How many here have attended the Kentucky Derby?

Re: How many here have attended the Kentucky Derby?

Have always wanted to. Once in my lifetime I will go.

Spend A Buck year. 10 of us in a Winnebego. We had a blast.

The first Derby I remember getting into and watching as a kid was Spend A Buck's win. Chief's Crown was the favorite coming in. I grew up in NJ and remember Spend A Buck had a lot of hype in that area.

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated

I liked racing and fell in Love with Spend-A-Buck. An early computer program was all over him to win. Great Memories.

fifty cint

EOG Dedicated

We rented a Winnebago(15 years ago)& drove there on Thursday.

Only regret was not getting there earlier.Tons of parties...lots of interesting things to do.The track/race was great too.Highly recommend.

karamazov

EOG Veteran

I went 10 years ago. Drucken depravity at its highest. Went with some buddies from high school. Spent the day in the infield quite the scene. Chicks topless everywhere. My buddy hit the trifecta on the main race and we had a blast spending his money.

Went and saw the closest one ever, Grindstone by a nose over Cavonnier... Hated It, 120 degrees buried in the infield with a bunch of drunk idiots who didnt know a horse from a Zebra. I love the sport, and would go again, but only if I were around the good seats or clubhouse levels.. I never even got to see a race other than on the Jumbotron. 2938u4ji23

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry

man Im going to my 10th in a row..leaving WEd night. home Sunday.

11th overall...

best for me was Barbaro, then Monarchos, then Funny cide and then Fu Peg, at least best for $$$ making...

most amazing was the unreal severe weather just prior to Smarty Jones..

most unbelievable could hear a pin drop was when Giacomo somehow won...

Oaks day is also most amazing...I get some primo nice tickets for Oaks that event...

Derby is Infield crazy day.......

parties, riverboat gambling, story telling, memoires, just a great get away.

Apple

Banned

Will have to go at least one in my lifetime.. Definitely on my to do list

louisvillekid

EOG Dedicated

me, if you live here you kind of get jaded of it.
I miss the old days when Central Ave. was a big all day all night party and then you went to the infield. Central is all different now and no big block party, and infield changed years ago, still probably a good experience.

ballwonder

EOG Master

Never have but my wife and I always watch the 3 big races together on t.v. We hope to some day go. Some day.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

Early seventies, had a blast...then traveled north and viewed all the horse farms...

Chackiee

EOG Veteran

I liked racing and fell in Love with Spend-A-Buck. An early computer program was all over him to win. Great Memories.

LOL, My Very First Horse Wager Was On Him That Day, Now I Work With His Former Exercise Rider....I Had The Pleasure Of Working A Couple Of Horses Over That Surface, What A Thrill That Was, Loved It There

unluckysob

EOG Dedicated

Been to ONE. But what a year to go---1978-- Affirmed still last triple crown winner. Great battles with Aladar, finished second all 3 times. Aladar was a great horse--but he just couldnt beat that bastard.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

LOL, My Very First Horse Wager Was On Him That Day, Now I Work With His Former Exercise Rider....I Had The Pleasure Of Working A Couple Of Horses Over That Surface, What A Thrill That Was, Loved It There

I bet you have some stories to tell...:cheers

WeinketoWarrick

EOG Master

lived in louisville for 2 years and went to the oaks but never the derby. someday i will.

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated

It was sota a shame that his owners or trainer did not want him to run for the Triple Crown. But maybe just as well. This horse was well bred if I remember correctly.

Chackiee

EOG Veteran

It was sota a shame that his owners or trainer did not want him to run for the Triple Crown. But maybe just as well. This horse was well bred if I remember correctly.

They Went To Garden State Park Instead Because Of The Huge Bonus They Offered To Any Horse Winning Both The Kentucky Derby And Jersey Derby

ynot

EOG Dedicated

me, if you live here you kind of get jaded of it.
I miss the old days when Central Ave. was a big all day all night party and then you went to the infield. Central is all different now and no big block party, and infield changed years ago, still probably a good experience.

Have been to 12 Derbys, the first in 1989. We stayed in a yard between Central and the track. By 1992 the Friday night parade down Central was no longer there. Some of the best times in my life, but we had a unique situation staying a block from the track and could come and go all week long to and from the track.:cheers

CHARLIEPEETE

EOG Dedicated

i have been to two of them once in 1975 and the other about two years

ago..........had a blast both times we were going this year but we have

plans to go to europe..............my sister in law lives about 20 minutes

away from churchill downs............best time to go is during their meet..............:cheers

buddypar4

EOG Enthusiast

Went to about 15 in 18 years back in the late 70's and 80's. You need to go once. Still have those funky glass they give you with a mint julep. Pour the drink out and keep the glass for a sovenir.Boy, there are some strange people and then again some people that are there to be seen and have no idea what is going on .Parties after parties.

Been to ONE. But what a year to go---1978-- Affirmed still last triple crown winner. Great battles with Aladar, finished second all 3 times. Aladar was a great horse--but he just couldnt beat that bastard.
ALYDAR 2348ji23e

vinividivinci

EOG Addicted

Have been every year since 1981 (Pleasant Colony) and Mrs VVV and I are leaving Thursday AM for this year's Derby. The whole experience is awsome, just great from every perspective. This is the first year I haven't looked at past performances. Just been really busy I guess.

Trytrytry, where do you score the Oaks tickets? Shoot me a PM if you have any extras to sell.

VVV

p.s. The Kentucky Derby is an event that everyone should experience at least once. Most will want to go again after their first experience.

nedrow

EOG Dedicated

man Im going to my 10th in a row..leaving WEd night. home Sunday.

11th overall...

best for me was Barbaro, then Monarchos, then Funny cide and then Fu Peg, at least best for $$$ making...

most amazing was the unreal severe weather just prior to Smarty Jones..

most unbelievable could hear a pin drop was when Giacomo somehow won...

Oaks day is also most amazing...I get some primo nice tickets for Oaks that event...

Derby is Infield crazy day.......

parties, riverboat gambling, story telling, memoires, just a great get away.
if u got a laptop ,blog us up
try try try derbys blog thread:thumbsup

louisvillekid

EOG Dedicated

The first Derby I remember getting into and watching as a kid was Spend A Buck's win. Chief's Crown was the favorite coming in. I grew up in NJ and remember Spend A Buck had a lot of hype in that area.
was reading the sunday paper and seen this auction ad.
A farm and old colonial home originally built by a former bodyguard of Napoleon and where Spend a Buck was born.

http://www.kurtzauctions.com/kurtz_1auction.asp?auc_ID=265&nav_ID=56

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry

i have been to two of them once in 1975 and the other about two years

ago..........had a blast both times we were going this year but we have

plans to go to europe..............my sister in law lives about 20 minutes

away from churchill downs............best time to go is during their meet..............:cheers

1975..Foolish Pleasure..The very first horse race I ever watched I did not even know there was such a thing as horse racing.....Hooked me on the spot.. I Was 8 years old and watching ABC with my uncle at my grandmas and this race was on! I thought it was like car racing and would go on for a couple hours! I told him I was going to go home and watch it as my mom was calling me to leave for home....!! Then my uncle tells me its over in 2 minutes!!! , I was shocked and my mom let me stay the extra few minutes...and the horse who's name I liked Foolish Pleasure won the race...later that summer he raced vs Ruffian and ruffian broke down and was later put down..back then you got updates in the newspaper, I remember reading each day what the progress was on her, I liked Foolish Pleasure the boy horse but wanted her to be OK, I did not realize they had to humanly destroy horses with injuries..quite emotional.. 1975 seems like yesterday sometimes..

louisvillekid

EOG Dedicated

went to Calumet Farms and all the other big farms in Kentucky....what direction was it from CD?

Think it was around Perris, KY??
yeah if you go east on I-64, if you go north from Churchill you are basically just going into the heart of downtown Louisville and then you're at the Ohio River.
Most of the big ones are in Lexington(Fayette county)and Versailles and Midway, but Paris and Winchester have farms as well, as do surrounding counties.

louisvillekid

EOG Dedicated

Have been to 12 Derbys, the first in 1989. We stayed in a yard between Central and the track. By 1992 the Friday night parade down Central was no longer there. Some of the best times in my life, but we had a unique situation staying a block from the track and could come and go all week long to and from the track.:cheers
i was thinking around 95-96 they shut it down, i know 90 and 91 it was still an all night party cause i was there, but i think in 92 is when the police started at each end of Central between Taylor Blvd. and 3rd street and worked there way inwards making everyone leave starting around 11-midnight.
All i know is Central looks totally different now, the small shotgun homes along the street are gone, the Downs has expanded so much in the past decade, and Central goes all the way over to Crittenten Dr. You have all the new UofL sports complexes, Papa John's Stadium and Patterson Field for Baseball, got that big shopping center. Just everything has changed.

i had a great uncle who lived right by the track when i was little, and i remember going over there for family gatherings, you could sit on his roof and watch the races.

in the early 00's i worked at a construction place that did some work on an old abandoned school at 5th and Central. I remeber us going up on the roof and checking out the view of the track.