Is sports getting better or getting worse?

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!
The better part of sports is the athletes are incredible, way better, bigger, faster and stronger in all sports than when we were kids. The skill level is obviously, at an all time high.

Other than the freakish skill levels, i'm not sure what is 'better' about sports. It seems like the players are more than ever just worried about individual stats, we see these players in all sports making ridiculous amounts of money and then you see a guy like DeSean Jackson get a 50 yard catch nullified because he threw the ball into the face of a coach on the other team. This shit NEVER happened decades ago, now, its commonplace. THIS behavior doesnt make sports any better, it makes it worse.

Sports is a BILLION dollar business and you have a guy like Norv Turner in CHARGE of a team worth hundreds of millions in a BILLION dollar business and he doesnt even know the rules. He's calling a time out instead of just challenging the play. He didnt realize that if you challenge, its as good as a time out and if you lose the challenge, you only lose 1 time out. How is this possible? How is a guy THIS DUMB running a 1/32nd of a BILLION dollar company? If you sat me down and explained this to me in slow, short sentences, i would still not have any idea what you were talking about.

The passion. It just doesnt seem like the PASSION is there anymore. Most of the passion is fake passion. Sure, you had some real passion in Milwaukee this year surrounding the baseball team, but that's only because that team hadnt won anything ever. Those people acted like they were never there before (because they werent) so, the excitement surrounding the Brewers was really cool to see. But, most teams passion is just fake passion, because i believe that people care less about the games and the teams. Maybe it has to do with the jealousy that these athletes are all living in mansions to play a 'kids game' .

Would sports still exist if players made 50 or 100k per year? Would sports be as good if the top salary was only 100k?

I think if fans just stopped going to the games, the salaries would have to come down, which would mean the ticket prices would have to come down. Shit, you have freaking SPORTSCASTERS making millions of dollars just to TALK about sports. What does Mike and Mike make? What does Dan Patrick make? What does Colin Cowherd make? All these guys are just sitting on their duffs talking about sports and making more money than doctors and brain surgeons...its assinine.

Now, you have this NBA strike, a bunch of people who are 'distancing' themselves from real life and reality, a group of spoiled brats splitting up billions of dollars fighting over all of it, i think that type of stuff alienates the fans. Back in the day, you would feel like you were part of the team, now, its just a bunch of 'hired guns' who have zero loyalty at all.

I was watching a hockey game the other day and Michael Handzus was playing for the Sharks. THE SHARKS. He was on the Kings for a few years and now he's playing for the rival? Really? When i see that i get really mad that i rooted for this guy. I get mad at myself for yelling "ZEUSSSSSSS" when he did something good on the Staples Center ice. If i had known what was in this guy's heart, i wouldnt have rooted for him. And, its not just Handzus, there are plenty of athletes who would jump to the rival team in a heartbeat. Look what Johnny Damon did to the Red Sox. Look what the Red Sox did to Damon? Its crazy.

When i see players and teams having no loyalty, it makes me think "why do fans have loyalty if the players and teams don't have it?"

Integrity

EOG Master
Re: Is sports getting better or getting worse?

It's constantly adapting/evolving, so hard to say.

I'll side with the 'getting better' aspect though as fans, while suckers, are also becoming more and more knowledgeable about the game.

Plus, these games are showcased as big events, which in its own right, makes sports better from an 'experience' feel.

But, you're primarily talking about the competitive aspect, which I think everyone will agree, has taken a hit over the years. All the $$$ and fraternizing does play a role in making people not as hungry.

Interesting question, FK 12io4j2w90

If God came down one day and said the top salary for a pro player in any sport is $50,000, it would still be the best deal that 90% of these ath-uh-letes could find in the real world.

truthseeker

EOG Addicted

Worse, the older I get the less interested I am. I think part of that is that I began treating them like meat and started betting on them. On the other hand, it is quite obvious that American Football is the most overrated sport going. Games are pure boring to me at this point. MLB is so crooked that I can not fully respect it. The best era of baseball in my life is one that was all about steroids. I will say this, if basketball players had ever disrespected there game like baseball players had they would never recover. Basketball is the best sport but only the NBA and good international teams. College basketball sucks. Yes, my love affair is over for sports and the big reason is that the NFL, and American football in general and the MLB are either not good or I can't respect the politics and the support a crooked sport like baseball gets.

Worse, the older I get the less interested I am. I think part of that is that I began treating them like meat and started betting on them. On the other hand, it is quite obvious that American Football is the most overrated sport going. Games are pure boring to me at this point. MLB is so crooked that I can not fully respect it. The best era of baseball in my life is one that was all about steroids. I will say this, if basketball players had ever disrespected there game like baseball players had they would never recover. Basketball is the best sport but only the NBA and good international teams. College basketball sucks. Yes, my love affair is over for sports and the big reason is that the NFL, and American football in general and the MLB are either not good or I can't respect the politics and the support a crooked sport like baseball gets.

LOL. Reading this clump, you just have to sigh. Could EOG institute Entrance Requirements?

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master

Flamingo Kid.

I do understand what you are saying about players being different now but don't you think that the coverage has increased to the point where we simply see more bad behavior more often? Don't forget that Woody Hayes punched a player during a game.

There has forever been players like Desean Jackson. I will NEVER dis someone for the amount of money they can earn. I don't care if its Mike the Situation earning $5,000,000/year or Pauly D making $40k to DJ for 3 hours at a club.

There isn't a "right amount of money" that someone should earn but rather what can you convince someone to pay you when you aren't really worth that much.

railbird

EOG Master

PED's, masking agents, and training methods are getting better. Fundamentals are getting worse.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Flamingo Kid.

I do understand what you are saying about players being different now but don't you think that the coverage has increased to the point where we simply see more bad behavior more often? Don't forget that Woody Hayes punched a player during a game.

There has forever been players like Desean Jackson. I will NEVER dis someone for the amount of money they can earn. I don't care if its Mike the Situation earning $5,000,000/year or Pauly D making $40k to DJ for 3 hours at a club.

There isn't a "right amount of money" that someone should earn but rather what can you convince someone to pay you when you aren't really worth that much.

I think if you can get the money, you get it. The problem is that because of the high amounts of money these players are making, everything else goes in the toilet and it becomes about them and how much they can make. If the salaries were 50k (like Jeff suggests) most of these athletic contests would still have amazing players fighting for the chance to be an NFL superstar who makes 50k and gets to play a sport for a living.

If god came down one day (as Jeff suggests) and said the most you could make is 50k, do you guys think that the sports would take such a hit that it wouldnt even be worth it to watch? remember that there are millions of kids out there who are just 'jock material' they arent going to send a man to the moon, all they could do is play sports....50k for them would be an amazing salary for a guy who has no change to graduate college.

I think the players would still be really good....and, at 50k, they would be able to pass the savings onto the consumer. (not asking that consumer to pay 300 dollars for a nosebleed seat to a Lakers regular season game)

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

It's constantly adapting/evolving, so hard to say.

I'll side with the 'getting better' aspect though as fans, while suckers, are also becoming more and more knowledgeable about the game.

Plus, these games are showcased as big events, which in its own right, makes sports better from an 'experience' feel.

But, you're primarily talking about the competitive aspect, which I think everyone will agree, has taken a hit over the years. All the $$$ and fraternizing does play a role in making people not as hungry.

Interesting question, FK 12io4j2w90

It doesnt make me warm and fuzzy to see Derek Jeter slap Kevin Youkilis on the ass when Kevin just hit a double. I know Kevin and Derek are friends but can't you take the ass massage and wait till its out of public view? Geez.

Integrity

EOG Master

It doesnt make me warm and fuzzy to see Derek Jeter slap Kevin Youkilis on the ass when Kevin just hit a double. I know Kevin and Derek are friends but can't you take the ass massage and wait till its out of public view? Geez.

Yea, seriously

Plus, Derek has Minka's ass to massage :LMAO

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Derek wants to marry Alex, i guess Minka didnt make the cut. :LMAO

Integrity

EOG Master

LOL those 2 were made for each other....cat-fighting and all :LMAO