How many years is Atlanta's Bobby Cox past his prime?

Bucsfan67

EOG Master
Re: How many years is Atlanta's Bobby Cox past his prime?

think he's still one of the top 5 managers in the game...

so my answer would be -0-

THE HITMAN

EOG Dedicated

think he's still one of the top 5 managers in the game...

so my answer would be -0-
I agree here, Bucs. He's still top-flite. Managers are not like players where they have a prime, his knowledge of the game stays intact.

6-8-09

The game, which lasted almost 5 hours, gave Cox his 2000th career win with the Braves. He said he didn't know about the milestone until it was announced after the game.
"All it means is that you're getting old and you've been around too long," said the 68-year-old skipper.
Cox's 2,355 wins overall in 28 seasons with Atlanta and Toronto rank fourth all-time.
"Just another notch in his Hall of Fame belt," said Chipper Jones, who hit a two-run homer in the first inning. Karstens (2-4) walked Gregor Blanco to lead off the 15th. Blanco was forced out at second on Francoeur's unsuccessful

Tim Finchem

EOG Dedicated

I didnt know you could be past your prime when all you do is sit on a bench, spit sunflower seeds, drink gatorade, chew tobacco(if that is your thing),make a lineup card, and pull pitchers out of the game

easiest gig in the world

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

how long has he been with the Braves? that is your answer

THE MOST OVERRATED MANAGER IN MLB HISTORY!

to have the pitchig staff he did and to win ONLY ONE World Series is pathetic. the ONLY WS he won was when he was up against a BIGGER DUNDERHEAD than him - Mike Hargrove. every other time he was up against someone better than him - and he lost

I would have led the Braves to more than one WS title in this time

Bobby Cox - OVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAATED!

0, he is still a good manager, and guys still play hard for him. It's not Cox's fault they have had the worst pitching and poor hitting the last 5 yrs. Cox is one of the old timers like Torre who treats his guys with care and his players in turn want to win FOR him. That hasnt changed.. his players play hurt, and there is ZERO dissention in Atlanta, and that has always been true.

Last time I checked the Braves were over 500 and not out of the division at all.

how long has he been with the Braves? that is your answer

THE MOST OVERRATED MANAGER IN MLB HISTORY!

to have the pitchig staff he did and to win ONLY ONE World Series is pathetic. the ONLY WS he won was when he was up against a BIGGER DUNDERHEAD than him - Mike Hargrove. every other time he was up against someone better than him - and he lost

I would have led the Braves to more than one WS title in this time

Bobby Cox - OVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAATED!

stick to critiquing whores. you know less than nothing. managers do not win world series' and the fact the braves had the amazing consistent run they did is a TESTAMENT to the good job that Bobby Cox has done. Youre one of those annoying "can't win the big one" chumps who has probably never even played wiffleball.... If you were the Braves manager, it wouldve been the first time in team sport history that players murdered their leader. :hangt

tripp

EOG Master

not really a "prime" for managers. he is still a very knowledgeable guy and a very good manager.

can't fault him for the team he has right now. he just doesn't have a very good team and its not his fault they will miss the playoffs. i would love cox to be on the yanks. only guy id for sure put over him as the top manager in baseball is torre, and probably cito gaston/terry francona also. cox is top 5 though.

not really a "prime" for managers. he is still a very knowledgeable guy and a very good manager.

can't fault him for the team he has right now. he just doesn't have a very good team and its not his fault they will miss the playoffs. i would love cox to be on the yanks. only guy id for sure put over him as the top manager in baseball is torre, and probably cito gaston/terry francona also. cox is top 5 though.

i can't believe through all those years no one hired cito gaston. all he did was win in toronto. a great teacher of hitting, and another guy that isnt over-the-top with emotions like ozzie guillen..

tripp

EOG Master

i can't believe through all those years no one hired cito gaston. all he did was win in toronto. a great teacher of hitting, and another guy that isnt over-the-top with emotions like ozzie guillen..

cito is a guy players love also. he's consistent, very, very knowledgeable about the game, knows how to effectively teach these guys and he's not someone that will embarrass the organization at times like a lou pinella or ozzie guillen occasionally does.

definitely one of the most underrated managers from recent memory

THE HITMAN

EOG Dedicated

maybe none...........consistently one of the best in baseball

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

stick to critiquing whores. you know less than nothing. managers do not win world series' and the fact the braves had the amazing consistent run they did is a TESTAMENT to the good job that Bobby Cox has done. Youre one of those annoying "can't win the big one" chumps who has probably never even played wiffleball.... If you were the Braves manager, it wouldve been the first time in team sport history that players murdered their leader. :hangt

managers DO win WS - or rather they can LOSE them

the run was due to Glavine, Maddux, Smoltz and some with Avery

i wouldn't have choked away 1996

Wade

EOG Master

I agree here, Bucs. He's still top-flite. Managers are not like players where they have a prime, his knowledge of the game stays intact.

Bobby Cox should be a top-flite security nigga like Craig and Day-Day. :suit:

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

Bobby Cox is one of the all time best...no-brainer...

Better question is how does Wedge and Acta keep their jobs...

Some of you guys blasting Cox never had a prime...

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

Bobby Cox is one of the all time best...no-brainer...

Better question is how does Wedge and Acta keep their jobs...

Some of you guys blasting Cox never had a prime...

Acta i understand because that franchise is so fucked up

Wedge - GREAT question one i have been asking for some time now. the Central is a VERY winnable division and right now the Indians are NOT out of it. however with Wedge at the helm they have NO CHANCE! Can his ass and they can - and might - win it

Cox has been overrated for too long to count

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/news...11074670&vkey=notebook_min&fext=.jsp&c_id=min

06/11/10 8:40 PM ET
Gardenhire admires Cox's dedication

By Jocelyn Syrstad / MLB.com

MINNEAPOLIS -- Manager Ron Gardenhire is quick to point out how astonishing it is that Atlanta manager Bobby Cox has been the head of the Braves for 29 years.
However, he is also quick to respond that he doubts he will stick around that long as the manager of the Twins.
"Twenty-nine years? Chrysler, I doubt it," Gardenhire said. "I don't think my motor home is going to wait for me that long."
While Gardenhire appreciates the dedication Cox and former Twins manager Tom Kelly had to their team and to their sport, he said it takes a lot to last that long in any career.
"Some guys it just becomes their routine day in and day out, and they want to do it forever," Gardenhire said. "If you start getting to the point where it becomes a hard job, hard to come to the ballpark, then it's probably time."
Plouffe, Valencia take over left side of infield

MINNEAPOLIS -- At the end of Spring Training, manager Ron Gardenhire told both Trevor Plouffe and Danny Valencia that they would see playing time in the big leagues this season.
However, he never would have thought they'd be in the infield at Target Field at the same time.
With J.J. Hardy and Orlando Hudson both on the 15-day disabled list, Plouffe and Valencia took over the left side of the infield in the Twins series opener against the Braves on Friday.
"You never know what's going to happen, but it's good for them," Gardenhire said. "They worked hard to get here, and they're getting an opportunity. That's what baseball is all about. You've got to have some depth."
Plouffe and Valencia are comfortable playing with each other, as they've been teammates for the past year and a half at Triple-A Rochester, and Plouffe said it's nice to share the field together at the Major League level.
This is the second time this season Plouffe has been called up from Rochester, and he said he is excited for the opportunity. In his last Major League stint in a three-game series against Milwaukee, Plouffe went 3-for-13 with three RBIs.
Valencia has been in the lineup since June 3, and he has gone 8-for-26 with one stolen base.
"Danny's been fantastic, and the first time Plouffe was here he was fantastic," Gardenhire said. "It's a work in progress, and we just let them go out and play."
Plouffe also batted second in the order for the Twins on Friday, but said he had no nerves surrounding the pressure of the task.
"I'm excited for that, too," Plouffe said. "It's what I've been doing all year. It's my job to get guys over for the big boys behind me, and that's what I'm going to try to do."
Matt Tolbert has also been filling in for the injured Twins, starting at second base for the three-game series against the Royals. He was available on the bench for the Twins on Friday as Nick Punto started the game at second.
Brendan Harris is also available to start in the infield for the Twins, and Gardenhire said there is a good chance he will be in the lineup as soon as Saturday. He has not started since the series finale against Oakland on June 6. "He's going to play," Gardenhire said. "He'll get out there, believe me. He will."
Braves bring in 1991 World Series memories

MINNEAPOLIS -- When the Braves rolled into town on Friday to go up against the Twins in a three-game Interleague series, manager Ron Gardenhire's thoughts went back to the 1991 season.
The Twins beat the Braves that year in the World Series, finally winning at the Metrodome in Game 7.
"Some pretty good memories, probably about as good of baseball memories as I have," Gardenhire said. "Just being able to be a part of something like that was unbelievable."
Gardenhire couldn't stop smiling as he reminisced about the Twins' second-ever title, and the last World Series they have participated in. He said that whenever he sees the Braves his thoughts automatically go back to that series.
Gardenhire said he was talking to some local Braves fans this past week who were saying Atlanta was coming back to town for payback. Gardenhire's response was simple: "They'll never pay us back for that. We have the ring, and it will always be our ring."

Cox's legacy unmatched in Braves history | MLB.com: News

10/02/10 11:05 AM ET
Cox's legacy unmatched in Braves history

Skipper set to walk away on his own terms after 25-year ride

By Mark Bowman / MLB.com

ATLANTA -- Bobby Cox believes those who consider him to be the most influential man in the long history of the Braves organization, "need to get their head examined."
Once the ever-humble Cox begins experiencing the exile of the retirement lifestyle that awaits him at the conclusion of this season, he might gain a better understanding of what he has truly brought to the City of Atlanta while serving as one of the Braves' primary leaders for the past 25 years.
"I don't think we realize it yet, but his leaving is not only going to affect the Atlanta Braves, but I think all of baseball will take a hit when Bobby Cox retires," Braves Major League consultant Bobby Dews said. "I've watched the reactions of the other teams and heard what the other players and coaches say to me. They are envious that we're beside him every day."
While difficult to fathom, there might once again be another manager who is able lead an organization to 14 consecutive division titles like Cox did with the Braves from 1991-2005. Remaining in the realm of the unthinkable, there might also one day be a manager who exceeds Cox's Major League record of 158 ejections.
But it's almost impossible to believe that anybody else within today's volatile baseball world will ever match the longevity Cox has experienced while spending the past quarter-century serving as either the Braves' general manager or manager.
When Cox became Braves GM at the end of the 1985 season, Brian McCann still hadn't celebrated his second birthday, and a couple of 300-game winners named Maddux and Glavine still hadn't made their Major League debuts.
When Cox began moving away from his administrative role and started his current tenure as the Braves' manager midway through the 1990 season, Jason Heyward still hadn't celebrated his first birthday, and some kid named David Justice was on his way to being named the National League's Rookie of the Year.
"The job security is never there in this game," Cox said. "It's just not there. Invariably, you're going to be fired, no matter what. I beat the odds. The odds of doing something like that are off the charts. It's one of those baseball things -- you just can't predict it."
Well, he didn't completely beat the odds. Ted Turner gave Cox his first Major League managerial job before the start of the 1978 season and then decided four seasons later, after watching the Braves finish no higher than fourth place in the National League West standings, that he needed somebody else leading his club.
Turner was no baseball genius, but the iconic media mogul seemed quite capable of identifying great leaders. When he announced that Cox had been fired at the end of the '81 season, Turner said that the perfect successor would be "somebody like Bobby Cox."
While the eccentric media mogul's statement might not have made sense to many, the belief was shared by Dews -- who had served each of the previous three years on Cox's coaching staff -- and others who had watched Cox point a perennial cellar dweller in the right direction. Joe Torre would reap the benefits the following season while leading the Braves to the 1982 National League West crown.
"If you had been in baseball all your life, you knew what he was going to do eventually," Dews said. "It was just like watching Jason Heyward play in the Minor Leagues. Watching Bobby Cox build himself and the organization, you just knew he was going to be successful."
Eight days after being fired in Atlanta, Cox began a four-year managerial stint in Toronto that would be capped with him leading the Blue Jays to the 1985 American League East crown. Most everything felt perfect in Toronto. He loved the fans, the city and the organization.
In fact, Cox loved everything about his Toronto experience except for the fact that it had left him nearly 1,000 miles from his suburban Atlanta home, where his wife, Pam, was raising their newborn daughter, Skyla.
Because Cox had just guided the Blue Jays to their first postseason berth, Turner and the Braves seemingly had no idea he wanted to return to Atlanta. Thus they hired Chuck Tanner as the club's manager on Oct. 7, 1985.
Less than three weeks later, Cox showed how much he wanted to be near his family by accepting the opportunity to serve as the Braves' general manager. Wearing business attire and talking to civic groups certainly wasn't the role desired by this man, who would much rather wear cleats and bark at umpires until the day he dies.
"Being a GM is like punching a clock," Cox said. "So is baseball in uniform, but it's a little more fun down here. It's a little too serious up there [in the front office]. I took it by the horns and did the best that I could. But there's nothing like the uniform, the dugout and the game itself."
At the time, Cox's selfless decision to walk away from what he had built in Toronto and the role he loved may not have seemed wise. Twenty-five years later, it was a move that proved to be far more influential than anybody could have fathomed at the time.
Had Cox remained in Toronto and continued to enjoy success, there's still a strong possibility he would have encountered one of those inevitable firings and spent these past 25 years, as he said, "in five different places trying to raise a family."
Had Cox not returned to Atlanta to serve as the general manager, he wouldn't have had the chance to plant the seeds and resurrect a Minor League system that proved to be so fruitful by the time he slowly stepped away from his administrative role and began his current managerial tenure with the Braves midway through the 1990 season.
"When Bobby took over as the general manager, everything changed in the Minor League system," said Braves bullpen coach Eddie Perez, who began his professional career in the Atlanta organization in 1987. As a player, you didn't agree with some of the stuff. But eight years later, I said, 'Wow, I'm glad he did that.'
"I'm glad he did a lot of stuff that made me a better baseball player. We were taught how to wear the uniform, how to respect that game, how to do all of that stuff."
Raised by the Dodgers organization that signed him at 18, and enriched by a Yankees organization that provided him a chance to play two years at the big league level and then prove himself as a Minor League manager from 1971-76, Cox chose to attack the sorry state of the Braves' Minor League system by instilling a sense of professionalism and desire to succeed.
"The way he explained it to me was that he wanted every player from the organization, from the lowest rookie-level guy to the superstar in the big leagues, to be proud to be part of the Atlanta Braves," said Dews, who served as a roving Minor League instructor and director of player development during Cox's GM term. "We prepared ourselves for success by treating them like potential big league ballplayers and winners.
"It made a lot of difference. Bobby never preached, 'We're going to play .500 baseball.' He preached, 'We're going to win a World Series.' No matter how bad things got, we were geared for one thing -- to win the World Series. That's what we taught and what we believed. I guess you could say we developed a winning attitude as well as Major League players."
During his tenure as the Braves' GM, Atlanta drafted the likes of Steve Avery and Chipper Jones. They used aging pitcher Doyle Alexander to acquire a kid named John Smoltz from the Tigers near the end of the 1987 season. And they managed to develop both superstars, like Glavine, and gritty prospects, like Mark Lemke, who would personify the attitude of organization that rose from the depths of despair and became a blueprint for success.
Looking back on what was achieved during his tenure as GM, Cox gives all the credit to legendary scout Paul Snyder and guys like Dews, who worked tirelessly to develop talent. But history shows that Snyder and Dews had been with the Braves for a long time before their talents were truly realized under the direction of Cox's leadership.
"I just wanted to win and not step on anybody's feet doing it," Cox said. "I hope I treated everybody as fair as I possibly could in the game of baseball."
With the Minor League system now proving as fruitful as any in the game, Cox would lead the Braves to 14 consecutive division titles, five NL pennants and one World Series title from 1991-2005. This kind of success certainly strengthens job security. But as was evidenced during Torre's final days with the Yankees, it doesn't guarantee it.
Recognizing the potential that existed in Atlanta, John Schuerholz left the Royals at the end of the 1990 season to become the Braves' general manager. For the next 17 years, Schuerholz and Cox would work together as harmoniously as Lou Whitaker and Alan Trammel did while serving as Detroit's double-play tandem.
Schuerholz proved to be a great listener, advisor and leader. As a loyal employee, Cox never attempted to leverage his success to gain greater wealth. In fact, he spent most of his current tenure working with one- or two-year contracts that were signed with the assumption that they'd be renewed when necessary.
"The personality mix worked," Schuerholz said. "We didn't always agree, but we found out how to disagree appropriately and, at the end of it, get the things done that the organization needed."
As Cox prepares to retire, the baseball world finds itself celebrating one of the greatest managerial careers ever constructed. But to recognize him simply as a man who has recorded the fourth-most managerial wins in Major League history would be like recognizing Red Auerbach simply as a man who coached the Boston Celtics to nine NBA titles.
Like Auerbach with the Celtics, Cox served the Braves as a chief architect, five-star general and patriarchal figure.
Hank Aaron might be the most recognizable player to ever wear a Braves uniform, but the 733 home runs he provided the franchise weren't as influential as the direction Cox provided over the past quarter of a century.
The Braves will never be the same without No. 6 showering daily support from their dugout. But as he heads out on his own terms, they can be thankful that things are much different than they were when he returned to Atlanta 25 years ago.
Humble to the bitter end, Cox has left himself opened to be second-guessed yet again by assessing his career by saying, "I got lucky." "No, we're the ones that have been lucky to have had Bobby Cox in our lives for so long," Dews said.

Mark Bowman is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

Booby Cox has been past his prime SINCE THE DAY HE WAS HIRED!

Most OVERRATED Coach/Manager EVER! To use the same words as someone I used to work with - the late Stu Nahan, "Booby Cox could Fuck Up a 1 car funeral"

Notice how the ONLY time Booby won a WS he was matched up against a bigger LUNKHEAD than him - Mike Hargrove. EVERY OTHER TIME Booby was matched up against a BETTER Manager - AND LOST! Booby is like Les(s) Miles - teams win IN SPITE of him - NOT BECAUSE OF HIM!