Heading to Estadio Nacional today

blueline

EOG Master
Love Latin women.

What's not to like?

It's refreshing to be in a country where men are allowed to be men and women are allowed to be women.

I was looking for the English translation of "machismo" the other day.

Would you believe Google Translate offered the word "sexism" as the English equivalent?

Unbelievable.

"Machismo," to me, is possessing strong, traditional male traits.

There's nothing negative about "machismo" in my world and most women love strong, powerful men.

"Marianismo" is a term that describes women who are traditional child-bearing, mother-nurturing ladies.

In Costa Rica, an attractive woman walks down the street near a construction site and the men take a break to admire, applaud and sometimes whistle.

The tica's reaction is usually a smile and an appreciative wave of the hand.

In the United States these days, if the same scene occurred, the construction workers could face suspension, termination or arrest depending on the woman's response to the attention.

The Alpha male in the United States is slowly but surely being emasculated by powerful forces in the media and inside political arenas.

Tsk tsk.

I 100% disagree with this

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I 100% disagree with this

Hahaha.

Here's hoping BLUE and I are still friends.

After all, we both grew up on Chicago harness racing.

That should be worth something.

Think Dave Magee and Walter Paisley and throw in some Bea Farber for female representation.

blueline

EOG Master
I may be saying adios to TB racing and hello harness as part of my transition....the non-LGBTQ kind.......the switch from Rodney mills to Gary mills was huge even though they were both 4% drivers...those were the days....sigh....

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I was wondering about your transition.

Glad to hear no surgery was involved.

Smaller pools on the harness circuits and I would venture a guess more chicanery with predetermined outcomes.

I wasn't aware of the Mills info.

Good one.

Last edited:

blueline

EOG Master
I stopped using the software ive been using since its manual input days back in 1996.
I vacillated for months on that decision.
I may find myself immersed in the Ontario harness circuit.....they write a lot of the types of races I like to bet....would love to bet Hoosier but cant...tiny pools

Heim

EOG Master
I see all these nerdy wealthy American couples on travel networks, property shows loving CR, ultimately buying and living their permanently with young kids.

I wonder if they realize what they're getting into.

I loved visiting Vegas, especially south strip, Enterprise, Southern Highlands, Mountains Edge.

Did I like living there? Not so much.

Moral of the story. Short term doesn't equate to long term.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
My biggest claim-to fame in playground basketball: I once defeated a current member of the world champion Golden State Warriors in a game of one-on-one basketball on an outdoor court in Las Vegas.

It was a knock-down, drag-out war, but I prevailed over Gary Payton II.

I was 42.

He had just turned 12.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I see all these nerdy wealthy American couples on travel networks, property shows loving CR, ultimately buying and living their permanently with young kids.

I wonder if they realize what they're getting into.

I loved visiting Vegas, especially south strip, Enterprise, Southern Highlands, Mountains Edge.

Did I like living there? Not so much.

Moral of the story. Short term doesn't equate to long term.

Met an ex-pat the other day here in Costa Rica.

His name was Chance.

Former limo driver in Los Angeles (the right city for that profession) who invested in several properties in Costa Rica.

He has an advantage over most other Americans in the real estate market because he's married to a young Costa Rican female.

He's 59 (looks closer to 40) with a beautiful wife not a day over 29.

Chance turned back the clock 30 years and I sensed he's enjoying every day of his Costa Rican life.

Wade

EOG Master
Chance should be careful or he’ll end up like Arturo Gatti or 5dimes Tony. Women down there are always plotting.

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!
Chance should be careful or he’ll end up like Arturo Gatti or 5dimes Tony. Women down there are always plotting.
There are always exceptions but pound for pound the Tica women are 100X a better class of person than the women from the US.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I will be heading to the important soccer game tonight in Alajuela.

I will file a report this weekend on the action.

Saprissa v Alajuenese.

Second leg of a two-legged match in the semifinal round of the biggest national league here.

Should be fun.

Alajuenese is a slight favorite (-130 with a $500-$1,000 limits) to advance to the finals.

No bet on the game for me.

Like the old sports betting punchline, "What do I know about soccer?"

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

Saprissa v Alajuenese.

Second leg of a two-legged match in the semifinal round of the biggest national league here.

Should be fun.

Alajuenese is a slight favorite (-130 with a $500-$1,000 limits) to advance to the finals.

That will be an electric atmosphere. Do you have a root?

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

Saprissa v Alajuenese.

Should be fun.

If you can lay -130 on La Liga to advance you should make a reasonable wager on that. They have to be closer to 60% if not higher to advance.

ComptrBob

EOG Master

Saprissa v Alajuenese.

Should be fun.

Have a good time.

Soccer games usually have 4 guys on each side running and everyone else standing around.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
That will be an electric atmosphere. Do you have a root?

No.

But I'm near the stadium now and the atmosphere is electric, as you said.

Plenty of Saprissa fans here.

Not a soccer guy but I appreciate the spectacle.

I saw a total of 3.

Do wet conditions help the over or under in soccer?

I assume it depends on individual playing surfaces.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Have a good time.

Soccer games usually have 4 guys on each side running and everyone else standing around.

I think it was RAY LUCA who offered the best suggestion for adding excitement to the game of soccer.

Throw in a second ball. ⚽️ ⚽️

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
As I understand it, a new stadium is coming to Alajuela in 2025.

This place is old.

Opened in 1942.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Television never captures the energy or excitement of a live sporting event.

The stands are filling up with plenty of Alajuela supporters.

I've only seen soccer fanatics thus far.

Here's hoping the soccer hooligans stayed home tonight.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I appreciated the pregame warm-ups.

These soccer players have a great bounce in their step.

Michael Buffer's people may want to contact soccer officials in Alajuela.

I heard a "Let's Get Ready to Rumble" call in a heavy Spanish accent and I doubt Buffer is receiving any dinero for his trademark line.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The stadium is missing a scoreboard of any kind.

No video except for about a dozen television sets in selected spots.

Stadium holds 17,895.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Can't help but notice the Burger King logo on the back of the referee's green jersey.

For his health and safety, here's hoping he doesn't make a whopper of a mistake that goes against the home team.