How can anyone believe David Ortiz wasnt on steriods..????

maverick

EOG Veteran
How could a persons power numbers fall off so drastically???

I dont think they could unless he was using............

He is fastly becoming Brady Anderson II:LMAO

Wade

EOG Master
Re: How can anyone believe David Ortiz wasnt on steriods..????

He still hasn't got a HR this year and its May 13. Him and Manny were shooting each other in the ass.

maverick

EOG Veteran

That Bosox team that won the WS vs the Cards...........I also thought Varitex and Kevin Millar were juicing..........wonder what their power numbers look like compaired to a few years back???

Apple

Banned

Lou Merloni's recent talk isn't helping this arguement.

He had to be on roids and everyone knows it. That 3 and 4 spot in the lineup for the Red Sox was double loaded with roids for years.

Apple

Banned

Take away the 2004 and 2007 World Series?

Wade

EOG Master

Big Papi has turned into Little Papi.

rjt721

EOG Master

Wouldn't have anything to do with a wrist injury. :doh1

texansfan

EOG Master

Wouldn't have anything to do with a wrist injury. :doh1

<TABLE class=tborder id=post2150371 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 1px solid"> 05-12-09, 11:48 PM </TD><TD class=thead style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 1px solid" align=right> #9 </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 0px solid" width=175>rjt721<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_2150371", true); </SCRIPT>
EOG Dedicated

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

:+textinb3

tripp

EOG Master

I personally do not believe Ortiz took steroids. I could be wrong, but he is one of the very few in the league I'd be surprised to hear was using.

I also don't think steroids are a big deal though so if it turns out he was I personally wouldn't think any less of his accomplishments.

This is coming from someone that hates the Sox also.

Apple

Banned

I'm just fucking around, I actually like Boston..

rjt721

EOG Master

So your saying that Ortiz years of steroid abuse has caused his wrist injury?:+clueless
Ortiz missed two months last season with a torn tendon in his wrist. It's an injury that, even at the time, doctors said could prevent him from ever regaining his power. That, coupled with the fact he's 33 and never been in great shape, would be a reasonable explanation for the diminished power.

It's not like Ortiz is noticeably smaller, like when Giambi showed up for Spring training some 20 lbs. lighter a few years back. And it's not like he's hitting balls to the warning track now, something that would show he's lost power, perhaps a result of no longer using steroids. Ortiz isn't hitting anything hard. Ground balls and pop ups when he makes contact. He can no longer get around on a fastball, likely a sign of a) advanced age and b) lack of bat speed as a result of the wrist injury.

But maybe he did use steroids. Who the fuck knows (or cares)?

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

I personally do not believe Ortiz took steroids. I could be wrong, but he is one of the very few in the league I'd be surprised to hear was using.

I also don't think steroids are a big deal though so if it turns out he was I personally wouldn't think any less of his accomplishments.

you need to remove that yankee banner off your av, you obviously love boston teams.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Ortiz missed two months last season with a torn tendon in his wrist. It's an injury that, even at the time, doctors said could prevent him from ever regaining his power. That, coupled with the fact he's 33 and never been in great shape, would be a reasonable explanation for the diminished power.

It's not like Ortiz is noticeably smaller, like when Giambi showed up for Spring training some 20 lbs. lighter a few years back. And it's not like he's hitting balls to the warning track now, something that would show he's lost power, perhaps a result of no longer using steroids. Ortiz isn't hitting anything hard. Ground balls and pop ups when he makes contact. He can no longer get around on a fastball, likely a sign of a) advanced age and b) lack of bat speed as a result of the wrist injury.

But maybe he did use steroids. Who the fuck knows (or cares)?

I care.

tripp

EOG Master

You guys act like steroids is some sort of magical potion that turns you into a 40 hr a year monster. Steroids would not explain the drop in stats one bit. You don't go from being a 40 hr hitter to having no power because of steroids.

The smart players used steroids in HS/College to help them become monsters and stopped once they got into the majors. Once you stop taking steroids you don't just all of a sudden become some useless POS. You can keep working out and gain muscle, it just doesn't happen so rapidly and you won't have the same energy level during your workouts.

People have such a horrible understanding of steroids and yet they make all these assumptions of what players are and aren't doing them and talk as if they are experts. I don't have a very good understanding of steroids either. I couldn't tell you the exact benefits, dangers, and side effects from stopping, but I know enough to know that you don't all of a sudden become weak or lose any talent you had because you stop taking them. Many guys take them just to gain some muscle quickly, then stop and just work out enough to keep the muscle.

I think the main reason people hate steroids so much and the people that use them is because they think anyone can just take steroids and become a great player. It doesn't work like that. No matter how many PED's you are taking you still have to have a tremendous amount of talent to achieve what guys like Giambi, Palmerio, Sosa, McGuire, Arod, Manny and Papi did. These are all tremendously talented individuals and were all incredible to watch in their prime (Manny and Arod are still in their prime). Steroids didn't make them who they are, they just enhanced their power with roids. Not a big deal.

tripp

EOG Master

So are you anit-Arod then? You can't cheer for Arod and support him as a Yankee if you are going to post about Ortiz using roids every single day, when that hasn't even been proven.

You are the ultimate homer and it embarrasses all Yankee fans.

I support Arod and love watching him play. I couldn't care less about the steroids. I don't give a shit if the Yankees or Red Sox have team meetings where every single player injects themselves with roids. Hell, all it'd do is make for a better product which is all I care about.

The point is if you are going to support one roid user you support them all. You can dislike Ortiz because he plays for the Sox, but to make a big deal about possibly talking steroids is a joke when many Yankees have the done the same. I wouldn't be surprised if Beckett took roids either, but it doesn't matter to me. I like to see him have bad games because he plays for the Sox, not because I think he might have used roids.

This whole issue is a joke.

I think Ortiz didnt. He was still fat during the prime hr years, he was never freakishly bulky at any time. Plus, he has been one of the players very vocal about cleaning up the game the last few years. If he did use, then he is pulling off one of the better acting jobs in sports history.

fivedoorsdown

EOG Dedicated

red sox fans are more blind than others.

the only thing they know is they got their world series FINALLY.

Fellas you guys are so confused....Manny tested positive as a Dodger....the 2004 SOX slayed the steriod yankees....NO RED SOX worth his salt has tested positive while on the team....get some facts fellas!

YANKEE fans are NOW what SOX fans used to be....SOUR...and Jealous...it is so fun to watch.....:LMAO

After all those years....the shoe is on the other foot and I love it!!!:finger004

Sucks don't it!!:+textinb3 and so do the YANKEES!!! LOL!!!:+excited-

If you take anything away...start with the Petite, Rocket teams...those are facts....and they even turned on eachother....

roseman

EOG Dedicated

Unless my math is off, the yankees have the most publicly known offenders of steroid use? Those that have been caught anyway. I may be wrong though.

ShavenCoinpurse

EOG Dedicated

Unless my math is off, the yankees have the most publicly known offenders of steroid use? Those that have been caught anyway. I may be wrong though.

That's because it is only a big story when a big name is caught. Remember there are still 103 or so names that have tested positive and not leaked to the media. You think it is a bigger story if ARod tested positive or Ricky Weeks from the brewers? There tons of guys that tested positive just not released publicly.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

See, this is the difference between you and me. You wait for reports to be leaked and you wait for the media to tell you who got caught and who did not. Me, on the other hand, don't listen to the media because i don't believe everything i hear. I actually watch the games. Its not hard to pick out the cheaters just by watching. Here's an example. Lets say a thoroughbred horse trainer who's had a long laundry list of transgressions claims a horse from a trainer who's known to be honest. Lets also say that in one week, that horse explodes into orbit and wins by 20 lengths and runs a speed figure far and away faster than anything he's ever done. Lets also say that runner 'tests clean'. You would look at the clean test and say "i guess he didn't cheat, must have been good horsemanship". I, on the other hand, wouldn't believe what i heard. I'd say "yeah right, i'm pretty sure (with a sarcastic grin) that this situation was on the up and up.

That's the difference between you and me and your math. You just blindly believe what the press and media tell you and i go out and make my own conclusions and don't just blindly accept someone at their word.

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

Ortiz hasn't been the same since he started dating Jenna Jameson.

NoNewbieca

EOG Dedicated

FK - you have an incredible talent there. You can tell who's using just by watching the games. Sell this ability to the league and make a fortune. Seriously. The IOC will call on your next, and it will save them millions on testing equipment. You watch the game then point your magic finger and tell them who's on the juice and who isn't.

Nep Dynasty

EOG Enthusiast

So are you anit-Arod then? You can't cheer for Arod and support him as a Yankee if you are going to post about Ortiz using roids every single day, when that hasn't even been proven.

You are the ultimate homer and it embarrasses all Yankee fans.

I support Arod and love watching him play. I couldn't care less about the steroids. I don't give a shit if the Yankees or Red Sox have team meetings where every single player injects themselves with roids. Hell, all it'd do is make for a better product which is all I care about.

The point is if you are going to support one roid user you support them all. You can dislike Ortiz because he plays for the Sox, but to make a big deal about possibly talking steroids is a joke when many Yankees have the done the same. I wouldn't be surprised if Beckett took roids either, but it doesn't matter to me. I like to see him have bad games because he plays for the Sox, not because I think he might have used roids.

This whole issue is a joke.

Great post. He's am embarrassment to more than just Yankees fans. He doesn't have a clue. If he spent half as much time worrying about his own teams as he did hating Boston, his opinion might be slightly valued.

maverick

EOG Veteran

You guys act like steroids is some sort of magical potion that turns you into a 40 hr a year monster. Steroids would not explain the drop in stats one bit. You don't go from being a 40 hr hitter to having no power because of steroids.

The smart players used steroids in HS/College to help them become monsters and stopped once they got into the majors. Once you stop taking steroids you don't just all of a sudden become some useless POS. You can keep working out and gain muscle, it just doesn't happen so rapidly and you won't have the same energy level during your workouts.

People have such a horrible understanding of steroids and yet they make all these assumptions of what players are and aren't doing them and talk as if they are experts. I don't have a very good understanding of steroids either. I couldn't tell you the exact benefits, dangers, and side effects from stopping, but I know enough to know that you don't all of a sudden become weak or lose any talent you had because you stop taking them. Many guys take them just to gain some muscle quickly, then stop and just work out enough to keep the muscle.

I think the main reason people hate steroids so much and the people that use them is because they think anyone can just take steroids and become a great player. It doesn't work like that. No matter how many PED's you are taking you still have to have a tremendous amount of talent to achieve what guys like Giambi, Palmerio, Sosa, McGuire, Arod, Manny and Papi did. These are all tremendously talented individuals and were all incredible to watch in their prime (Manny and Arod are still in their prime). Steroids didn't make them who they are, they just enhanced their power with roids. Not a big deal.

I couldnt agree more with you on some points........especially on the fact that say an average say 18yr old can put on an extra 30lbs then stop and still maintain 20 lbs of this just by working out and such without the steriods.............

Thats why I laugh when I hear these stories that these guys didnt juice EARLY in their careers and even thought they can be clean now what about that 20lbs that they gain from 18-21........also keep in mind this extra muscle enables you to continually lift heavy poundages which helps you eat and keep size..........so you cant tell me guys cant maintain added muscle mass........I have seen it in the real world after usage stopped..........

On to Ortiz.......I cant help but feel power to hit hrs have to have a strength component........ I have no doubt a persons strength will decline when they stop using........it may not matter that when a person bench presses say 400lbs(juiced) now can only bench press 280(not juiced)...........but when you are a sluggler and the whole baseball community is watching people notice..........

Simple fact you are just stronger when on cycle..........

Only my opinion:+clueless

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

FK - you have an incredible talent there. You can tell who's using just by watching the games. Sell this ability to the league and make a fortune. Seriously. The IOC will call on your next, and it will save them millions on testing equipment. You watch the game then point your magic finger and tell them who's on the juice and who isn't.

Its not hard to tell. You just have to believe in your own talent and eyes. Luckily, i have a gift.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

This shocks me. Lets see, he changed his name, gained 100 pounds and went from a 20 HR guy to a 50 HR guy..... I thought Ortiz was one of the more obvious users of all-time.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Dumbest comment I've ever seen. Sammy Sosa was my favorite player in baseball when he was on the White Sox. He was not a power hitter. He was a smaller 20-20 guy, and he turned into a 60+ HR guy.

How quickly we seem to forget Brady Anderson. He went from a 20 to a 50 HR guy in ONE season. You are nuts if you don't think steroids give you an UNREAL amount of power.

Barry Bonds was a 40 HR guy who hit 70 HR's. That's 30 HR's.