Is James Harden the Best Offensive Threat in NBA History?

Heim

EOG Master
Not a fan. He's not exceptionally quick or able to jump out of the arena but plays angles so well getting his shot off that he's truly unstoppable.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Not a two-way player so I cannot appreciate Harden as much as others do.

That step-back "3" though is ridiculous.

Too big for little guys and too crafty for big guys.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Credit Harden for improving his offensive game every season.

OKC had three future Hall-of-Famers on the same team.

MrTop

EOG Master
probably the best , but with what rules ? years ago they use to have hand / arm checking no more. The turn around jumper / sky hook not needed . Now in your face jumpers / take one step back jumpers. Get rid of the 3 pt line or raise the rim. Too much scoring

without looking at stats :

harden
curry
iceman spurs

Heim

EOG Master
Wilt was 7' 1" and agile.....nobody could match his physical prowess. He had a finger roll and fall away bank shot. That's it. His numbers
are impressive but mostly from size. And I was a fan.

Heim

EOG Master
probably the best , but with what rules ? years ago they use to have hand / arm checking no more. The turn around jumper / sky hook not needed . Now in your face jumpers / take one step back jumpers. Get rid of the 3 pt line or raise the rim. Too much scoring

without looking at stats :

harden
curry
iceman spurs

I would put Alcindor #2. The sky hook imo was the most impressive/unstoppable shot ever.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Back to Harden, in last night's game against the Bucks, Harden hit his first "3" of the game against Milwaukee defender George Hill.

The Bucks took a timeout and the cameras zoomed in on Harden.

Reading lips, you could tell Harden was saying to his teammates while shaking his head no, "He can't guard me."

Harden's next three shots from beyond the arc with Hill guarding him also went in.

Must be an incredible feeling.

I love it when the best players show incredible confidence.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I would put Alcindor #2. The sky hook imo was the most impressive/unstoppable shot ever.

I have a friend who swears Bill Russell was better than both Chamberlain and Jabbar.

Round-and-round we go.

Last edited:

Sol Diablo

House of Heat
His numbers
are impressive but mostly from size.

So you discount his size? You asked about the best offensive threat in history. Size shouldn't be a strike against him.

Wilt and Kareem's size certainly played into their dominance.

If you rephrase to best offensive skills then ok.

kane

EOG master
A discussion about the best offensive threat and Jordan's name hasn't been mentioned, hmm

MrTop

EOG Master

when bucks Alcindor came in the league & the early years of lakers ...agree. lakers were loaded later did not need him as much. Quite a few years nobody could block the hook. .. I remember end of playing days Magic played center in the finals when kareem was hurt and won it for the lakers.

Big advantage you are probably older & living on west coast was nice seeing jabbar / Walton … there was no NBA internet back then... I had the knicks with frazier & monroe LOL

Last edited:

MrTop

EOG Master
A discussion about the best offensive threat and Jordan's name hasn't been mentioned, hmm

Jordan close range deadly .& dunker./ big time scorer played under tougher rules..& nobody else could score on bulls so he had to do it. curry & harden better shooter long distance than Jordan ever was. Remember Jordan in finals hit 3 in a row could not believe he hit it with that look he gave. Curry & harden do that in their sleep.

TheGuesser

EOG Dedicated
Wilt was 7' 1" and agile.....nobody could match his physical prowess. He had a finger roll and fall away bank shot. That's it. His numbers
are impressive but mostly from size. And I was a fan.
He outscored the #2 guy in the league by 19 PPG. You can only consider a guy against his peers. There is no offensive threat in the NBA that even compared to Wilt, if he wanted to just focus on scoring points.

MrTop

EOG Master
wilt played against a bunch of skinny white guys who could not jump .. JK brings up bob cousey dribbling with one hand up the court. Solid evidence.

brown was tiny , could never make it today.. Players much bigger.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
No. Harden biggest fraud in NBA history. Has people set up to be beaten, doesn’t care about the team, doesn’t care about anybody other than himself. He is utilizing the nba’s current rules to his maximum benefit, This is the same guy who quit against Spurs C team in the playoffs years back.

With that said I haven’t gambled in forever it seems so I’m not informed on much. I am getting better though, I fractured my foot on a slip. I cried like a baby.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Get healthy, Pro.

No doubt about Harden taking advantage of NBA's current rules to his maximum benefit.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
He outscored the #2 guy in the league by 19 PPG. You can only consider a guy against his peers. There is no offensive threat in the NBA that even compared to Wilt, if he wanted to just focus on scoring points.

Solid way to compare greats from different eras.

How much better were they than the second-best guy/team?

Valuist

EOG Master
Jordan close range deadly .& dunker./ big time scorer played under tougher rules..& nobody else could score on bulls so he had to do it. curry & harden better shooter long distance than Jordan ever was. Remember Jordan in finals hit 3 in a row could not believe he hit it with that look he gave. Curry & harden do that in their sleep.

Nobody else could score? Ever hear of Scottie Pippen?

MrTop

EOG Master
Nobody else could score? Ever hear of Scottie Pippen?

20 point .slasher never won a scoring title. .not close. … not a great shooter. .never was ..not a curry, harden , gervin or Alcindor ... when Jordan left he could only go to playoffs and bounced out. Jackson gave the ball to kucok and scottie takes a fit and sits. Pippen a great def. player but not a offensive threat as the guys I said.

Valuist

EOG Master
They were one Hue Hollins crappy call away from the NBA Finals the first year Jordan was away. No, Pippen never won a scoring title. He would score 20 a game while being a monster on defense. What Kawhi is today, Scottie Pippen was 25 years ago.

MrTop

EOG Master
but the thread is best offensive threat. Not overall player. Pippen & kawhi are not in the same group as the guys in the past when it comes to only offense. IMO