I went to the doctor because I had...

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
...undesirable pain in my left foot out or nowhere.

Suddenly.

Didn't twist it or injure it.

I have gout. He says it's from the drinking.

I have to watch what I put in my body.

I'm not even 40 yet, but almost.

I said does gambling have to do with anything?

He said I'm sure the stress doesn't help.

Lol.

My father late in life had it.

It was painful, the flare-up.

Anybody deal with this or know anybody that has it?

Last edited by a moderator:

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
red meat and choclate are also bad for it. stop drinking, its stupid
Starches also, like potatoes and beer.

My father had it, it was excruciating pain on some days. He was a mechanic, I know he was in pain some days. He had to quit drinking.

The good news is it’s controllable thru diet and aspirin or anti-inflammatory drugs.

E$

EOG Dedicated
I am 44, I quit drinking about 5 years ago (after drinking pretty much every day for 20 years) and feel better than I did in my 20’s and 30’s

mr merlin

EOG Master
It's not necessarally from drinking , google the other causes, I've never had it but know several people that do, there are medications with immediate effect as well as other long term medications if bouts are frequent. From what I've heard though it is almost crippling pain, best of luck.

DotPark

EOG Addicted
Started getting gout at 28 and I'm 49 now. Was prescribed allopurinol to take everyday to prevent flare ups. I'm a "thick mick" and didn't care so I continued reckless, self destructive lifestyle. I got it from drinking and diet. Work hard, play harder lifestyle.

Would take anti inflammatory endomethacin when I'd get flares. Extremely painful in the knee and elbow. Old timer I know once suffered from full body flare ups, crazy. He advised me years ago to do what he does and drink Dewars scotch so I did.
Stopped drinking in 2018 but still at risk for flares. Red meat, mushrooms, Chinese food, salad dressing, creamy sauces etc.... Called "Rich Mans" disease for rich, creamy sauces. Uric acid that crystallize in the blood in joints. It is a form of arthritis.

Never forget vacation in Chicago for Cubs games. Drink in the am, during game, drink at night, repeat. After 5 straight days I had gout in both feet and could barely walk. I was a mess on plane back to Boston. HORRIBLE!

Recall David Wells used to suffer from it and would get scratched from starts. His body frame certainly fit the profile.

Anyway, got a flare up last month from ???? and have been taking my allopurinol ever since. No painful flare ups since.

Try the scotch advice. Lol

KevinStott11

EOG Veteran
I have had this. Gout. Railbird is right. Too much meat-eating. Hard to totally get rid of. I think Caroline Betts had similar query years ago in the Twitter.

Better to know it's gout than think it's a torn Achilles' or flat foot or serious structural problem.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Started getting gout at 28 and I'm 49 now. Was prescribed allopurinol to take everyday to prevent flare ups. I'm a "thick mick" and didn't care so I continued reckless, self destructive lifestyle. I got it from drinking and diet. Work hard, play harder lifestyle.

Would take anti inflammatory endomethacin when I'd get flares. Extremely painful in the knee and elbow. Old timer I know once suffered from full body flare ups, crazy. He advised me years ago to do what he does and drink Dewars scotch so I did.
Stopped drinking in 2018 but still at risk for flares. Red meat, mushrooms, Chinese food, salad dressing, creamy sauces etc.... Called "Rich Mans" disease for rich, creamy sauces. Uric acid that crystallize in the blood in joints. It is a form of arthritis.

Never forget vacation in Chicago for Cubs games. Drink in the am, during game, drink at night, repeat. After 5 straight days I had gout in both feet and could barely walk. I was a mess on plane back to Boston. HORRIBLE!

Recall David Wells used to suffer from it and would get scratched from starts. His body frame certainly fit the profile.

Anyway, got a flare up last month from ???? and have been taking my allopurinol ever since. No painful flare ups since.

Try the scotch advice. Lol
My mom took allopurinal for decades, she never drank either, not much red meat , skinny little lady, it happens.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
I just turned 50 last November. I am now in the hospital almost a week. A little more than over a week ago, I felt my big right toe in grave pain. I look under it, and while it felt flat like a deflated tire, I see a 2" hole opened up underneath it with piss and blood coming out of it. I quickly wrap it with gauze and treat it with Neosporin and peroxide, planning to visit my podiatrist later that evening.
I head out to buy some groceries, and as I am leaving the deli line, I get this major dizzy spell that knocks me face forward against the glass counter, knocking me with so much force backwards, landing on my already bad back. Knowing I never lost consciousness and it was really cold out, I get up under my own power and walk 4 blocks home without issues.
I spend about 2 hours in podiatry and he sends me to the ER. I have an osteo condition in my toe that I could either go one of 2 routes. Either receive 6-8 weeks of outpatient IV, and then have it re-evaluated, but also risk other major consequences including kidney infection and partial paralysis, or have it amputated, walking with a special boot which was the route I chose.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
It's taken me awhile to look at it and get used to it up to this point as they change the wrapping and dressing, but I so far have healed well since the surgery on Thursday as this was determined based on the results of the MRI I underwent. Doctors are wrapping it up and closing the hole and I will probably be out of here Monday or Tuesday. I am not a smoker or drinker but am diabetic as this episode has really given me a further warning that I need to keep my blood sugar under control with hopefully no further complications out of my control to follow.

DotPark

EOG Addicted
Sorry to hear about what have and are going thru. Had spinal fusion surgery in Nov.
I'm diabetic too and just lost 20lbs to get my A1C under 6.

A while back had a couple of nights where I was woken up by a ice-pick jabbed into the top of one foot type of pain.

Read up on it. Found out that the symptom was consistent with gout and that turkey was one of many dietary factors that can contribute to the I believe it was uric acid buildup that produces the condition known as gout.

I was eating a lot of turkey sandwiches at that time.

Eliminated those for a while and have moderated eating them since then.

Symptom resolved quickly and hasn't come back.

Many conditions respond to a little self-education and conservative measures like dietary or other changes.

Sure, "it always could be something worse, that a doctor might have caught, if you had only gone to one sooner" but something's gonna get ya' eventually, and there's no guarantee that a doctor will make the proper diagnosis (or not screw you up worse) even if you go to one.

For me, I would rather try something conservative like a dietary change. Cutting back on turkey sandwiches has few known adverse side-effects. Most prescription medications do.

And you can continue drinking, "carousing," and sports betting.

As a basically libertarian, I believe in few government prohibitions on individual behavior, short of the few obvious things like murder, child molestation, etc. The loss of individual freedom by such government control over our lives is far worse than whatever the government control supposedly cures. You typically don't get freedom back, just less and less of it as the excuses for more government control (from both ends of the political spectrum) mount up.

So maybe eat less turkey sandwiches and have a good time (well, short of murder, etc.).

As a general matter, for most things, when I have a symptom or condition, I start thinking of what I've been doing differently recently that might be causing or contributing to the symptom or condition.

Amazing how many times that's led to a resolution of the issue.

Like realizing that I had been eating too many Subway turkey sandwiches because I'd been on an extended combined work/handicapping run and that was the most convenient thing to eat on the fly.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Good points, Squarepants.

I also serve as my own doctor.

Haha.

Thank goodness for WebMD.com.

A lot of medical care is simply common sense.

We kill ourselves with what we consume.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Gambling and drinking do not mix.

It's okay when the bet buys the drink.

But it's fatal when the drink buys the bet.

Reactions: E$

unluckysob

EOG Dedicated
Gout is caused by too much uric acid in the blood. I`ve had flare ups in big toe, knee, elbow. I seem to get it every spring. Gout Last 3, 4 weeks. Drink a lot of water and pee a lot.