How many here have attended the Kentucky Derby?

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated
Re: How many here have attended the Kentucky Derby?

That filly---Winning Colors--made even me a legend in my mind (of course)

gofur876

EOG Addicted

Always wanted to go. Was @ the Belmont once, long ago. Other than foots & hoops, would rather go to or watch a race than any other sport91023i2ndw;l

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated

Always wanted to go. Was @ the Belmont once, long ago. Other than foots & hoops, would rather go to or watch a race than any other sport91023i2ndw;l

Yep-I've seen 2 Belmont Stakes in person and 2 or 3 Preakness in person( one I was about out of it and don't remember going).
But I crave the Derby experience. Maybe now I could be there on a Friday and LOL--watch it from a room somewhere close bye on a Sat.

Thinking of Kentucky as an alternate to Nevada as a place to move.

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated

When all is said and done. There are 3 races and 3 states that will SAVE horse Racing for the ages. It begins in Kentucky and ends in New York.

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated

1975..Foolish Pleasure..The very first horse race I ever watched I did not even know there was such a thing as horse racing.....Hooked me on the spot.. I Was 8 years old and watching ABC with my uncle at my grandmas and this race was on! I thought it was like car racing and would go on for a couple hours! I told him I was going to go home and watch it as my mom was calling me to leave for home....!! Then my uncle tells me its over in 2 minutes!!! , I was shocked and my mom let me stay the extra few minutes...and the horse who's name I liked Foolish Pleasure won the race...later that summer he raced vs Ruffian and ruffian broke down and was later put down..back then you got updates in the newspaper, I remember reading each day what the progress was on her, I liked Foolish Pleasure the boy horse but wanted her to be OK, I did not realize they had to humanly destroy horses with injuries..quite emotional.. 1975 seems like yesterday sometimes..

try--we are a lot alike. In 1975--I was a young man, much older than you. The race you mention deeply affected me. Like you --I wanted Foolish Pleasure to win, but I was so very deeply upset about Ruffian. The fact she was beaten did not affect me at all, but to be 'destroyed' --"DESTROYED me". Ruffian was what Horse Racing is ALL about! The old rock and roll song says......"they built this city on rock and roll"... You Can BELIEVE....this sport survives because of horses like RUFFIAN. She was one of a kind....'Fire in her eyes'.
A year or so ago--we saw a Filly in the Belmont Stakes--that I liked to beat Curlin....named "Rags to Riches". She did and both are the finest of fine.
This sport or RACE attracts the wealthiest oil shieks in the world and the poorest of folks that simply love it on all scales..... May the:

1st Saturday in May;; ALLWAYS BE THE GREATEST DAY ON EARTH.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

I have always said that I would rather spend a day at the track than attend any major sporting event during the regular season...

Grew up attending the races at Atlantic City Race Track during the 60's...they still have the finest grass course in the country and it is still maintained to this day...original home of the United Nations Handicap...would ditch school to attend the afternoon races which averaged over 25,000 people a day....those days are gone and are replaced by simulcast...

unseendamage

EOG Enthusiast

I love Churchill but i would take Keenland or Saratoga everyday. Too bad they have such short meets. If you just want to party, stay in the infield. If you want to handicap and bet, dish out the bucks for some tickets. Maybe you will run into Slick Rick (pitino) and his extorting ex flame..........

I love Churchill but i would take Keenland or Saratoga everyday. Too bad they have such short meets. If you just want to party, stay in the infield. If you want to handicap and bet, dish out the bucks for some tickets. Maybe you will run into Slick Rick (pitino) and his extorting ex flame..........

I've been to saratoga several times, I love the Travers Week...

Go up there and camp upsate New York, Awesome time...

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry

just landed in Lville..grabing a quick bite at a coffee shop and catching up...track thursday..then Friday Oaks and Saturady Derby baby! 10 in a row......

Wade

EOG Master

I want to live in Kentucky. I hear the houses are cheap.

louisvillekid

EOG Dedicated

I want to live in Kentucky. I hear the houses are cheap.
if you are comparing cost of living in Manhattan or any burro in NYC or most of Cali, then yeah houses are cheap.
Heck, just search homes for sale in Louisville and you will notice that a 5,000 sq ft home in the east end will be anywhere from 400,000 to maybe 700,000 depending on the area or neighborhood, and a house like that with same BR's, baths, amenities, etc., might run you well over a million in some cities.

I worked in construction years ago and worked at a plumbing place that did work in the area called Prospect in northeastern Jefferson county, and we did some homes that were just unbelievable, and the most expensive i was ever in was going to have an asking price of right at 1 million, most were in the 500,000-750,000 and when i watch those Crib shows and other home shows and they mention the price for some homes in big cities, I can't help but notice you would get way more value here in Louisville.

Black Bart

EOG Addicted

As a college sophomore, I drove from Charleston, SC to Louisville with a girl I was dating who was from Louisville. Infield was a blast. Shoemaker came past us in last place on Ferdinand but ended up winning as a 15-1 shot. I hit every race except the Derby, but my girlfriend had Ferdinand because Shoemaker was wearing pink on his silks.

Would love to go back, maybe sit in the grandstand this time.