Goodlatte Bill will be good for horse racing

Dee Jenerate

EOG Member
Racing handle has declined in recent years and one of the main reasons is the proliferation of internet gambling: online horse books who hijack wagers and do not contribute to the mutuel pools, and offshore sports and poker which takes a bigger share of the gambling dollar away from racing. If the ban on illegal offshore internet gambling becomes law it will benefit racing because then instead of sending their money to offshore operations more gamblers will spend their money on legal parimutuel wagering. This can only be a positive for racing and racing fans to have this money being bet through legal sources which will ultimately benefit the industry. So I urge all horseplayers and those in the industry to write your congresspersons and urge them to pass the internet gambling bill.

Dee Jenerate said:
Racing handle has declined in recent years and one of the main reasons is the proliferation of internet gambling: online horse books who hijack wagers and do not contribute to the mutuel pools, and offshore sports and poker which takes a bigger share of the gambling dollar away from racing. If the ban on illegal offshore internet gambling becomes law it will benefit racing because then instead of sending their money to offshore operations more gamblers will spend their money on legal parimutuel wagering. This can only be a positive for racing and racing fans to have this money being bet through legal sources which will ultimately benefit the industry. So I urge all horseplayers and those in the industry to write your congresspersons and urge them to pass the internet gambling bill.

Amen brother. Plus it will help out locals. And it will get rid of some of these shitholes like majorwager and madjacks.

It might help horse racing, lotteries, and other kinds of easier to find gambling around. But if they really wanted to do this right, they should have sports betting at racetracks nationwide. Instead of nickel video slots to draw people in, they should organize the ability for that. Have Vegas hotels set the lines or whatever and have racetracks be able to book bets.

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated
Maybe

But it will not help the computer manufacturers. I was thinking of buying a new one in the spring to get up to date. Not a chnace in the world, I'll buy a new one if this passes to possibly punish the player in any way. Have to say adios to the off-shores. Ahhhh say it ain't so Joe.

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar
Keep the faith guys. Congress has a lot more important issues to iron out before gambling IMO. Hope & faith.

gofer5

EOG Addicted
With the war in Iraq, budget deficit,trade deficit,possible bird flu pandemic and the pension crisis to name a few, I would guess that an internet gambling bill would take a backseat to more important issues that affect all American's. At least I would hope so. I have faith!

bilbal

EOG Enthusiast
Dee Jenerate said:

If this bill passes, 2 things are sure to happen:
1. I still won't bet on horses
2. I will still bet on sports

I'm writing this post from Goodlatte's district right now and come Election Day, when I'll actually be living in his district, I'll be betting against him.

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry
Dee Jenerate said:

racing handles have not declined they have actually slightly increased. And big time increased for things liek the Derby and breeders Cup handle. mostly due to more players who were exposed to t he sport by internet gambling and are now hooked.

vote no on this and urge congress to vote no

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated
Kyl says he won't bother to introduce his bill because it would compete with Goodlatte's (in language and would require a different committee to hear it). This way the Goodlatte bill can be on the "fast track". (Was reading this on a competing forum a few days ago).

Goodlatte--what a name; wonder if his family was in the coffee business way back. LOL

I think both Kyl and Goodlatte might need to "buy a vowel".

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar
Just keep the faith guys and worry about today as tomorrow will bring a whole new slew of worries for us.

Semper Fi