Great tweet by Alan Boston

Woodrow Wilson

EOG Dedicated
Reading his twitter after dinner.

Not to sound like a snob, well, yah, I shall. How the fuck do you go from Yale to Alabama? Talk about culture shock.

I bet U Conn minus 5 at the half, medium. It seems like they have no chance the way first half played out, but I would hope Hurley tweeks a few things on both sides of the ball and their superior athleticism takes over. Or, 5 just seems too low for a 4 pt fave down 11 at half

ComptrBob

EOG Master
alan boston
@bostonred88

·
1h

Hope the committee is proud of themselves. They stuck Loyola with an 8 (net ranking TEN) seed as the 1 seeds this year are elite. Porter Moser and company, said Fuck you. Sister Jean uttered different words.

Boston is a moron for referencing NET rankings.

Colgate was a 14 seed and had a better NET ranking than Loyola (NINE vs TEN). Colgate had no Quad 1 games, went 2-0 in Q2. Loyola only 2-2 Q1, and 4-2 Q2.

Just shows how stupid NET rankings are.

Last edited:

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
he should have refrenced kenpom. but loyola should have been atleast a 4 or 5 seed
Easily. They looked great today. Don't know what the Illini problem was today but they just looked flat. It's one thing to miss shots, but you have to show energy on defense.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
he should have refrenced kenpom. but loyola should have been atleast a 4 or 5 seed

kenpom (now ranks Loyola #7 ?) is as fucked up as the NET. Use the Sagarin Predictor, Loyola was a dead-on 8 or 9 seed (ranked #37th after GT win), got a great draw against GT, a garbage ACC team, and Illinois, a great matchup.

Last edited:

railbird

EOG Master
kenpom (now ranks Loyola #7 ?) is as fucked up as the NET. Use the Sagarin Predictor, Loyola was a dead-on 8 or 9 seed (ranked #37th after GT win), got a great draw against GT, a garbage ACC team, and Illinois, a great matchup.
loyola was kenpom 9 before the illinois win

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
KenPom sees the season as one long game.

Sagarin goes game-by-game.

And that's one of the reasons Pomeroy and Sagarin differ on Loyola's ranking.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
With Pomeroy's algorithm, a team like Loyola gets credit for pummeling those MVC teams with tremendous efficiency.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
With Pomeroy's algorithm, a team like Loyola gets credit for pummeling those MVC teams with tremendous efficiency.

Yeah, of course, Sagarin Predictor also takes into account the margin of victory (pummeling). The major difference seems to be weighting the value of a MVC blowout win versus a "Power 5 conference" type win, since Kenpom has much the same Strength of schedule ranking for Loyola (112th) as Sagarin (126th before the Illinois win).

railbird

EOG Master
Yeah, of course, Sagarin Predictor also takes into account the margin of victory (pummeling). The major difference seems to be weighting the value of a MVC blowout win versus a "Power 5 conference" type win, since Kenpom has much the same Strength of schedule ranking for Loyola (112th) as Sagarin (126th before the Illinois win).
looks like Saragrin overvalues high majors, that is fine in football, but not basketball.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
looks like Saragrin overvalues high majors, that is fine in football, but not basketball.

I've found Sagarin ratings to be extremely predictive of the NCAA tournament betting lines for sides (barring injuries) and they are generally superior overall to Kenpom. Now perhaps someone can take Kenpom raw data and come up with a better predictive model.

Both models are pretty gruesome in the early season which gives the capper an advantage. I remember several years ago (2018), Kenpom had Wisconsin in early season as #8 (finished #21 in 2017), and Nevada as around #70 (#54 in 2017). Modelling them myself, using all sorts of admittedly incomplete data, I didn't even have Wisconsin as Top 50, OTOH Nevada was Top 25. Sure enough, after 15 games, Wisconsin was around #60 Kenpom, they ended #70. Nevada ended as #25.

MrTop

EOG Master
One thing I do agree with Boston, Fauci is a hack. Remember he initially said masks are not needed.
This is supposedly the leading contagious disease guy in the nation. And some other stuff that
come out of his mouth is high school biology.

Now he's a tool for CNN telling the world how Trump fucked up.

he took a position... then bought it back :p

Woodrow Wilson

EOG Dedicated
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I haven't listened yet but it looks like AB is from about 7:30 until 40:00.

Woodrow Wilson

EOG Dedicated
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yesterday's show. AB begins at 1:11

He'll also be there tomorrow.

Woodrow Wilson

EOG Dedicated

AB looks really rough during this one...AB begins just before 41 minutes.

He'd never be able to keep pace with Rail on the tennis court nowadays.

railbird

EOG Master

AB looks really rough during this one...AB begins just before 41 minutes.

He'd never be able to keep pace with Rail on the tennis court nowadays.
i think he is 66, his favorite play of rnd 1 lost by 30 pts tonight