Hoodie screwed himself

ChiTownJoe

EOG Dedicated
They could have took a penalty and on last FG, the game clock was at 18 sec and play clock was 17. Then have Brady just throw the ball into stands.

PATS f'd up big time at clock management at end of game.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
One clear Belichick mistake: Is Gronkowski the guy you want as a deep safety there?

I'd prefer someone with more speed.

Last edited:

ChiTownJoe

EOG Dedicated
[QUOTE="John Kelly, post: 7476261, member: 30712"

One clear Belichick mistake: Is Gronkowski the guy you want as a deep safety there?

I'd prefer someone with more speed.[/QUOTE]

Agree, he must have been in to prevent bomb into end one to knock down, probably hail mary D. Although Tannehill would have had to throw it 70 yds in air.

I was dumbfounded as to why they would have kicked that FG if TV was showing accurate time on play clock, it made absolutely no sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Miami linebacker Kiko Alonso, when asked about quarterback Ryan Tannehill's ability to play through injury, said live on a Miami television station that Tannehill has BIG BALLS.

"Cajones grandes," he clarified for the Spanish-speaking audience.

ChiTownJoe

EOG Dedicated
STill bad clock management, they should have took penalty. Kicked FG, left 3 sec on clock and kickoff on ground and only have to defend KO

6 second difference

1544392246434.png

Jammer

EOG Dedicated
Interesting point, Joe.

One other Belichick mistake: Is Gronkowski the guy you want as a deep safety there?

Exactly- as ChiTown said, the play was from their own 30 yard line. Not going to throw a hail mary, as opposed to a lateral play.

yisman

EOG Master
very costly game for me with NE ML bet live for over $800

big mistake having Gronkowski back there who isn't agile

obviously a Hail Mary was not an option on that play so a jump ball wasn't going to happen

ComptrBob

EOG Master
This is a classic case of time mismanagement.

Yardage and a FG are secondary concerns when you can guarantee running out the clock with a 10,000,000 to 1 shot of losing the ball.

Even if you have 21 seconds to kill, I would use what I call the "Comptrbob retreat" which consists of a line up of your best QB ball handler and 10 pass blockers. Take the snap from center, form a blocking pocket/protective cup around the QB and slowly move the whole cup backward (up to 20-30 yards back from the line of scrimmage if needed) and toward one sideline (use the sideline as one protective boundary). Usually this alone will kill at least twenty seconds, and then if you need more time, throw it into the stands which will use another 5 seconds.

Of course, the entire play sequence from 1st and goal from the 7 yard line was screwed up. The retreat play could easily burn an extra 7 seconds per play (the runs each took about 4 to 6 seconds) and fourth down wouldn't even have happened.

mr merlin

EOG Master
They could have tried to score a TD as well when they had the ball with 1st down at the 7, they did run 3 plays, but not 3 real plays.

unluckysob

EOG Dedicated
I had Miami +10. I just wanted the fucking game over with. Was it last year lateral was picked off and returned other way?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
This is a classic case of time mismanagement.

Yardage and a FG are secondary concerns when you can guarantee running out the clock with a 10,000,000 to 1 shot of losing the ball.

Even if you have 21 seconds to kill, I would use what I call the "Comptrbob retreat" which consists of a line up of your best QB ball handler and 10 pass blockers. Take the snap from center, form a blocking pocket/protective cup around the QB and slowly move the whole cup backward (up to 20-30 yards back from the line of scrimmage if needed) and toward one sideline (use the sideline as one protective boundary). Usually this alone will kill at least twenty seconds, and then if you need more time, throw it into the stands which will use another 5 seconds.

Of course, the entire play sequence from 1st and goal from the 7 yard line was screwed up. The retreat play could easily burn an extra 7 seconds per play (the runs each took about 4 to 6 seconds) and fourth down wouldn't even have happened.

Classic.

Bob's strategy works well in the tabletop Electric Football game played on a thin-metal vibrating field.

These brain-dead NFL coaches are a bad combination of repetitive and conservative.

If Bob's willing to attach his good name to the unorthodox strategy, "The ComptrBob Retreat," I'd give it a try.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Classic.

Bob's strategy works well in the tabletop Electric Football game played on a thin-metal vibrating field.

These brain-dead NFL coaches are a bad combination of repetitive and conservative.

If Bob's willing to attach his good name to the unorthodox strategy, I'd give it a try.
Or you could flip it to a rb or WR, and have him run around, then he throws a pass just before they get to him?

Dell Dude

EOG Master
STill bad clock management, they should have took penalty. Kicked FG, left 3 sec on clock and kickoff on ground and only have to defend KO

6 second difference

View attachment 7458886

So take penalty or timeout with 7 seconds left. Run a play and try to take it to 0. If not, who cares. Dolphins are at their 10 with one play left. Still need same touchdown but farther.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
Joe, the game clock was frozen at 21 seconds.

The play clock was the amount of time New England had remaining on its fourth-down attempt.
I didn’t watch this stupid game. New plan. Go for the touchdown on 4th. If you miss, Dolphins at own 5. Pull a Fezzik and hold everybody until they are down to their last play which would still be at the 10 or 15.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I didn’t watch this stupid game. New plan. Go for the touchdown on 4th. If you miss, Dolphins at own 5. Pull a Fezzik and hold everybody until they are down to their last play which would still be at the 10 or 15.

That's a winning strategy.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
For whatever reason, I watched the last few minutes of the DEN/SF game. I've seen better time management in Little League football. SF, leading 20-14, has a first down with 2 minutes left on the DEN 33 yard line.

So what do they do? Run 3 sloppy Victory formations apparently with no one even looking at the clock. On 4th down, they snap the ball with 8 seconds on the clock and take a knee. Ball goes to DEN on downs with 5 seconds on the clock allowing them to run a play.

Kyle Shanahan should be fired immediately, what a total putz.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The real solution would be to not give up the TD on a hook and lateral.

More teams should run the hook-and-lateral play (sometimes called the hook-and-ladder play) and not just when they're scrambling to play catch-up in desperate situations.

ChiTownJoe

EOG Dedicated
More teams should run the hook-and-lateral play (sometimes called the hook-and-ladder play) and not just when they're scrambling to play catch-up in desperate situations.

Agree, first one I remember was end of 1st half in early 80's of Mia-SD playoff game.

ChiTownJoe

EOG Dedicated
Pittsburgh ran one

What is amazing is that play worked so well when they had know it was coming.

JK is right saying it should be utilized more often in normal game flow, not just end game. Maybe coaches are afraid of fumble on pitch after completion and don't want to chance?

alfie

EOG Dedicated
Agree, first one I remember was end of 1st half in early 80's of Mia-SD playoff game.

yesterday's play scoring a td was all luck. this play against sd in the playoffs was not luck at all, executed to perfection....

shula versus gase…….mismatch.....

waco

EOG Dedicated
How can you turn down NE -2 in a teaser. Vegas cleaned house. 2nd best weekend of the football season for them. They love those big upsets because the big bucks on big favorites on the money line

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
How can you turn down NE -2 in a teaser. Vegas cleaned house. 2nd best weekend of the football season for them. They love those big upsets because the big bucks on big favorites on the money line

Every Wong teaser looks like a winner before kickoff.

And then the games start.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
What is amazing is that play worked so well when they had know it was coming.

JK is right saying it should be utilized more often in normal game flow, not just end game. Maybe coaches are afraid of fumble on pitch after completion and don't want to chance?

Thankfully, the young offensive-minded NFL coaches are gambling more often not only with down-and-distance situations but also with some creative offensive plays.

Compared to the old guard, some people are calling guys like McVay, Nagy and Pedersen "riverboat gamblers" when in actuality they're simply being aggressive and often times making the right call.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
yesterday's play scoring a td was all luck. this play against sd in the playoffs was not luck at all, executed to perfection....

shula versus gase…….mismatch.....

There was a luck element involved.

But Adam Gase had the right players in the right spots.

The same could not be said for Belichick.

ChiTownJoe

EOG Dedicated
For whatever reason, I watched the last few minutes of the DEN/SF game. I've seen better time management in Little League football. SF, leading 20-14, has a first down with 2 minutes left on the DEN 33 yard line.

So what do they do? Run 3 sloppy Victory formations apparently with no one even looking at the clock. On 4th down, they snap the ball with 8 seconds on the clock and take a knee. Ball goes to DEN on downs with 5 seconds on the clock allowing them to run a play.

Kyle Shanahan should be fired immediately, what a total putz.

Amazing how many clock situations are still screwed up these days. NFL staffs need somebody to monitor the clock.

I was surprised last night that the clock kept running when the BEARS committed a false start on the punt at midfield. They ran the play clock down to around :02 seconds and looked like did a planned false start with about 6 min remaining in the game. Were penalized the 5 yds, and the game clock I swear continued to move. So they were able to take like 75 seconds off the game clock.

I don't know all the rules that well or watch that close, but maybe the game clock continues to run on offensive penalties until final 5 or 2 minutes.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Shame on Oakland for getting fooled in that spot.

Gruden and Co. got bailed out on the missed field goal attempt.

Now the Steelers know how the other teams feel when they play on a crappy field in Pitt. Oakland has had issues with their field in the past, it got them a win on Sunday though.

blueline

EOG Master
Thankfully, the young offensive-minded NFL coaches are gambling more often not only with down-and-distance situations but also with some creative offensive plays.

Compared to the old guard, some people are calling guys like McVay, Nagy and Pedersen "riverboat gamblers" when in actuality they're simply being aggressive and often times making the right call.
Nagy has said he likes to think " what if I'm right" as opposed to " what if I'm wrong"

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Amazing how many clock situations are still screwed up these days. NFL staffs need somebody to monitor the clock.

I was surprised last night that the clock kept running when the BEARS committed a false start on the punt at midfield. They ran the play clock down to around :02 seconds and looked like did a planned false start with about 6 min remaining in the game. Were penalized the 5 yds, and the game clock I swear continued to move. So they were able to take like 75 seconds off the game clock.

I don't know all the rules that well or watch that close, but maybe the game clock continues to run on offensive penalties until final 5 or 2 minutes.

Who says you don't watch that closely, Joe?

Game clock is only stopped on a penalty in the game's final five minutes.

Teams can take a delay-of-game penalty twice on the same down in the situation you described.

The third time triggers an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, a rule instituted in 2009.

Who needs Mike Pereira?

For that matter, who needs Winkyduck?

I'm here.

Last edited:

BenoitPaire2

EOG Veteran
Every Wong teaser looks like a winner before kickoff.

And then the games start.

I love to bet favorite ML parlays in nfl. I am such a square in the sport and I don’t think I’ve had a winning Sunday all year. Yesterday was the best Sunday I’ve had this fall, and that’s cause I didn’t make a single bet