Inside the WTO Ruling by THE SHRINK

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar
September 6, 2005
by The Shrink (Ken Weitzner)

The World Trade Organization (WTO) is the only global international organization dealing with the rules of trade between nations. At its heart are the WTO agreements, negotiated and signed by the bulk of the world's trading nations and ratified in their parliaments. The goal is to help producers of goods and services, exporters, and importers conduct their business.

Trying to understand the World Trade Organization's (WTO) most recent ruling in favor of Antigua vs. the United States requires a Law degree for most. Many claim that Antigua won, but others in the American camp are also claiming victory. The latest WTO report, issued on April 7, upheld the lower Panel's ruling of last November, on appeal by the U.S. The Panel had found that a number of United States' federal and state laws violated its commitments to Antigua under the WTO's General Agreement on Trade in Services (the "GATS"); specifically the Wire Act, the Travel Act and the Illegal Gambling Business Act. Basically, the WTO demanded that the United States get with the program. They told the United States that Antigua had every legal right to provide sports betting and other betting services to American citizens...

Read more here...

http://www.eog.com/news/index.aspx?id=549

Thanks Dante and Sam...

The WTO ruling means more than most people realize.

Many spins have been put on it, so I gathered just the facts and interpreted what REALLY happened...

I wish that my Friend, the late Kenny Hense, were still around...

I miss him a lot...

THE SHRINK

Would be cool if the US legalizes online sportsbetting. Seems weird to me that the lottery is acceptable . Howmany people actually win on the lottery? .0001% or so. What a joke

Hopefully someday we will be able to go into the local convienent mart and put in a parlay. Just as people do with the lottery. But then again, im only dreamin' it seems like.