Frank Robinson Dead at 83

Heim

EOG Master
Baseball Hall of Famer Frank Robinson, the first African-American manager in the majors when the Cleveland Indians named him player-manager in 1975, has died.

Still remember him blowing me off for a autograph when he was with the Halos.

Brayden11

EOG Dedicated
Frank was my first hero as a kid. Heim...he was known to be a cranky but always signed for me when he was an Oriole. He laughed and joked with me for several minutes when I handed him his rookie year card to sign in the early 70's. I still have the card but my oldest son taped it to his door with scotch tape.

bomzee

EOG Dedicated
What a trade -Frank Robinson for Milt Pappas...........
Frank Robinson was one helluva ball player he was talented and elite his whole career- In short he was a phenomenal player-
RIP

Last edited:

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Met him about about 30 years ago. I used to belong to some sports broadcaster group, when I was in the industry. Once a month they had a meeting at the Toluca Lake Golf Course (literally across the street from Warner Bros. in Burbank). I always brought a camera and a ball and pen just in case someone showed up worthy of being "gotten." Sometimes we knew in advance who was gonna be there. This time we were. We were told Frank Robinson would be there. the lunch meetings cost $20 and included a damn nice buffet. We all came nicely dressed, except our Prez Stu Nahan who came dressed like he just woke up.

So everyone gathers and we have the meeting. Frank spoke and was great to hear tell stories. I had a friend come with me. At the time Frank was managing the Orioles. The day before the meeting the friend sees Frank outside Anaheim Stadium and along with others asks him to sign a ball. Frank declined. But now the friend and I ask Frank if he could sign a ball for us and he did very nicely on the Sweet Spot. I still have the ball today. The meeting ends and Frank leaves. My friend goes to the park the next day and once again waits for Orioles to sign for him and others. Once again Frank declines. Only this time my friend takes out the ball Frank signed the day before and shows it to them. He said the place got very quiet and all were in awe and wanted to know how he got it. He never told but now we each have a very nicely signed ball and pic of Frank Robinson

papa 5

EOG Veteran
I was at the 1966 World Series when Frank and Brooks Robinson hit back to back HRS off of Drysdale in the first inning of game one. Final was 5 to 2 Orioles. Dodgers never scored another run in the four game sweep. I believe the scores of the last three games were 1-0 2-0 1-0. Dodgers couldn't hit a lick in those days, but had great pitching. Drysdale, Koufax, and Osteen.

bomzee

EOG Dedicated
How good was his 1966 season?

Deservedly mentioned in the same breath as Willie Mays and Hank Aaron.

Yes, he was that good.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Here's an idea for Major League Baseball: Celebrate the outstanding careers of both Jackie Robinson and Frank Robinson on the same day.

Honor Jackie, as the first African-American player, and Frank, as the first African-American manager.

Tell the story of both men.

After all, Jackie blazed the trail for Frank and countless others.

MrTop

EOG Master
Would anyone put frank robinson in the top 10 all time not including cheaters?

I got him in the top 20 . no cheaters.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
In 1982, Frank Robinson was inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame as a Baltimore Oriole.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Baseball Hall of Famer Frank Robinson, the first African-American manager in the majors when the Cleveland Indians named him player-manager in 1975, has died.

Still remember him blowing me off for a autograph when he was with the Halos.
Many of the blacks from the 50s-60's were tough autos. They grew up and played during segregation. They have experienced things we couldn't imagine.

Hell of a player, not so hot as a manager.

Foresthill

EOG Addicted
"Would be hard pressed to find a better foursome than Mays, Aaron, Clemente, and Robinson playing at the same time."

Not hard pressed at all. Stan Musial, and a left-handed bat. Could make it a five-some who all played at same time, or subtract Robinson or Clemente to make it a foursome.

Musial: .331 lifetime BA, 3630 hits, 1951 rbi's, 475 home runs, 24 time all-star.

Foresthill

EOG Addicted
Here's an idea for Major League Baseball: Celebrate the outstanding careers of both Jackie Robinson and Frank Robinson on the same day.

Honor Jackie, as the first African-American player, and Frank, as the first African-American manager.

Tell the story of both men.

After all, Jackie blazed the trail for Frank and countless others

Good Idea.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
"Would be hard pressed to find a better foursome than Mays, Aaron, Clemente, and Robinson playing at the same time."

Not hard pressed at all. Stan Musial, and a left-handed bat. Could make it a five-some who all played at same time, or subtract Robinson or Clemente to make it a foursome.

Musial: .331 lifetime BA, 3630 hits, 1951 rbi's, 475 home runs, 24 time all-star.
Absolutely.....have seen all five during my lifetime.....as a kid, the NL dominated the all star game....not so much now....

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Stan the Man was a legend in St. Louis.

Played in 24 MLB All-Star Games, a record he shares with Hank Aaron and Willie Mays.

Aaron, Mays and Musial on the same line of the MLB Record Book.

Now that's the killer threesome that should be highlighted.

Foresthill

EOG Addicted
Stan the Man was a legend in St. Louis.

Played in 24 MLB All-Star Games, a record he shares with Hank Aaron and Willie Mays.

Aaron, Mays and Musial on the same line of the MLB Record Book.

Now that's the killer threesome that should be highlighted.

Totally Agree.

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR
Had no pro team in the state as a kid, first LL team I played for was Orioles so they were my favorite.

Frank and his "brother" Robinson, the "human vacuum cleaner" at 3rd base were 2 of my favorites but loved Boog and the other position players as well......

And of course that pitching staff, last one to have four 20 game winners in a season, a record that might never be broken.