Great story on the NBA's GOAT

Michael Jordan’s legendary competitiveness is captured perfectly in this story from Kevin Garnett and Isaiah Rider.

'" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" width="728" height="90" style="box-sizing: border-box; text-decoration: inherit; vertical-align: inherit; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-style: inherit; line-height: inherit; margin: 0px auto; padding: 0px; border: 0px; display: block; max-width: 100%; width: 728px; height: 90px;">
KG: JR is having a good game.

Rider: So I’m quiet, I always stayed quiet when I’m playing, I didn’t talk too much.

Rider: We come out in the fourth quarter and KG is like "Man, keeping going at his ass, serve him, he can’t guard you."

KG: "Keep killing him, keep killing him, straight up, you’re having a good game."

Rider: I was quiet, I’m looking at him like, just chill, because Mike was literally right there.

KG: He’s right here. Mike can hear me. So I double down.

Rider: (impersonating KG) "I don’t care. Keep going at him."

KG: As I say that, I feel it.

Rider: So Mike looks at me, looks at KG.

KG: Hands on hips, legs locked. And then he stares at me for about 15 seconds

Rider: I was like, "Mike, he don’t know the rules of the game, he’s just a young pup."

KG: I see him and Mike have a conversation. "He don’t really know, he’s excited."

Rider: Mike looked at him like OK. Looked at me like OK. I said, "What you lookin’ at me like that for?"

KG: I can’t even describe the next six, seven minutes of play, yo.

Rider: We went to the fourth quarter, that man got about 17 quick.

KG: We’re down 25 now, it was just at two.

Rider: He’s mad, looking at KG, looking at me, looking KG.

KG: It got bad quick.

KG: I’m like, "JR, my bad, dog. Sorry, man. I’m sorry." He said, "It’s good man, I told you shut your ass up"

KG: Mike came over like "Damn, young fella, damn, y’all done?" Never talked shit to Mike ever again in life.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
You need to correct the story if you are talking about the NBA GOAT

You are right about it being MJ. Just not the one you talked about. The NBA GOAT with the initials MJ is: Magic Johnson

2nd on the list: Wilt Chamberlain

3rd on the list: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

If you want to bring up the MJ you talked about he is no better than 4th on the NBA All-time list

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Magic Johnson better than Michael Jordan?

Go back to watching soccer and hockey.

Haha.

All around player..............not even close

If the Bulls MJ went scoreless his team had no chance of winning

If Lakers MJ went scoreless his team could still win

I stand by what I said and since we are both around the same age and both grew up watching the NBA at the same time I 100% stand behind what I said. Michael Jordan is no better than the FOURTH greatest NBA player of all time.

And for the record my last Chemo session ended July 23 - about 7 months ago - so I am not posting under the influence of a "Chemo Brain"

TobyTyler

EOG Dedicated
I enjoy the Matt Barnes/Stephen Jackson podcast this came from - All the Smoke.

Im not a KG fan but it was a good interview

Lebron best one way player of all time
Domoneeke #2
He doesn't show up every game and this includes the finals. It's one thing to have a bad game shooting, but it's a whole different thing when you just don't hustle or don't want to be part of the game.

boston massacre

EOG Master
You need to correct the story if you are talking about the NBA GOAT

You are right about it being MJ. Just not the one you talked about. The NBA GOAT with the initials MJ is: Magic Johnson

2nd on the list: Wilt Chamberlain

3rd on the list: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

If you want to bring up the MJ you talked about he is no better than 4th on the NBA All-time list

Have to Teach this Guy Everything.

The Guy who kicked the Lakers Ass every time He Played them in the Finals is the GOAT.

Bill Russell. THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME

NO ONE WILL EVER MATCH THAT CARREER PAL.

NO ONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As player:

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR
Lot of good opinions in this thread.....

The one thing most can/should agree on though is that Brick is not even close to being the GOAT.

During the All-Star game I looked and he was like the 7th best player on the court.

Can you imagine MJ being the 7th best player anywhere? Or Big O? Or Wilt. Or Bird. And so on.....

Brick will go down as the greatest player the game has ever seen at turning the ball over. Very rare talent for a guy his size.

A record t/o pace that will indeed be historic. That and the magic fairy dust thing he does for the more casual fans of the sport.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I like LeBron's combination of force and finesse.

I also appreciate his durability.

Hard to believe he's 35.

He still dishes out more punishment than he receives.

Scandal-free, too.

I assume LeBron is shooting for Kareem's all-time scoring record while seeking another championship ring or two.

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR

Hard to believe he's 35.

Scandal-free, too.

I assume LeBron is shooting for Kareem's all-time scoring record while seeking another championship ring or two.

Chinese delegation for you on line two JK!

LOL, no, I agree with all this for the most part. He's been a great player on the court and a decent citizen off the court.

It's just when we speak of him in a "greatest of all time" manner where we have to draw the line.

Very solid but a career of choking in the Finals and an upcoming record for turnovers that may live forever is what many of us will remember most.

Yes, definitely biased here, I can't stand the MF'er.

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!
All around player..............not even close

If the Bulls MJ went scoreless his team had no chance of winning

If Lakers MJ went scoreless his team could still win

I stand by what I said and since we are both around the same age and both grew up watching the NBA at the same time I 100% stand behind what I said. Michael Jordan is no better than the FOURTH greatest NBA player of all time.

And for the record my last Chemo session ended July 23 - about 7 months ago - so I am not posting under the influence of a "Chemo Brain"
Holy Jesus. Just when I thought it can't get any worse from this one. Wonder if this cat lives in Cali? Hmmmm. Would be like me saying Drew Brees, Archie Manning and Rickey Jackson were 1 2 and 3 all time best in the NFL.

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!
Have to Teach this Guy Everything.

The Guy who kicked the Lakers Ass every time He Played them in the Finals is the GOAT.

Bill Russell. THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME

NO ONE WILL EVER MATCH THAT CARREER PAL.

NO ONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As player:
Hmmm, wonder where Boston Massacre is from? lol

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
A friend of mine swears by Bill Russell.

No surprise, he's from Rhode Island.

Best team player, maybe.

Best of all-time, stop it.

Too many college hoop games on the board to be wasting time on questions with no real answer.

I hate circular arguments and love the win-or-lose nature of sports betting.

Unfortunately, too much losing lately.

Why haven't I been following SLEEPY and/or TOBYTYLER over the past month?

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!
bill russell played against skinny white guys that dribbled with 1 hand
He's a tough 1 to judge because the eras are so different. I get the love for him given his track record but hard to imagine he's the best of all time lol. Best in his era perhaps. Wonder if winky has West #4 and Worthy #5. Maybe Walton 6 and Rambis 7?

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Holy Jesus. Just when I thought it can't get any worse from this one. Wonder if this cat lives in Cali? Hmmmm. Would be like me saying Drew Brees, Archie Manning and Rickey Jackson were 1 2 and 3 all time best in the NFL.

I'd probably put Bobby Hebert #1

I was born and spent most of my life in CA. I stand by what I said.

As for this: "Wonder if winky has West #4 and Worthy #5. Maybe Walton 6 and Rambis 7?"

Nah - I'd put Rambis 10 or so.

Seriously, though.................I think West belongs among the T50. Where people want to put him is their choice. Walton coulda been T10 if not for bad knees

boston massacre

EOG Master
in his era I agree from what people say Russell was the best.

When Bill Russell Played, there was No Free Agency.

He Couldn't do a LeBron James.

Come Hook up with me when I'm a Free Agent, Clear some Cap Space, We can become a Big Three.

I'll go play with D Wade in Miami. Bring Chris Bosh.

I'm going to Lakers. A.D. Coming.

None of that Shit.

With Russell, it was Play for the Celtics, or GO Home !

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Sorry....even though Russell won more titles, Wilt scores more points, had more rebounds, and had more assists than Russell....Wilt was a beast.....

Jordon
Wilt
Kareem
Russell
LeBron

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
Sorry....even though Russell won more titles, Wilt scores more points, had more rebounds, and had more assists than Russell....Wilt was a beast.....

Jordon
Wilt
Kareem
Russell
LeBron
Wilt had those bigs numbers while being very active off the court as well.

Wonder how many nba guys have his dna.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

Hard to believe he's 35.

Scandal-free, too.

Scandal-free in this age is as impressive as anything. Jordan's off the court actions would be all over TMZ today, especially about his father.

boston massacre

EOG Master

Jordon
Wilt
Kareem
Russell
LeBron

15 Seasons

2 Championships.

Would Take Russell Any Day

13 Seasons

11 Championships.

That's Why They Play the Games

boston massacre

EOG Master
If you are talking the team concept then you have a point....when talking individual accomplishments and all around athlete then Wilt is the man.....Wilt would destroy Russell one on one....

Championships

That's why they play the Games.

You want a Championship ?

You Play on Russell's Team.

Greatness and Championships.

They go Together.

Boxing is a 1 against 1 Sport.