High School FB Coach Resigns Over Prayer

Sam Odom

EOG Master
High school coach resigns after being told to stop pregame prayer

EAST BRUNSWICK, N.J. (AP) -- A New Jersey high school football coach has resigned after school officials ordered him to stop leading his team in prayer.

East Brunswick coach Marcus Borden was told last Friday by the schools superintendent that some parents had complained about prayers Borden initiated at pre-game meals and before the games. And after being told to stop leading or taking part in the prayers, Borden quit.

The coach says such prayers are commonplace at sporting events across the state and says he didn't violate anyone's rights. But East Brunswick school officials say the prayers violated the separation between church and state in public schools. A district spokeswoman says students can pray but school officials can't take part.

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
Sam Odom said:
High school coach resigns after being told to stop pregame prayer

EAST BRUNSWICK, N.J. (AP) -- A New Jersey high school football coach has resigned after school officials ordered him to stop leading his team in prayer.

East Brunswick coach Marcus Borden was told last Friday by the schools superintendent that some parents had complained about prayers Borden initiated at pre-game meals and before the games. And after being told to stop leading or taking part in the prayers, Borden quit.

The coach says such prayers are commonplace at sporting events across the state and says he didn't violate anyone's rights. But East Brunswick school officials say the prayers violated the separation between church and state in public schools. A district spokeswoman says students can pray but school officials can't take part.
What if the guy had been a devout Muslim and wanted his players to pray to Allah? I think their decision was probably because of a possibility like this.

X

xpanda

Sam, the guy is supposed to be worrying about coaching football, not shoving religion down people's throats. The fact that he resigned over says he obviously places WAY too much emphasis on it.

If I were the parent of one of these kids, I'd bitch, too. If I want my kid saying prayers every day, we'll do that at home and I'll send them to a denominational school.

Parents have the right, every right in the world, to teach their kids religion or NOT. Teachers in public schools do not have that same right.

the glue

EOG Veteran
It might not help, but it shore as hell want hurt to say a prayer before you play a ball game or eat.:doh1