How old is middle age?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
You hit middle age when you prefer an older woman to a younger girl.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
As you can tell, I haven't thought much about middle age.

(Tongue firmly planted in cheek)

Last edited:

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
You hit middle age when some 20-something year old cutie you just wanna bang the hell out of addresses you as: Mister or Sir

My thought is take your life and cut it into thirds, of young, middle, senior

Now allowing an optimistic life of 90 years

0-30 is youth

30-60 would be middle-aged

60-90 becomes, well let's just old

So you are really middle aged on the day you turn thirty!

MrTop

EOG Master
I never considered I was old till 2 kids ages about 7 or 8 called me from across the street " hey old man do you have the time? " That is when I knew the clock was early 4th quarter. I was in my late 40's at the time. With a lopsided score it will be hard to get OT. I need turnovers.

You hit middle age when some 20-something year old cutie you just wanna bang the hell out of addresses you as: Mister or Sir

IMO, sir is just polite, I would address a much younger man as sir, in a work situation.

I personally hate being addressed as son by anyone not old enough to be my parent, me being 55 makes that like 75.

I Don't like young man either, unless by an obvious elder

My 33 year old daughter hates to be called Ma'am, madam . whatever. She isn't one for makeup and such, but has to accept being middle-aged now

I will leave the math to computer Bob, since he is my daddy and owns me

Still 30 seems like the begining of middle age

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
IMO, sir is just polite, I would address a much younger man as sir, in a work situation.

I personally hate being addressed as son by anyone not old enough to be my parent, me being 55 makes that like 75.

I Don't like young man either, unless by an obvious elder

My 33 year old daughter hates to be called Ma'am, madam . whatever. She isn't one for makeup and such, but has to accept being middle-aged now

For me - just call me by my name. My senior year in HS and freshman year in college (18 and 19 y/o) myself a few friends of the same age coached a youth baseball team of mostly 11-12 year olds. At first they would call us "Mister....." until we told them to stop it and call us by our first names since we were young enough to be their older brother. They finally did and it worked out great. The funny thing was their parents - most of them were 10-15 years older than us and we might normally call them "Mister or Mrs' but since we were coaching their kids we just called them by their first names, too.

There is a reason Disney cast members have only their first names on their badge.

Now if take a more realistic lifespan of 80 or so years, middle age is starting at 28 or so, let the math go-to Bobby

Abundy

EOG Addicted
Life is like a football game. Age 1-20 1 st quarter 21-40 2nd quarter 41-60 3rd quarter 61-80 fourth quarter. We just all hope the game goes to overtime. And our lives

MrTop

EOG Master
I like the over 76.2 going forward, more kids going to the gym than ever and IMO there are less cig. smokers

MrTop

EOG Master
true, but do you think there are more people dying from drugs than cig smokers thru the years ? I thought there were more cig smokers, I could be wrong. I think it is not an opioid problem , I think the problem is the technology because there is no pain meter. The MRI does not show pain. There is not a quick fix. They are working on it but it will take 50-75 years. When a person takes opioids they get use to it then they want more to get out of pain. I asked the doctors they have people of pain meds for 15+years.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Hmmm...

Cigarette smokers die a slow death.

Opioid users die in their teens or 20's, radically effecting life-expectancy numbers.

MrTop

EOG Master
young kids for sure JK. The kids are mixing it with other drugs too. I used opioids for injuries but carefully. They lose their effect after a while then you have to back off and the body rebuilds itself but who knows the damage until game over.

true, but do you think there are more people dying from drugs than cig smokers thru the years ? I thought there were more cig smokers, I could be wrong. I think it is not an opioid problem , I think the problem is the technology because there is no pain meter. The MRI does not show pain. There is not a quick fix. They are working on it but it will take 50-75 years. When a person takes opioids they get use to it then they want more to get out of pain. I asked the doctors they have people of pain meds for 15+years.

Way less people smoke today than say

I like the over 76.2 going forward, more kids going to the gym than ever and IMO there are less cig. smokers

Over is always the favorite when you have already survived the first 30,40,50 or whatever number of years.

Life expectancy at age 65 would be
A good deal higher than 76

Everybody has to die of something

You ain't gonna make it to like age 90 without some physical ailments, that eventually kill you

TEXED

EOG Veteran
My perspective on the age discussion would be:
Young 19-39
Middle age 40-59
Active older 60-Late 70's
Less active older Late 70's +

I like being called Sir---respectful
And by first name---friendly

**Individual experiences may vary.

My perspective on the age discussion would be:
Young 19-39
Middle age 40-59
Active older 60-Late 70's
Less active older Late 70's +

I like being called Sir---respectful
And by first name---friendly

**Individual experiences may vary.

I'd go a tad lower on middle age and maybe expand it a few years,59 and middle aged seems a stretch, double theage of 59 and you ain't making it to 118. 59 is almost a senior citizen, various terms of senior seem to define it either as 60,62,or 65
As to Sir, it is just common usage like have a nice day

One I find offensive ( if I was a woman) is mom directed at an older woman than the speaker, kind of ghetto like baby-mama

Son really pisses me off to, unless you are old enough to be my parent, I can deal with young man

unluckysob

EOG Dedicated
People are living longer than they ever have. Retirement age will soon be 70, 72. I am sure SS must be paying out more than they take in.

I can see why my daughter could object to the term Ma'am, it is not quite the same as sir

Say working in retail using sir is quite appropriate to even a teenage boy, but not so much so to a young girl and
Ma'am usage, Miss is better there, bit but you pass from miss to ma' am at some point in time I, unlike sir

Valuist

EOG Master
I can see why my daughter could object to the term Ma'am, it is not quite the same as sir

Say working in retail using sir is quite appropriate to even a teenage boy, but not so much so to a young girl and
Ma'am usage, Miss is better there, bit but you pass from miss to ma' am at some point in time I, unlike sir

Miss to ma'am is never a smooth transition. Maybe this helps explain the unlikeability of the characters on those housewife shows. Although I think most of those made that transition many years ago.

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR
I think your taking "middle age" a little too literal Doug...... it's not a math equation.

Middle age probably around 45-50 IMO.

For me you're a kid until you turn 30......

Young adult until 45 or so......

Then middle age until 65 or so.

At 65 you're a senior.

yisman

EOG Master
middle age starts at either 40 or 45, IMO.

It's not literally the middle third of your life, especially when you consider that childhood is a non-factor.

Under 14=child, 14-19 teenage years, 20-30 young adult

30-40 undefined

65=senior

I think your taking "middle age" a little too literal Doug...... it's not a math equation.

Middle age probably around 45-50 IMO.

For me you're a kid until you turn 30......

Young adult until 45 or so......

Then middle age until 65 or so.

At 65 you're a senior.

So at one point you have the very narrow range of 45-50 for middle agedness then bump it to 65 !
I think taking the mid-range of life expectancy is a decent starting point you
Pat you have 64 as middle-aged, too old IMO

No problem defining senior, usually 60-65 is the accepted definition, I have even seen 55 but never more than 65

It really is kind of a math question and vanity issue

Let's let GOD, I mean computer Bob rule on this