How to buy stock market insurance

The Seer

EOG Dedicated
If you own as little as $50,000 of stocks that resemble the DOW or S&P you can sell one December DOW or S&P futures contract, Here is how it works with a DOW;

You open up a commodities account and fund it with US Bonds or cash of at least $8000. You sell, meaning to go short, one contract of Dec DOW @ lets say 10,000 on a $5 per point contract. If you are worth more, there are bigger contracts and in other markets.

Good side. If the market goes down, you earn money at $5 (or $10) x DOW point down but your stocks lose value. You take your earning in Dec and sell March again to continue or decide if you want to take your profits and let the markets recover.

Bad side. The market goes up before Dec. You lose money on your short sale of the futures contract but your stocks go up. You then decide if your insurance should be continued or dropped. This is what happens if you buy fire insurance on your home but it does not burn down.

Why would you do this? If you sell your shares and have a capital gain, you will owe taxes. You will no longer get the dividends, If it is important to you, you cannot vote your shares.
Why is this better than just going short one DIA unit? When you are short a real stock like DIA trust, you must pay the dividends that the stocks would have earned. In DIA, this is big.

Why else might you do this?
You may have been watching the market and have seen the DOW hit 10,000 about three weeks ago where you said you would get out but then you did not pull the trigger and are still long. It hit 10,000 yesterday but fell back and you think it has made what is called a "double top" and will fall back again. You may be afraid that the bailed out bankers have used their TARP money to buy stocks, pushing up their value as they buy them from each other, instead of making loans. You may be afraid that the only reason people are investing here is the other countries are just worse.

You may think that all of this red ink is going to be a disaster and the market will fall until it hits the 4000 range. This is my personal prediction but the bankers with all the TARP money may continue to buy and push up the DOW so I do not know exactly where or when this will happen.

You may want to get out of stocks completely or put at least 5% of your money into gold, which has hit a triple top which in market parlance, "Triple tops never hold". Meaning gold will continue to go up.

brucefan

EOG Dedicated
Re: How to buy stock market insurance

There are a lot easier ways to hedge against the market then to open up a leveraged commodities account

The Seer

EOG Dedicated

There are a lot easier ways to hedge against the market then to open up a leveraged commodities account

12:31am Monday morning. The DOW hits 10,004 and E-mini is 1069.
One easy way is to buy a DEC Dow mini "put" with a strike price of 10,000 when the dow hits its recent high of 10/23/2009 H=10068. This is much more like an insurance policy than the above mentioned system. If the DOW fails to fall below 10,000 before the put expires, you lost nothing on your stock market long position holdings but you do lose the entire "insurance" cost of the put. This is very close to an insurance policy.

My broker sent me his Trade Recommendations for Mon. Nov. 9th
1) Sell Dec. Emini S&P at 1077.50, with a 1083.50 stop. Exit 1055. The market has retraced 62% of its drop from the top, and we will allow it room to move close to the 76% retracement at 1081.50. The upward trending channel support from March was broken on the visit down to 1026 last week, and the market is now flirting with this line. We have now crossed back above it, but the initial break is an indicator that it's only a matter of time before this market starts to fall apart.

2) Sell Dec. Crude Oil at 79.10, with a 79.96 stop. Exit 74.05. The $76 resistance we broke out above has now proven as support. Given the dramatic fall on Friday leads me to believe theres more room underneath, and there shouldn't be any siginifact support until $74, which happens to be the mid Sept high, and a 50% retracement of the recent rally. Once 76.50 goes, look out below it should be a quick fall. Additional upside potential in relation to the current price should be supported with slightly higher prices on the ES as well.

3) Buy Dec. Euro on a stop at 1.4977, with a 1.4880 stop. Exit 1.5166. The market is already up 100 pts and my target for a new high should come in prior to us seeing 1.43. 1.5166 is a 24% extension of the range of 1.5060-1.4625. The DX looks like it will test support at 75. 75 on the DX is a 76% retracement of the rally since the March 2008 low of 70.70. Eventually we will test the 70 region on the DX but for the time being, I think we may just break 75 to trigger stops and get everyone thinking about the continued downside, when in reality we should start to find support nearterm.

In the long run, well funded accounts that sell the puts and calls make the money.

I know of no other way to hedge an account.

Is this the easier way
to hedge against the market
you mensioned? If not, please tell us.

The Seer

EOG Dedicated
DOW posts double top at 1077

DOW posts double top at 1077

6:06am Monday
My S&P short hit at 1077. This will either cost me $300 or be the start of a multi thousand dollar trade. Currently 1076.00 at 6:41am

brucefan

EOG Dedicated

Buying and selling puts and calls, shorting stocks, buying inverse leveraged ETFS

Are you buying leveraged futures contracts or just trading equity options?

The Seer

EOG Dedicated

Buying and selling puts and calls, shorting stocks, buying inverse leveraged ETFS
Are you buying leveraged futures contracts or just trading equity options?

To see the chart, see chart here http://www.tfc-charts.com/menu.html click on commodities charts, then S&P.
The symbols are short (1) ES9Z which some may write ESZ9 Which is a $50 per point S&P commodities contract. These are in the leveraged futures contracts type of account. The 9:09am last trade was 1080.75 so it looks like I was early to the trade and will be stopped out at 1083.50 for a loss, if that is hit for a high.

The Seer

EOG Dedicated

I am stopped out when my buy stop is triggered..... BUY 1 DECEMBER 2009 E-MINI S&P 500 1083.50 STOP

Morning morning QBs can say "Why did you not just go long and buy two contracts at last night's price of 1069 when you woke up for the 11pm opening, wait for the entry price of 1077.50, sell three contracts, so then you are short the one contract with 17 points of OPM* and set your protective stop at 1094?

Can anyone answer his one?

*OPM=Other People's Money