Hot stove thread

MrTop

EOG Master
well the defense will look even better this year.. The reason is darvish and snell miss bats. So those men on base with one out won't come in this year.. The all important K comes in.

Valuist

EOG Master
In terms of betting MLB, all the pitchers should be fresh with the mini 2020 season. Think under before over in 2021 MLB.

blueline

EOG Master
from Bob Nightengale

The Chicago #Cubs, after trading Yu Darvish and non-tendering Kyle Schwarber, are now extensively shopping catcher Willson Contreras. Contreras is projected to earn at least $5 million and perhaps as much as $7.4 million in salary arbitration

kane

EOG master
Big news, it looks like the Mets and Indians are finalizing a trade that would send Francisco Lindor and Carlos Carrasco to NY in exchange for prospects

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
from Bob Nightengale

The Chicago #Cubs, after trading Yu Darvish and non-tendering Kyle Schwarber, are now extensively shopping catcher Willson Contreras. Contreras is projected to earn at least $5 million and perhaps as much as $7.4 million in salary arbitration
Of course he is linked to Maddon and the Angels.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Big news, it looks like the Mets and Indians are finalizing a trade that would send Francisco Lindor and Carlos Carrasco to NY in exchange for prospects

Cleveland's payroll is down to roughly $40 million.

Tanking in baseball creates lopsided standings where there are few average or middling teams.

Last edited:

MrTop

EOG Master
sandy alderson is still team president. how long ? theo next ? Alderson taught billy beane . mets have more money now with their new owner. Lindor going to FA in 2022?. Mets should be better in the next 10 yrs than the last 10.

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated
The Mets finally have an owner with money. If they spend it, they can make the playoffs the majority of years. While that alone does not guarantee a championship, the next ten years should be much better than the previous ten.

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated
Mets fleeced the Indians...
You don’t get equal talent back when you take on a guy who will be in line for a $300 million mega-deal. Rosario and Jimenez can produce now, but certainly the package isn’t equal value. I think Cleveland wanted the Mets to take Carasco’s contract.

MrTop

EOG Master
The last three seasons, there have been 32 instances of PECOTA and Vegas disagreeing by three wins or more on futures, If you bet with PECOTA in each instance, you’d have gone 22-10.

Someone is still going to have to prove to me that paying these superstars max money is really worth it. Dodgers did it, but for their own players mostly. I think Cubs and Indians are probably doing the right thing, you really have to put together a roster of 20-23 or so homegrown or prospects you traded for. Then you can rely on 5 or so hired guns you picked up elsewhere. Or in the case of teams like the A's and Rays, an additional 3-5 guys that other teams gave up on that you got full value out of.

MrTop

EOG Master
Mr Top's favorite player signs a 1 year deal with the Nats

he is a fill in until the team moves up. He will provide pop. On a playoff team swarber is not the answer. He cannot field...is arm is very strong ...use to be a catcher ..His type did well in the 70's and 80's... Too many GM's like billie beane today. They want hitters that don't KO and glove

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Someone is still going to have to prove to me that paying these superstars max money is really worth it. Dodgers did it, but for their own players mostly. I think Cubs and Indians are probably doing the right thing, you really have to put together a roster of 20-23 or so homegrown or prospects you traded for. Then you can rely on 5 or so hired guns you picked up elsewhere. Or in the case of teams like the A's and Rays, an additional 3-5 guys that other teams gave up on that you got full value out of.

I agree that paying max money for long terms rarely works out. I have no idea what the Cubs are doing, outside of the Ricketts family must really be cash poor. They have lost money on everything in the last couple of years and are close to a $Billion in the hole with their Wrigleyville project. Detroit and Cleveland are really strapped for cash also. The only thing the Cubs have going is their WS title has bought them a little more time with the fans. If the White Sox start off fast, that goodwill is gone fast.

And just like that, Tyler Chatwood signs with Toronto.

Valuist

EOG Master
I agree that paying max money for long terms rarely works out. I have no idea what the Cubs are doing, outside of the Ricketts family must really be cash poor. They have lost money on everything in the last couple of years and are close to a $Billion in the hole with their Wrigleyville project. Detroit and Cleveland are really strapped for cash also. The only thing the Cubs have going is their WS title has bought them a little more time with the fans. If the White Sox start off fast, that goodwill is gone fast.

And just like that, Tyler Chatwood signs with Toronto.

Didn't Bryant, Baez and someone else all sign 1 year deals? I would not be surprised to see a mass exodus from Wrigley near the trading deadline as they go full out rebuild. I have no problem with it. Most teams wait too long to gut.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Didn't Bryant, Baez and someone else all sign 1 year deals? I would not be surprised to see a mass exodus from Wrigley near the trading deadline as they go full out rebuild. I have no problem with it. Most teams wait too long to gut.
All three (Contreras also) avoided arbitration, yes.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Theo is currently a consultant to MLB commish Rob Manfred.

I could see Epstein as MLB's next commissioner.

Manfred is 62, Epstein is 47.

Could be similar to a David Stern-Adam Silver handoff.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Theo is currently a consultant to MLB commish Rob Manfred.

I could see Epstein as MLB's next commissioner.

Manfred is 62, Epstein is 47.

Could be similar to a David Stern-Adam Silver handoff.

This will happen, but that Mets job has to pique his interest a little.

And in the interests of baseball, Theo might do well to resurrect the Mets before taking over the entire league.

The Theo move though is to blow everything up, burn everything to the ground, then build it up. What the Mets have over the last 12 or so months kind of goes against all that so it will be interesting to see if Theo would even want the job. I'm sure if he has the conversation with Stevie Cohen he'll be upfront about what he might do and my guess is with a new owner like this its not a situation to bring Theo into the fold.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Halos have cornered the market with all field, no hit catchers getting Suzuki.

Love the fact he is playing in what is probably his last season just 7 miles from where he played in college - driving in the GW run for us in the 2004 CWS. Angels would really be smart to sign Kurt Klutch's CSUF teammate - Justin Turner, too