Hanley and Sizemore or any 2 pitchers in baseball

mofome

Banned
If you could take one group of 2, which would it be? Peolpe tell me that pitching wins, and that very well may be true, but im taking these bats.

91023i2ndw;l

royboy

EOG Dedicated
Re: Hanley and Sizemore or any 2 pitchers in baseball

hanley and grady... out there fighting for you every day and less likely to break down.

Considering there are not 2 starting pitchers that I would consider "head and shoulders" above the rest, looks like 2 good choices, especially Hanley.

Gimme him and Chase Utley up the middle to begin my franchise with12io4j2w90

royalfan

EOG Dedicated

If trying to make the playoffs you can make a great case for the bats, if you are trying to win in the playoffs and take a chance you might not make them, then the pitchers.

5 star bomb

EOG Master

Lincecum and Volquez.... Not even debatable imo, you have to take the 2 sps

mofome

Banned

If trying to make the playoffs you can make a great case for the bats, if you are trying to win in the playoffs and take a chance you might not make them, then the pitchers.

Who would your pitchers be. If we're talking playoffs, Beckett has to be one?

If I'm starting a franchise, I'm taking Evan Longoria and Josh Hamilton.

5 star bomb

EOG Master

Mofo you would really take Sizemore over say Braun, Hamilton, Holliday, etc.....?

royalfan

EOG Dedicated

Who would your pitchers be. If we're talking playoffs, Beckett has to be one?

Fuck, that is a tough one. I have no strong opinion at this point. So many pitchers about even.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Pitching wins out , always has and always will.

Just like football you need to be able to run the bal to win (ALMOST EVERYTIME)

Then why didn't the Braves win more than one World Series when they boasted 3 Cy Young winners in their starting staff?

Just like in football, you need balance. Good pitching will keep you in a lot of games, but at some point you better be able to mash the ball.

Mr. NBA

EOG Dedicated

yeah, size is much better defensively than any of those guys. Size has it all imo

agreed and dont forget the all important marketability angle too.....Grady puts butts in seats.....Grady's Ladies...my wife is one of em.:+textinb3

Mr. NBA

EOG Dedicated

Then why didn't the Braves win more than one World Series when they boasted 3 Cy Young winners in their starting staff?

Just like in football, you need balance. Good pitching will keep you in a lot of games, but at some point you better be able to mash the ball.

Great Braves point.

Pitching wins out, you are right, BUT hitting transfers much more easily from year to year. Here is the top 50 fantasy players going into this year -

1. Alex Rodriguez, 3B, Yankees. He's the best player in real life and in fantasy.
2. Matt Holliday, OF, Rockies. Great park, great hitter, very good lineup.
3. Jake Peavy, SP, Padres. Jake's got a shot to repeat pitching triple crown.
4. Albert Pujols, 1B, Cardinals. The elbow is a concern. Keep an eye on his game during spring training.
5. Hanley Ramirez, SS, Marlins. Take him over Reyes and Rollins.
6. David Wright, 3B, Mets. Average +Power + Speed = Fantasy Stallion.
7. Miguel Cabrera, 3B, Tigers. Allegedly on a diet.
8. Jose Reyes, SS, Mets. Don't let late season slide scare you off this speedster.
9. Chase Utley, 2B, Phillies. A complete player at the thinnest position in fantasy baseball.
10. Ryan Howard, 1B, Phillies. A healthy Big Man could hit 55 and drive in 150.
11. Vladimir Guerrero, OF, Angels. Go look up his career stats if you disagree.
12. Johan Santana, SP, Mets. He and Peavey will both be great; take your pick.
13. Prince Fielder, 1B, Brewers. Big slugger won't be quite as good as Howard in '08.
14. Alfonso Soriano, OF, Cubs. Expect close to 40 HR, 120 runs, and 35 steals.
15. David Ortiz, 1B, Red Sox. Only the slow-witted bet against Big Papi.
16. Jimmy Rollins, SS, Phillies. This little guy does it all, but a repeat of 2007 is a tall order.
17. Ryan Braun, 3B, Brewers. Potential sophomore slump is the only reason he's not top in 10.
18. Magglio Ordonez, OF, Tigers. He was a monster last year. His stats are due to decline, but he will still be very good.
19. Ichiro, OF Mariners. He's always a threat to hit .350, steal 50 and score 125. That's a fantasy asset.
20. Carlos Beltran, OF, Mets. If all five tools work this year, he's a steal at this level.
21. Grady Sizemore, OF, Indians. He's a unique power/speed combination.
22. Carl Crawford, OF, Devil Rays. If he can nudge the homers up to 20-25, he'll be deadly, both on the field and in the fantasy world.
23. Travis Hafner, 1B, Indians. Will bounce back from sub-par 2007.
24. Robinson Cano, 2B, Yankees. This is his breakout year. Deadly in second half.
25. Mark Teixiera, 1B, Braves. Looked really good in second half of 2007 season.
26. C.C. Sabathia, SP, Indians. Needs to hit the salad bar.
27. Josh Beckett, SP, Red Sox. Good in every pitching category. Won't slump after great '07.
28. Carlos Lee, OF, Astros. He should hit .300 with at least 30 HR, 100 RBI, 10 SB.
29. Justin Morneau, 1B, Twins. Don't forget about this 2006 MVP.
30. J.J. Putz, RP, Mariners. Who can argue with 6-1, 40 saves, and a 1.38 ERA?
31. Alex Rios, OF, Blue Jays. Nice producer in every offensise
32. Torii Hunter, OF, Angels.
34. Troy Tulowitzki, SS, Rockies. Coming off a great rookie year in hitter's park.
35. Brandon Phillips, 2B, Reds. A great fantasy player for a second baseman.
36. B.J. Upton, OF, Tampa Bay Rays. .300/30/30 are not out of the question.
37. Victor Martinez, C, Indians. Best hitting catcher in the game.
38. Aramis Ramirez, 3B, Cubs. He might fly under the radar on draft day. Don't let him.
39. Brandon Webb, SP, Diamondbacks. Solid and steady. Not quite a top four pitcher, though.
40. Jonathan Papelbon, RP, Red Sox. Great in every category, but Putz wil get more saves.
41. Derek Jeter, SS, Yankees. Will hit .325, score 115 runs and steal 25. Might pop 20 HR.
42. Nick Markakis, OF, Orioles. Ranked in Top 30 among fantasy players in '07.
43. Adam Dunn, OF, Reds. He always hits at least 40 HR; his low batting average hurts, though.
44. Erik Bedard, SP, Mariners. Would be higher except he's coming off an injury.
45. Manny Ramirez, OF, Red Sox. Can Manny still be Manny this year, or has the decline begun?
46. Derrek Lee, 1B, Cubs. Average is a given. 16 HR after All-Star break raises power hopes.
47. Russell Martin, C, Dodgers. Hitting in a better lineup this year.
48. Carlos Pena, 1B, Devil Rays. He hit 46 homers last year. That can't be ignored.
49. Brian Roberts, 2B, Baltimore Orioles. Take him higher if he's traded to Cubs by Opening Day.
50. Garrett Atkins, 3B, Rockies. Top notch hitter in last 4 months of '07 season.
PLAYER FANTASY RANKINGS 51-100

Notice there are only 8 pitchers here. Two are Bedard and Putz, both major disappointments. Santana hasn't lived up to expectations either. Pitchers only affect your team every fifth day. Some of the position players in this list have underachieved, but should return to the norm by the end of the season. If I'm starting a team today (real or fantasy), I will always take the position player.

5 star bomb

EOG Master

Jager fantasy sports are all about stats.... of course you are going to take the offensive player over a pitcher who goes every 5 days. In reality though, in real baseball you take the 2 ace pitchers over the 2 stud offensive players

Hitdogg42

EOG Dedicated

Lincecum and Volquez.... Not even debatable imo, you have to take the 2 sps

Hey MO, once again your GRASS HOPPER has shown his AVG to MEDIAN knowledge of baseball......

1. You only run TWO starting pitchers 2-3 starts per week.....Hanley and Grady play just about every inning every day......So that means you still have to run your relief core out just about every start to save the starters....

2. I PROMISE you that those 2 young starting arms will MISS an entire season withing the next 5-7 years due to elbow or shoulder surgery...

3. If those 2 arms are in the National league they will also make about 6-10 outs per week, cuz they cant hit a lick....

4. Hanley and Grady could hit 70 HR's and Steal over a 100 bases a year.....

5. Your build teams around a the middle of your diamond, not the middle of it......

6. JJ has a very small pecker......

7. You will sell more Grady and Hanley jerseys and make more money for your organization.....

8. I would like a quadrupule team from blondie, sweded, sportsgirl and yummy

Hitdogg OUT

5 star bomb

EOG Master

3. If those 2 arms are in the National league they will also make about 6-10 outs per week, cuz they cant hit a lick....

Who gives a fuck if they cant hit!! OMG you have to be kidding me

Jager fantasy sports are all about stats.... of course you are going to take the offensive player over a pitcher who goes every 5 days. In reality though, in real baseball you take the 2 ace pitchers over the 2 stud offensive players

Ok, Wood or Mauer? Twins chose Mauer and were ripped for it. Well, Wood has been very injury-prone in a star-crossed career, while Mauer has shown no signs of slowing down. Pitchers break down much easier.

5 star bomb

EOG Master

Ok, Wood or Mauer? Twins chose Mauer and were ripped for it. Well, Wood has been very injury-prone in a star-crossed career, while Mauer has shown no signs of slowing down. Pitchers break down much easier.

actually I believe it was Prior or Mauer... but anyway yes thats one example that worked out. But IF Prior stayed healthy and obviously its a big if then yes Prior would easily have been the better player

mofome

Banned

Hey MO, once again your GRASS HOPPER has shown his AVG to MEDIAN knowledge of baseball......

1. You only run TWO starting pitchers 2-3 starts per week.....Hanley and Grady play just about every inning every day......So that means you still have to run your relief core out just about every start to save the starters....

2. I PROMISE you that those 2 young starting arms will MISS an entire season withing the next 5-7 years due to elbow or shoulder surgery...

4. Hanley and Grady could hit 70 HR's and Steal over a 100 bases a year.....

5. Your build teams around a the middle of your diamond, not the middle of it......

6. JJ has a very small pecker......

7. You will sell more Grady and Hanley jerseys and make more money for your organization.....

8. I would like a quadrupule team from blondie, sweded, sportsgirl and yummy

Hitdogg OUT

My grasshopper? This guy argues with me more than anyone.

:pop:

Jerry Reinsdorf has been ripped constantly in the Chicago media for not giving pitchers big money. Why should he when he can get Jenks, Floyd, Thornton, and Danks basically for nothing.

Journeyman

EOG Master

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, stop with the examples, there's always a counter example...the Braves won one WS, yeah I know that, does that mean that pitching is less important than hitting? Of course not ... the Oakland A's won 3 straight, mainly because of outstanding pitching, Yankees recent success was more so because of pitching (actually great relief pitching played a big part in that)

The Orioles won 3 WS titles and had the best record in baseball for close to 30 years with a philosophy of pitching and defense, I PREFER to start my team with pitching, that is all I'm saying.

Whenever you look at a weak team winning the WS, Twins, Marlins, Reds, it's almost always because of superior pitching.

actually I believe it was Prior or Mauer... but anyway yes thats one example that worked out. But IF Prior stayed healthy and obviously its a big if then yes Prior would easily have been the better player

You are right, but the risk is always with the pitcher over the position player.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, stop with the examples, there's always a counter example...the Braves won one WS, yeah I know that, does that mean that pitching is less important than hitting? Of course not ... the Oakland A's won 3 straight, mainly because of outstanding pitching, Yankees recent success was more so because of pitching (actually great relief pitching played a big part in that)

The Orioles won 3 WS titles and had the best record in baseball for close to 30 years with a philosophy of pitching and defense, I PREFER to start my team with pitching, that is all I'm saying.

Whenever you look at a weak team winning the WS, Twins, Marlins, Reds, it's almost always because of superior pitching.

O's won because of starting pitching, defense and three-run homers.

5 star bomb

EOG Master

I meant his baseball knowledge is like comparing a Master to a grass hopper.....

you couldnt be further from the truth pal... My baseball knowledge is great!! For example I dont give a fuck if a stud pitcher can hit or not, but apparently you think thats important....

:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO

Hitdogg42

EOG Dedicated

If thats the only hole that you have found, thanks.....Just pointing out they are dead outs, and they even look better NOW in the NL because they dont have to face the PAPi's of the AL....

Hitdogg42

EOG Dedicated

you couldnt be further from the truth pal... My baseball knowledge is great!! For example I dont give a fuck if a stud pitcher can hit or not, but apparently you think thats important....

:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO

Not saying that you dont have GREAT baseball smarts, some guys are 5th degree blacks belts and still get their azz stomped......

5 star bomb

EOG Master

Not saying that you dont have GREAT baseball smarts, some guys are 5th degree blacks belts and still get their azz stomped......

hey we disagree... who cares. That is the beauty of sports, you are never wrong. I would take the 2 sp's. You would take the 2 hitters.... It is all a matter of opinion

12io4j2w90