Hey Joe Girardi, there's this new play called a sacrifice bunt!

Mr. Smith

EOG Master
Re: Hey Joe Girardi, there's this new play called a sacrifice bunt!

I've had bets on college teams where the o/u if it existed might be 15 where in the top of the 1st with 2 men on the 3 hole hitter sac bunts. seen that 3 times. way to toss a struggling pitcher an out.

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

wow chessman is a fucking idiot

So you're saying that there are only 3 or 4 times PER SEASON in which a sac bunt is called for? Because if you can read...that's what I'm taking this effeminate kid to task for, you stupid cocksucker. Now don't be a gutless piece of shit like royal fan who punked out and wouldn't answer the question. Answer the question, shithead.

Timetopay

EOG Master

Last year during the American League Championship series there were many people who said that Rays manager Joe Maddon was lucky to win, because he went against conventional wisdom in several potential bunting situations only to come out on top. After speaking with Maddon and hearing his reasoning, I wrote here that he played those situations the way he had all season, and his players responded exactly the way he had expected. There was little ? if any ? luck involved.

Maddon?s team had attempted fewer than 50 sacrifice bunts the entire season, so when those situations presented themselves, the players going to the plate to hit had a pretty good idea that he was going to have them swing away instead of asking them to do something that may have been foreign to them. Those players were able to relax and simply do the job that they had done all season long, and the results were predictable. There was no reason to over-manage and create unfamiliar situations for a team that had been among the league?s elite for 162-plus games.

People outside of baseball clubhouses like to talk about how teams that are not successful lack chemistry. It?s a way to make excuses for a team that has not performed up to expectations on the field, but generally these critics point to personality conflicts, jealousy, selfishness and other clubhouse issues when they refer to chemistry. In reality, baseball is an individual team sport. If all nine guys in the lineup understand and accept their roles and perform them to the best of their ability day in and day out, that team has good chemistry and a chance to be very successful.

Think I will go with my man Joe Maddon over Chess on sharing baseball thoughts :LMAO

meldrone

EOG Enthusiast

Sacrificing EARLY in a designated hitter game was proven way wrong by the Sabermetricians years ago. "If you play for one run, that's what you get."

This thread suggests that a few posters 'follow' baseball by filling out a daily parlay card.

I've had bets on college teams where the o/u if it existed might be 15 where in the top of the 1st with 2 men on the 3 hole hitter sac bunts. seen that 3 times. way to toss a struggling pitcher an out.

I watch a fair bit of Big East baseball in person and I see teams sac bunt all the time in those situations. It feels like watching Japanese baseball. At one game, I was standing within earshot of a coach after a leadoff single and whatever he said to the other player/coach he was talking to made it sound as if he considered the bunt was automatic, i.e. "when we bunt here" not "if we bunt here."

IrishTim

EOG Dedicated

Hey asshole, you agree with him saying 3-4 times is a SEASON?

No I don't agree, a manager trying to maximize his chances of winning should probably do it 3-4 times in his career. Sac bunts are negatively correlated to runs scored.

royalfan

EOG Dedicated

Ha, Chess still thinking the sac bunt is a good play. Classic.

I'd only order the bunt if managing under rare conditions. Maybe the hitter isn't a good hitter ( pitcher?), but bunts well, the guy is fast....might get a hit out of it, etc. In general I don't want to give away an out.

3-4 times a season seems a bit low since the AL pitchers have to hit in 6-9 games a year and bunting is correct in a handful of 9th inning situations where you need exactly one run, or possibly two runs (down 2 with 0 out in the b9, I could see a sac bunt being correct with runners on 1st and 2nd under the right conditions), but I guess since it requires a close game and the leadoff hitter(s) reaching, those situations don't come up too many times a year.

Either way a perfunctory analysis or simply reading the chapter in "the Book" will demonstrate why bunting is wrong in most circumstances that don't involve the 9th inning or the pitcher batting. Kind of funny that so many EOGers know that, while so many managers don't.

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

3-4 times a season seems a bit low since the AL pitchers have to hit in 6-9 games a year and bunting is correct in a handful of 9th inning situations where you need exactly one run, or possibly two runs (down 2 with 0 out in the b9, I could see a sac bunt being correct with runners on 1st and 2nd under the right conditions), but I guess since it requires a close game and the leadoff hitter(s) reaching, those situations don't come up too many times a year.

Either way a perfunctory analysis or simply reading the chapter in "the Book" will demonstrate why bunting is wrong in most circumstances that don't involve the 9th inning or the pitcher batting. Kind of funny that so many EOGers know that, while so many managers don't.

3-4 is stupidly low. Anyone making such a claim has lost any credibility. The moron embarrassed himself here.

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

No I don't agree, a manager trying to maximize his chances of winning should probably do it 3-4 times in his career. Sac bunts are negatively correlated to runs scored.

Tim, I'm really surprised at you. You don't think there are situations in which a sac bunt with 1st and 2nd and no outs is the correct move? This is stunning but you're not an idiot like Timely so I'll give you a pass on this.

royalfan

EOG Dedicated

Not oversimplification shitferbrains. Using the exact example in the original post as my guide. That would have been stupid as hell to bunt there, and you said they should have. Bottom line. You are an idiot and a nutcase and that was not a bunt situation.

Oversimplification. What a shock. :hung

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

It's truly scary that it escapes people that scoring a run with an out by having a man on third with less than two outs is sometimes a good deal. Why waste one of your 27 outs to score a run? ::LMAO::

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Tim, I'm really surprised at you. You don't think there are situations in which a sac bunt with 1st and 2nd and no outs is the correct move? This is stunning but you're not an idiot like Timely so I'll give you a pass on this.

You thought Joe Girardi should have bunted with the Yankees. Unless, as was said, there are pitchers up in the AL you shouldn't bunt in the AL. I guess playing for 1 in the 9th would be an OK time as well. Regardless, you've been proven to be an idiot once again.

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

Not oversimplification shitferbrains. Using the exact example in the original post as my guide. That would have been stupid as hell to bunt there, and you said they should have. Bottom line. You are an idiot and a nutcase and that was not a bunt situation.

Right. He hit into a DP and the Yankees scored ZERO runs for the rest of the game.

But this is good. I like that I'm eliciting profanity from you.

And you calling me "stupid" is absolutely hilarious. You know, they have websites that generate random IQ tests. If you want to challenge me, I'll obliterate you. Let me know.

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

You thought Joe Girardi should have bunted with the Yankees. Unless, as was said, there are pitchers up in the AL you shouldn't bunt in the AL. I guess playing for 1 in the 9th would be an OK time as well. Regardless, you've been proven to be an idiot once again.

3 or 4 times in a season!:LOL

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

Hundreds of millions of dollars at stake and these teams are blundering about 25 times (using Vizquel's stats as a rough benchmark) per year! They can't get this figured out. But a couple of idiots on a gambling forum know what to do! :LOL

royalfan

EOG Dedicated

Oh my god. I knew you would fall right into that trap. Hook line and sinker. I knew you would go to the after the fact results card!!! And you did. Comical. Not sure what is funnier that you walked right into the trap, or that you are that comically stupid to think the result of a situation is more important than making the right play. This is a fun game. Winning never gets old.

Right. He hit into a DP and the Yankees scored ZERO runs for the rest of the game.

But this is good. I like that I'm eliciting profanity from you.

And you calling me "stupid" is absolutely hilarious. You know, they have websites that generate random IQ tests. If you want to challenge me, I'll obliterate you. Let me know.

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

Omar Vizquel. Averaged 14 sac bunts for every 162 games played. What stupid managers! :LMAO

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Hundreds of millions of dollars at stake and these teams are blundering about 25 times (using Vizquel's stats as a rough benchmark) per year! They can't get this figured out. But a couple of idiots on a gambling forum know what to do! :LOL

We've posted numbers and facts to back up our side, while you jut tell us that Eric Wedge does it all the time and he's a big league manager so we're idiots.

Honestly, would you just kill yourself already and save the world from the misery of your existence?

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

Oh my god. I knew you would fall right into that trap. Hook line and sinker. I knew you would go to the after the fact results card!!! And you did. Comical. Not sure what is funnier that you walked right into the trap, or that you are that comically stupid to think the result of a situation is more important than making the right play. This is a fun game. Winning never gets old.
Note he didn't accept my challenge. I knew you wouldn't Mr. 100 IQ. :LMAO

royalfan

EOG Dedicated

Chessman would probably go get me an ice water if I tell him I will time him as easy as he walks into traps.

:LMAO

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

We've posted numbers and facts to back up our side, while you jut tell us that Eric Wedge does it all the time and he's a big league manager so we're idiots.

Honestly, would you just kill yourself already and save the world from the misery of your existence?

I didn't mention Eric Wedge. Every single AL manager sac bunts more than 3 or 4 times per season, you pathetic imbecile. I guess they don't have internet access. Hey, that guy could make millions if he sends his webpage to the MLB teams! ::LMAO::

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

Chessman would probably go get me an ice water if I tell him I will time him as easy as he walks into traps.

Still won't answer my challenge. Cute jokes but no balls. :LMAO

royalfan

EOG Dedicated

Why don't you scrape together 20k and take my challenge, the Royalfan challenge and then you can find out how smart I am. Didn't think so.

Note he didn't accept my challenge. I knew you wouldn't Mr. 100 IQ. :LMAO

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

Why don't you scrape together 20k and take my challenge, the Royalfan challenge and then you can find out how smart I am. Didn't think so.

STILL scared. You against me. IQ test. Random questions over 80 minutes. Timed. You let me know. The results will be emailed to both of us and we can post them.

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

I challenge him to an IQ test and he wants to gamble on sports. :LOL

The exact amount varies based on run environment, but in general, sac bunting runners on 1st and 2nd with 0 outs gives up about 0.1 runs of expectation. The chance of scoring exactly 1 or exactly 2 runs is increased while the chance of having a bigger inning is decreased. If exactly 2 runs are needed, like a 9th or extra inning scenario, bunting might be correct, but outside of those situations, there's no reason to sacrifice 0.1 runs of expectation just to increase the chance of scoring exactly 1 or 2, unless the batter is a really terrible hitter.

As a point of comparison, when the leadoff batter of the inning makes an out, which is by definition a "non productive out," the expected runs scored that inning decreases by about .25 runs. So an 0.1 run decrease is certainly significant.

royalfan

EOG Dedicated

That is what I do. I gamble and I play the highest stakes fantasy football and baseball leagues in the world. And I am among the best at both from what I understand. Last I knew this is a gambling forum. IQ has nothing to do with gambling sense or helps me in any way. I know who is the better gambler, that is all I care about. Your dumb ass wants to waste 80 minutes taking a test. I want to use mine making more money and discussing sports. Tells me who is smarter right there. I don't need an IQ test to tell me that.

Timetopay

EOG Master

Chess is too fucking stupid to figure out a lot of times guys are bunting for hits with guys on and if they get thrown out it gets credit for sac.

:shoot:

royalfan

EOG Dedicated

Lets try and keep it simple TTP. Chess started this thread. We need to dumb it down for him as much as possible. That point, while an excellent one, is far beyond his knowledge base. Show him some respect and try to dumb it down and keep the topic within his level of understanding. Thanks.

Timetopay

EOG Master

you are correct Royal. Will let him keep rambling with nonsense.

I also noticed he mentioned he doesnt need to listen to us folk on a gambling board but he totally ignored one of the best managers in MLB in Maddon where he doesnt use it as well and we have 3 of the worst 7,8,9 hitters in the AL