Gretzky, Coyotes Off To Slow Start

<TABLE class=headlinetext cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=504 bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=504><!-- DON'T MODIFY ABOVE THIS LINE-->

<!--- REMOVE THIS BLOCK IF NO UPPER LEFT IMAGE ---><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=170 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=shoptext align=left>The Gretzky-led Coyotes are off to a 1-3 start. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!---END REMOVE--->Gretzky, Coyotes deal
with slow start
<!-- Author -->
By Doug Ward | Special to NHL.com
October 12, 2005 <HR><!-- article text begins here -->Shane Doan deflected a Sean O'Donnell slap shot into the net late in the third period last Saturday night in the desert, and a nerve-racking 4:42 later, Wayne Gretzky had his first win as a coach, 2-1, over Minnesota.

It came 26 years after Gretzky scored his first NHL goal (which broke the ice for the 893 additional goals that followed) and came in a Sun Belt city that didn't even have a team back in 1979, so who knows where this coaching thing all leads?

"I got my first win tonight," Gretzky said after the landmark victory. "It's nice, but I think Scotty Bowman's record (1,244 career coaching wins) is pretty safe."

It's worth noting that even in jest, Gretzky's point of reference is the record book, and regardless of whether the rookie coach stays in the profession long enough to approach Bob Francis' club record of 165 wins, let alone Bowman's NHL standard, it's clear he's shooting for the moon.

<!-- BOX STARTS HERE --><!-- end blue box code-->The Coyotes opened the season 1-3-0 in what appears to be a rebuilding year, so any rising in Phoenix figures to take time, but the organization has some building blocks from which to start the process.

The assets start with Gretzky, of course, and include Shane Doan and Mike Comrie, who both came of age in Alberta while their coach was winning Stanley Cups there.

The new coach has already learned how to roll with the punches. He's lost his top two goalies -- Brian Boucher and Curtis Joseph -- to groin injuries, thrusting rookie David LeNeveu into the top spot in goal. Center Petr Nedved also is on the injured list.

In addition to their new high-profile coach, there are other selling points for the Coyotes. New, old school uniforms were introduced in 2003-2004, and a glistening new arena in suburban Glendale provides the Coyotes a great package in which to wrap their product.

But Gretzky's in a new arena, too.

In his second game behind the Coyotes' bench, Gretzky inadvertently signed a lineup sheet that did not include right wing Fredrik Sjostrom, who was in uniform and played before the gaffe was noticed.

But Gretzky, a part-owner of the team, showed he is prepared to be accountable for anything that happens along the way.

"It's my responsibility," Gretzky said. "It happened, and it won't happen again."

Two nights later, Gretzky presided over his first win, but the two points the Coyotes picked up were not a panacea for the noted perfectionist.

"It wasn't pretty," Gretzky said of his first win, "but it counts."

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>