How long can an NFL coach survive without the support of the media?

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
My answer is NFL (not for long)!

in the case of Mike Zimmer the media called for his firing constantly and eventually the ownership got tired of hearing it.

Zimmer was pretty intolerant of the media and it looks like the media got even.

Vikings have lost a lot of coaching talent to other organizations. Decimated by COVID and injuries. So, that was a depth problem.

Vikings just could not keep Cook and Theilen healthy. But, I do not think the players gave up on Zimmer.

The media had a huge negative impact on the fan base. The new coach is already got an 0-3 record. One loss and the media will start the B & W routine and be a major obstacle.

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
Do you feel the Boston media is after Belichick and trying to get him fired?

I agree that Belichick does not care about the media and only talks to them because he has to.

But, if the media wants to bad enough they will get him fired.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
My answer is NFL (not for long)!

in the case of Mike Zimmer the media called for his firing constantly and eventually the ownership got tired of hearing it.

Zimmer was pretty intolerant of the media and it looks like the media got even.

Vikings have lost a lot of coaching talent to other organizations. Decimated by COVID and injuries. So, that was a depth problem.

Vikings just could not keep Cook and Theilen healthy. But, I do not think the players gave up on Zimmer.

The media had a huge negative impact on the fan base. The new coach is already got an 0-3 record. One loss and the media will start the B & W routine and be a major obstacle.
The last couple of years, the defense really dropped off. One can attribute it to the big contract they game Cousins, leaving little money to address the D. Personally I wouldn’t mind Zimmer in Chicago.

Woodrow Wilson

EOG Dedicated
8 years

72-56-1

Zimmer didn't really have any bad years. Half were near .500 and his best was 2017, 13-3 losing in the NFC Championship to Philadelphia.

Kirk Cousins is an older Tua. Incapable of becoming elite.

Zimmer probably is an older Flores.

The next coach will be inheriting a pretty good roster.

Being 65, his best value will be as a DC at his next coaching stop IMHO.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
8 years

72-56-1

Zimmer didn't really have any bad years. Half were near .500 and his best was 2017, 13-3 losing in the NFC Championship to Philadelphia.

Kirk Cousins is an older Tua. Incapable of becoming elite.

Zimmer probably is an older Flores.

The next coach will be inheriting a pretty good roster.

Being 65, his best value will be as a DC at his next coaching stop IMHO.

And Zimmer's point spread record with the Vikings was sterling at one point in time.

Over Minnesota's first 43 home games under Zimmer, the Vikings were 30-12-1 against the spread.

boston massacre

EOG Master
Do you feel the Boston media is after Belichick and trying to get him fired?

I agree that Belichick does not care about the media and only talks to them because he has to.

The Boston Media Doesn't Like Belchick's Press Conferences.

only talks to them because he has to. Correct.

He Hates All Their Questions. Especially After a Loss.

He Doesn't Elaborate Much For Them. 1 Word Answers. They Hate it.

They Know Better. Hasn't Ever Been Written About Since He Became H.C. of Patriots.

Who's Going To Fire Somebody With These Accomplishments ?

As head coach:
As defensive coordinator:

Super Bowl champion (XXI, XXV)

NFL head coaching records

Most Super Bowl wins: 6
Most Super Bowl appearances: 9
Most playoff wins: 31