Frank Gore...

Heim

EOG Master
Do you deny NFL's 4th all-time leading rusher a trip to Canton?

You don't think of him as a HOF player but he has to be in, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Two torn ACLs while at the University of Miami.

Dropped to the third round of the 2005 NFL Draft.

I've been rooting for him ever since.

kane

EOG master
The only issue I see is it took 15 years to amass all those yards.

What's the average career of a RB in years? The fact he's been able to play this long is incredible, three RB's have more career yards than him, and if he stays healthy he'll pass Sanders for third all time, not only is he a HOFer, he should get in on the first ballot

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Do you deny NFL's 4th all-time leading rusher a trip to Canton?

You don't think of him as a HOF player but he has to be in, IMO.

He is a no-brainer HOFer. Should be 1st ballot but doubt he will but he is a 100% LOCK for Canton

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Why don't you think he's a HOFer, he'll end up being the third on the all time rushing list
Because he’s a stat compiler more than a difference maker (and I like the guy). He finished 2nd for Pro Bowl one time, never 1st.i can’t think of his defining moment either.

kane

EOG master
Because he’s a stat compiler more than a difference maker (and I like the guy). He finished 2nd for Pro Bowl one time, never 1st.i can’t think of his defining moment either.

He's never been a flashy player, just a steady one, and if he's been a stat compiler, he's compiled a whole lot of great stats. Gore averages 4.4 yards per carry, Emmitt 4.2, Payton 4.4, Sanders 5.0, so other than Sanders his y/c are on par with the others, he's 21st on the all time list for rushing TD's, he's 25th all time in career TD's, he's 5th all time in yards from scrimmage, and 9th all time in all purpose yards. In the next few weeks he'll pass Sanders for third all time on the rushing list. If you're 3rd all time in rushing yards, you belong in the HOF

Heim

EOG Master
Unless you're a Bills fan doubt many know he's still in the league. You can't deny his inclusion in the Hall but I doubt he was a top 3 back in any season he played. Backs in the HOF have been top 3.

kane

EOG master
Unless you're a Bills fan doubt many know he's still in the league. You can't deny his inclusion in the Hall but I doubt he was a top 3 back in any season he played. Backs in the HOF have been top 3.

Or if you're a Hurricanes fan, you know he's still playing

kane

EOG master

In 2006, he finished 3rd in the league with 1,695 rushing yards, was 3rd in the league averaging 106 yards per game, and led the league with 5.4 yards per carry. I'd say those numbers were good enough to rank him top 3 that year

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
He's never been a flashy player, just a steady one, and if he's been a stat compiler, he's compiled a whole lot of great stats. Gore averages 4.4 yards per carry, Emmitt 4.2, Payton 4.4, Sanders 5.0, so other than Sanders his y/c are on par with the others, he's 21st on the all time list for rushing TD's, he's 25th all time in career TD's, he's 5th all time in yards from scrimmage, and 9th all time in all purpose yards. In the next few weeks he'll pass Sanders for third all time on the rushing list. If you're 3rd all time in rushing yards, you belong in the HOF

Hes a less accomplished Curtis Martin. Do you think Vinny Testeverde should make the HOF? When he retired, he was pretty high on career lists.

This is less about Gore and what should the HOF be about.

Crazy Pete

EOG Addicted

He certainly belongs in ‘The Hall Of Very Good’ (tip of the 🎩 to Bill James).

But Hall of FAME?!? 😳

He may make it (NFL inducts much larger % than MLB), but he shouldn’t.
Fair Warning is correct: stats compiler, no defining moment.

Looked up in Pro Football Reference:

Never 1st string All Pro.
Never led the league in any stat in any year.
Never won a Super Bowl.
Never even MADE it to a Super Bowl.

Kane makes a stronger case than I thought possible (4.4 is impressive), but c’mon, a minimum requirement to be in a HOF is you had to be the best, at LEAST once, but probably MANY times, in SOME categories.
Hall Of Very Good? Sure, a lock.
👎🏻 on HOF

kane

EOG master
He certainly belongs in ‘The Hall Of Very Good’ (tip of the 🎩 to Bill James).

But Hall of FAME?!? 😳

He may make it (NFL inducts much larger % than MLB), but he shouldn’t.
Fair Warning is correct: stats compiler, no defining moment.

Looked up in Pro Football Reference:

Never 1st string All Pro.
Never led the league in any stat in any year.
Never won a Super Bowl.
Never even MADE it to a Super Bowl.

Kane makes a stronger case than I thought possible (4.4 is impressive), but c’mon, a minimum requirement to be in a HOF is you had to be the best, at LEAST once, but probably MANY times, in SOME categories.
Hall Of Very Good? Sure, a lock.
👎🏻 on HOF

In 2006 he led the league in yards per carry with 5.4, and not only did he make it to a SB, he played great in that game, he rushed for 110 yards on 5.8 yards per carry and scored a TD against the Ravens in the 2012 SB

kane

EOG master
Gore's numbers are comparable with Emmit Smith's, the difference is Emmitt played on great teams, with a HOF QB and the best offensive line in the league, Gore was never a flashy player, that's why guys underrate him, but there's no question he belongs in the Hall

Crazy Pete

EOG Addicted
Kane is correct, I stand corrected.

Pro Football Reference doesn’t highlight leading league like they do in baseball.
And he did have a good Super Bowl.

Accordingly, I’ll upgrade him to Hall Of Very Very Good.

kane

EOG master
Kane is correct, I stand corrected.

Pro Football Reference doesn’t highlight leading league like they do in baseball.
And he did have a good Super Bowl.

Accordingly, I’ll upgrade him to Hall Of Very Very Good.

If you rate Gore as very very good, that's fine, the Hall is loaded with players who aren't great, but rather very very good. There are different levels of players in the Hall, some are the best of the best, others are very very good. Off the top of my head Joe Namath and Jerome Bettis are in, as are John Elway and Walter Payton, no one would ever say Namath is the equal of Elway and Bettis is the equal of Payton, but all four of them are in

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
If you rate Gore as very very good, that's fine, the Hall is loaded with players who aren't great, but rather very very good. There are different levels of players in the Hall, some are the best of the best, others are very very good. Off the top of my head Joe Namath and Jerome Bettis are in, as are John Elway and Walter Payton, no one would ever say Namath is the equal of Elway and Bettis is the equal of Payton, but all four of them are in
Namath should never have been inducted.

Especially in football, I like to compare players on the same era. It's really the only way to do it, as eras change very fast and career stats look very misleading.

MrTop

EOG Master
namath called the win vs the colts as a double digit dog.... nobody will top that. ruth's called HR to center #2

Heim

EOG Master
Namath a shoe in back then. First to 4,000 yards (season) & single handily responsible for the merger....huge talent, career cut short by knee problems & pussy.