Injured McNabb says he'll play - Line is OTB

Injured McNabb says he'll play

Thursday, September 15, 2005
By MARK ECKEL
Staff Writer -
NJ.com

PHILADELPHIA - While Eagles head coach Andy Reid hemmed, hawed, and said "we'll see " a few times about who his quarterback would be this week if Donovan McNabb cannot play against San Francisco, the franchise quarterback said don't worry.

"I will be in the game Sunday," McNabb, who did not practice yesterday, said.

McNabb is officially listed as questionable for Sunday's Lincoln Financial Field opener against the 49ers after suffering a bruised chest in Monday night's 14-10 loss to Atlanta.

"I'm in the process of getting through the bumps and bruises," McNabb said. "Nothing will stop me from being on the field Sunday. I love playing football and I would never say I can't play."

McNabb was injured on the second series of the game when he was sandwiched by Atlanta defensive end Brady Smith and defensive tackle Chad Lavalais on a throw that was intercepted by DeAngelo Hall. The league is believed to be looking into whether the hit was legal. No flag was thrown on the play.

He needed help to get off the field and backup quarterback Koy Detmer actually started to trot onto the field for the Eagles' third series. But during a television break, McNabb came back and Detmer left. He didn't miss a snap the rest of the game, although he admitted he was less than 100 percent.

"There's no structural damage," Reid said after getting the results of McNabb's MRI and CT-scan. "It's a bruise. It's just a matter of it calming down there."

Yesterday, McNabb rested and went through treatment with the team's training staff. Today, he may do the same. But as long as he can practice tomorrow, he'll definitely play Sunday.

"We'd like to see him practice, if possible," Reid said. "But if he doesn't practice but can play (Sunday), he's our starting quarterback. We're not going to put him out there if he's hurt."

McNabb, asked who would make that decision, said he would.

"I think I will have the upper hand there," he said. "I just have to show him I can practice. They say you can't make the club in the tub. I have to get out of the tub."

During yesterday's practice, which was closed to the media, Detmer and No. 3 quarterback Mike McMahon shared reps with the No. 1 offense.

"We'll see how that plays out during the week," Reid said of his two backup quarterbacks. "I decided that's the way we'll do it."

Detmer was No. 2 Monday night and is the holder for kicker David Akers. McMahon has been No. 3. There are thoughts, however, that the former Rutgers quarterback would get the nod, and Detmer would remain No. 2 and the holder.

While Reid, of course, was noncommittal, 49ers head coach Mike Nolan was confident his team would see McNabb.

"We're preparing for Donovan because that's the smart thing to do," Nolan said on a conference call. "But we will also prepare for the alternative - and we have to guess what that will be. It's our belief Donovan will play. But they're a good team whether he plays or not."

McNabb said he would go back to wearing a flak jacket if he has to in order to play Sunday. He wore one his first four years in the league, but got away from it the past two. He was not wearing one Monday night when he was injured.

"Teams want all of their quarterbacks to wear one," McNabb said. "They want some sort of protection. I never wore one in college, but I did when I got here."

McNabb said he got away from the jacket because it was a bit cumbersome and took away some of his mobility. The injury also seemed to leave him less mobile Monday night.

"I'm not sure about that," he said. "I don't know. During a game like that, you don't think about being in pain or being hurt. You're just trying to win the game."

McNabb felt very sore Tuesday, the players' day off. Yesterday, he said he was feeling better.

"I'll be fine," McNabb said. "Unless I can't walk, I'll be playing Sunday."

The last time McNabb missed a start due to injury was when he suffered a broken ankle in 2002.

-- -- --

Safety Brian Dawkins has a slight ankle sprain, but went through the team's walk-through and practiced on a limited basis. He is expected to play Sunday ... According to a report, middle linebacker Jeremiah Trotter will be fined $10,000 for being ejected before the start of Monday night's game. Trotter could appeal the fine to the Commissioner's office ... Reid said that newly-signed running back Lamar Gordon dressed in place of rookie Ryan Moats because he wanted to use Gordon in short-yardage and goal-line packages.

Pick of the week:
Frisco +13.5... I can see some 14 (2 TDs) out there, but I doubt it will last long or that many places will get to lay14...

Then again, the public seems to be all over the Eagles, and Philly and its surroundings are one of the biggest and most loyal betting markets in the US... so it might happen that the Eagles are backed all the way thru kick-off... sometimes squares will make it sweet like that...

Either way, I believe Frisco is a LIVE DOG if I ever saw one. Considering all the internal struggles withing the Eagles as a team, now an injured McNabb and a possible weakened defense, I'm even considering pulling a drunkguy this week and grind 1 or 2 units on the ML on Frisco...

Pinny took the game off the board... the ML was sitting on fav -870... it had opened @ -750... and now it's gone...

Let's see what the adjusted number is...

Any opinions?

He'll play alright.. I just don't think they'll beat Frisco by 2 TDs... no way... I'm actually looking for Philly to lose outright...

dogball

EOG Master
walk- I didnt know you were still paying attention to this racket. Walk- last year i was in vegas and you gave me sf +9 vs ny Jets and they covered easily and almost won. YOu feel the same way here ?

Hey dogball, my bruddah... some things change really alowly, you know I love to shoot some numbers off the hip for NFL... I feel you will have a lot of value on Frisco if you can get the line... then again is more a gut felling than anything else...:+waving-5