For those interested: Map showing location of highest and lowest points of the 50 States

Foresthill

EOG Addicted
Checked with the USGS: (US Geological Survey)

Florida highest point is Britton Hill @ 345' in the Florida Panhandle at 50th place. Lowest 0' (seal level). (I thought I remember seeing on a Florida highway map the highest elevation being 80', my mistake.)

Delaware highest point 448' @ 49th place. Lowest 0' (sea level).

So, more accurately, Florida has the least elevation span of the 50 states at 345 feet. Lowest 0' (seal level).

Excerpts From Wikipedia on Florida Geography:

"Much of Florida has an elevation of less than 12 feet (3.7 m), including many populated areas such as Miami which are located on the coast. Miami and other parts of south Florida are the most vulnerable regions in the world to rising sea levels associated with climate change. "

Of the 48 contiguous states, California has both the highest and lowest elevations, Mount Whitney 14,505' above sea level and Death Valley -279' below sea level -- only 85 miles apart as the crow flies.

Louisiana only other state with land below sea level: New Orleans at -8'. Obviously extremely vulnerable.

Note: Both states with land below sea level have coastlines.

For contrast, Nebraska highest point: Panorama Point @ 5427, lowest point: Missouri River at Kansas Border @840'.

Running short on time and was unable to post map below with original post above

Red dots are highest point in each state, and green dots are lowest point in each state. No green dot equals coastline (sea level).

Map from wikipedia:

1550874584626.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Foresthill

EOG Addicted
I've been to the ones in Iowa, Minnesota, New Hampshire and California

When did you hike to the top of Mt. Whitney? Was it from Whitney Portal (Lone Pine, CA) side, or from the Kings Canyon/Giant Sequoia National Park side? Or did you hike all the way through, shuttling back and forth to drop off and pick up cars? And, if so, which direction?