Sure as hell he destroyed a stiff and what i got out of that fight was that Mesa was a stiff. They were praying for this great white hope and i think one or two fights later he got demolished because he stepped up the talent level a little. After playing politician here are any of you guys jonesing for the Margarito/Cotto fight? Mayweather wanted no part of Cotto. KInda wonder if Margarito beats Cotto(which i don't think will happen) Mayweather comes out of retirement.