Israel Prodding U.S. To Attack Iran

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated
CBS) <!-- sphereit start -->Joint Chiefs Chairman Admiral Mike Mullen leaves Tuesday night on an overseas trip that will take him to Israel, reports CBS News national security correspondent David Martin. The trip has been scheduled for some time but U.S. officials say it comes just as the Israelis are mounting a full court press to get the Bush administration to strike Iran's nuclear complex.

CBS consultant Michael Oren says Israel doesn't want to wait for a new administration.

"The Israelis have been assured by the Bush administration that the Bush administration will not allow Iran to nuclearize," Oren said. "Israelis are uncertain about what would be the policies of the next administration vis-?-vis Iran."

Israel's message is simple: If you don't, we will. Israel held a dress rehearsal for a strike earlier this month, but military analysts say Israel can not do it alone.

"Keep in mind that Israel does not have strategic bombers," Oren said. "The Israeli Air Force is not the American Air Force. Israel can not eliminate Iran's nuclear program."

The U.S. with its stealth bombers and cruise missiles has a much greater capability. Vice President Cheney is said to favor a strike, but both Mullen and Defense Secretary Gates are opposed to an attack which could touch off a third war in the region.

U.S. intelligence estimates Iran won't be able to build a weapon until sometime early in the next decade. But Israel is operating on a much shorter timetable.

"The Iranians, according to Israeli security sources, will have an operable nuclear weapon by 2009. That's not a very long time," Oren said.

For now, the Bush administration is counting on new economic sanctions which took effect Tuesday to persuade Iran to give up its nuclear program. But nobody's counting on it.

<!-- sphereit end -->

HotShotHarvey

EOG Veteran
Re: Israel Prodding U.S. To Attack Iran

Who cares who gets the job done??? Israel could do a better job than America taking out this facility-it's just a re-run of 1981, when Israel took out Iraq's nuclear facility!!! Let Israel so it.....they'll get it done correctly!!

mr merlin

EOG Master

I agree that we should let the israeli's do it, then when iran gets all lathered up and tries to either attack israel or blames us for aiding them, we should attack iran for daring to smear our good name.

HotShotHarvey

EOG Veteran

....Not attacking the Iranian nuke site by the Israelis is only putting off a confrontation between these 2 nations at a time when Iran has Nukes!! Their leader says he will annihilate Israel-while most of the world would be thrilled, I doubt that's the outcome Israeli Jews are looking for!!!Again, America's job here is to stay out of Israel's way, because the Israelis will get the job done! And they're not worried about the US economy as much as they are of surviving!!!

Israel 'Will Attack Iran'
Posted by Lew Rockwell at 02:44 PM

Israel will do so after the US election but before the inauguration. Or so says neocon thug John Bolton. And shouldn't he be in the first plane?

In fact, while that timing may be right, if the attack occurs, I think it will be Bush doing the killing.

UPDATE from John Margelewski: ur-neocon-jr. Bill Kristol says Bush will do it too, if neocon McCain is defeated (YouTube).

Israel 'will attack Iran' before new US president sworn in, John Bolton predicts
John Bolton, the former American ambassador to the United Nations, has predicted that Israel could attack Iran after the November presidential election but before George W Bush's successor is sworn in.
By Toby Harnden in Washington
Last Updated: 9:50AM BST 24/06/2008

The Arab world would be "pleased" by Israeli strikes against Iranian nuclear facilities, he said in an interview with The Daily Telegraph.

"It [the reaction] will be positive privately. I think there'll be public denunciations but no action," he said.

Mr Bolton, an unflinching hawk who proposes military action to stop Iran developing nuclear weapons, bemoaned what he sees as a lack of will by the Bush administration to itself contemplate military strikes.

"It's clear that the administration has essentially given up that possibility," he said. "I don't think it's serious any more. If you had asked me a year ago I would have said I thought it was a real possibility. I just don't think it's in the cards."

Israel, however, still had a determination to prevent a nuclear Iran, he argued. The "optimal window" for strikes would be between the November 4 election and the inauguration on January 20, 2009.

"The Israelis have one eye on the calendar because of the pace at which the Iranians are proceeding both to develop their nuclear weapons capability and to do things like increase their defences by buying new Russian anti-aircraft systems and further harden the nuclear installations .

"They're also obviously looking at the American election calendar. My judgement is they would not want to do anything before our election because there's no telling what impact it could have on the election."

But waiting for either Barack Obama, the Democratic candidate, or his Republican opponent John McCain to be installed in the White House could preclude military action happening for the next four years or at least delay it.

"An Obama victory would rule out military action by the Israelis because they would fear the consequences given the approach Obama has taken to foreign policy," said Mr Bolton, who was Mr Bush's ambassador to the UN from 2005 to 2006.

"With McCain they might still be looking at a delay. Given that time is on Iran's side, I think the argument for military action is sooner rather than later absent some other development."

The Iran policy of Mr McCain, whom Mr Bolton supports, was "much more realistic than the Bush administration' s stance".

Mr Obama has said he will open high-level talks with Iran "without preconditions" while Mr McCain views attacking Iran as a lesser evil than allowing Iran to become a nuclear power.

William Kristol, a prominent neo-conservative, told Fox News on Sunday that an Obama victory could prompt Mr Bush to launch attacks against Iran. "If the president thought John McCain was going to be the next president, he would think it more appropriate to let the next president make that decision than do it on his way out," he said.

Last week, Israeli jets carried out a long-range exercise over the Mediterranean that American intelligence officials concluded was practice for air strikes against Iran. Mohammad Ali Hosseini, spokesman for the Iranian foreign ministry, said this was an act of "psychological warfare" that would be futile.

"They do not have the capacity to threaten the Islamic Republic of Iran. They [Israel] have a number of domestic crises and they want to extrapolate it to cover others. Sometimes they come up with these empty slogans."

He added that Tehran would deliver a "devastating" response to any attack.

On Friday, Mohamed ElBaradei, head of the UN International Atomic Energy Agency, said military action against Iran would turn the Middle East into a "fireball" and accelerate Iran's nuclear programme.

Mr Bolton, however, dismissed such sentiments as scaremongering. "The key point would be for the Israelis to break Iran's control over the nuclear fuel cycle and that could be accomplished for example by destroying the uranium conversion facility at Esfahan or the uranium enrichment facility at Natanz.

"That doesn't end the problem but it buys time during which a more permanent solution might be found.... How long? That would be hard to say. Depends on the extent of the destruction."

http://www.telegrap h.co.uk/news/ worldnews/ middleeast/ israel/2182070/ Israel-'will- attack-Iran' -before-new- US-president- sworn-in, -John-Bolton- predicts. html

HotShotHarvey

EOG Veteran

JOHN BOLTON HAS NO FU*KING CREDIBILITY! HE HAS BEEN WRONG EVERY INCH OF THE WAY SINCE 9-11!! AND HIS MUSTACHE BLOWS!!!

HotShotHarvey

EOG Veteran

Road Dog....can't you find someone with ANY cred on foreign affairs??? This scumbag makes you look bad!! I would expect tar-turd or Munchy to use this fraud as a trusted source of reality!!!

I think Dawg is pointing out that Bolton is stating this; not that it is fact. Bolton's opinion on this matter is relevant because he's part of the current regime's sycophantic inner circle. Thus, the assumption is that Bushco is floating a trial balloon regarding any potential Israeli attack. . .

Spytheweb

EOG Addicted

....Not attacking the Iranian nuke site by the Israelis is only putting off a confrontation between these 2 nations at a time when Iran has Nukes!! Their leader says he will annihilate Israel-while most of the world would be thrilled, I doubt that's the outcome Israeli Jews are looking for!!!Again, America's job here is to stay out of Israel's way, because the Israelis will get the job done! And they're not worried about the US economy as much as they are of surviving!!!

What is America worried about? US economy or kissing up to Israel? Plus i wouldn't want to be on any aircraft carriers in the gulf. Alot of Americans are gonna die if Israel attacks, plus the attacks may not do any damage. Israeli cities will come under missile attacks, Israeli citizens won't be too happy about that.

To protect America, if Israel attacks Iran, i would attack Israel.

Spytheweb

EOG Addicted

Here's a tip for you, buy stock in Sunburn missiles, after they sink acouple of US aircraft carriers in the gulf, everybody's gonna want them.

scrimmage

What you contemplate you imitate

I agree that we should let the israeli's do it, then when iran gets all lathered up and tries to either attack israel or blames us for aiding them, we should attack iran for daring to smear our good name.

What is America worried about? US economy or kissing up to Israel? Plus i wouldn't want to be on any aircraft carriers in the gulf. Alot of Americans are gonna die if Israel attacks, plus the attacks may not do any damage. Israeli cities will come under missile attacks, Israeli citizens won't be too happy about that.

To protect America, if Israel attacks Iran, i would attack Israel.
2938u4ji23
If HR 580 passes the US House of Representatives,it will allow a US naval blockade of Iran,essentially an act of war.Who is pushing to have HR 580 passed?,right AIPAC[American Israel Public Affairs Commitee].
Don't count on Obama to change US policy towards Israel and its wishes for US military action,he's made his peace with the Israel lobby,and has come to an understanding on what he must carry out[John effin McCain is also in the bag].
Attacking Iran will have many unforeseen consequences,and as Spytheweb ventured in his post cause great damage to the US economy.
Excerpts below from:
Ron Jacobs: What's a Voter to Do?

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]War on Iran? Obama is for that as well. Without getting into the particulars here, let me just say that I think this idea is one of the most stupid ideas to come out of Washington in my lifetime. It's not that I'm a fan of the Tehran government as far as that goes, but it really isn't any of my business how the Iranians run their country. In fact, from what I know about the place from Iranian friends and others is that Iran is not a giant monolith intent on building nuclear weapons and destroying all its perceived enemies. [/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]In fact, this is not even the desire of much of the Iranian government if any of it. In fact, from where I sit, this description seems to fit the government in Washington better than it does the one in Tehran. After all, which legislature is probably going to pass legislation very soon that enables the White House to put a naval blockade in place around Iran? You got it. The one in Washington, DC. The legislation is known as HR 580 and has garnered dozens of cosponsors demanding that the US carry out what is internationally recognized as an act of war against Iran. Guess who is pushing this legislation? That's right, AIPAC.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Which brings me to another Obama talking point. Why did he consider it necessary to talk before AIPAC and pledge that he would support Israel no matter what that nation's government does? I mean, he went and talked to AIPAC before he talked to any other group. Why? This is a lobby whose entire raison d'etre is to get tons of money from the US taxpayers to fund an illegal, immoral, brutal and politically questionable occupation. [/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Last I looked, Israel was not part of the United States although it might as well be considering the amount of aid it gets from the Feds. Seems to me that they should either figure out how to survive without sucking off the Washington teat or demand statehood or territorial status. Not that I'm in favor of the latter, but we might as well certify the facts..[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]And then there's John Effin McCain. What's a voter going to do? Ralph Nader can't win and can probably only help Mr. Keating Five McCain win.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Stop U.S. Foreign Aid to Israel and Egypt

Posted on Oct 31st, 2006 by Cinc
I will not sign any bill into law providing foreign aid to Israel and Egypt, if elected U.S. president in 2008. No more grants or loans for any purpose - military or otherwise.

As for Israel: For too long, we have provided welfare to this so-called bastion of Middle Eastern democracy (population: 6.3 million). While Israel may be a democracy, at least on paper, at times it behaves more like a self-righteous, militant theocracy. And I promise, if elected, to end our financial support of that enterprise.
As for Egypt: They've been getting about the same amount as Israel, since the signing of the Camp David Peace Accords. Actually, they've received a bit less, on less generous terms. I believe the sole use of our aid provided to the Egyptians is to suppress local dissent, especially in the form of the Muslim Brotherhood. [What else, you think they're worried about the Sudanese attacking them?] Who knows? Without our aid, the MB might have actually been elected to power as a popular movement long ago (heaven forbid we allow that). Perhaps, once in power, the MB could have had a chance to mellow and evolve away from the more radical elements of their brand of Islam. Generally, suppression breeds hate and terrorism.
As for both Israel and Egypt: Maybe they, and the other players in the Middle East, could better solve their problems without U.S. behind-the-scenes interference.
My passion on this subject is driven by these three considerations:
ONE: "From FY1974 through FY2003, Israel has received more than $45 billion in waived loans [from the U.S. government]." That's right... our government loaned $45 billion to Israel, and then said (in effect), "That's okay, you don't have to pay it back." [It's not okay with me!] Source: Congressional Research Service, Lib. of Congress, www.usembassy.it/pdf/other/IB85066.pdf
TWO: "Unlike other countries, which receive aid in quarterly installments, aid to Israel since 1982 has been given in a lump sum at the beginning of the fiscal year, leaving the U.S. government to borrow from future revenues. Israel even lends some of this money back through U.S. treasury bills and collects the additional interest." [How thoughtful of Israel to loan us our own money!] Source: an article by Dr. Stephen Zunes at WRMEA: U.S. Aid to Israel
THREE: According to an article in the Washington Post (July 16, 2004), the U.S. House was considering a $570 million cut in U.S. military aid to Egypt. It took words from Colin Powell and Condi Rice to help the lawmakers get their heads straight and reject this cut.
As for Egypt, maybe a little unsupressed revolution might help Mubarek get his head straight. As for Israel, some might say (or at least think), "Anyone who would deny Israel's right to U.S. taxpayers' dollars is denying Israel's right to exist." Puhlease...stop...now...I mean it. There are two very good reasons why Israel will do quite nicely without our transfusions of cash and weaponry.
ONE: They have an arsenal of at least 200 nuclear warheads, easily outbalancing any other powers in the Middle East. [I hope no one is going to claim it's an "alleged" arsenal. I'll take (former President) Jimmy Carter's word that Israel indeed has a nuclear arsenal, as given in his book Our Endangered Values.]
TWO: God is on Israel's side. Remember when the walls of Jericho came tumbling down?
Given these two powerful considerations, Israel isn't going anywhere. And it certainly won't get wiped off the map. Now...how about us keeping this money and putting it to good use right here. After all, it is our money. [Repeat after me: It's our money, it's our money...]
Steven Searle for President in 2008: The only candidate with a contract.
"You wouldn't sell your house without a contract; why give your vote away

Stop U.S. Foreign Aid to Israel and Egypt by Steven Searle

ironmike67

EOG Senior Member

Who cares who gets the job done??? Israel could do a better job than America taking out this facility-it's just a re-run of 1981, when Israel took out Iraq's nuclear facility!!! Let Israel so it.....they'll get it done correctly!!

Hey Humble Harvey are you leading the attack on those nasty Iranians? Have you suited up strapped on your flight helmet and jumped into your F-16?

None of my tax dollars for Israel or their wars. I and most of my fellow countrymen have no beef with the Iranians. Or Hamas or Hezbollah for that matter. Go get them tiger if you want to pick a fight. Just leave the rest of us out of it please.

HotShotHarvey

EOG Veteran

I already served 6 years in the USAR, and at age 61,don't think the Army wants me! I WOULD like to kill all the Iranian TERRORISTS,though-how about YOU??? Noone asked you to help Israel fight their battles-they could get the job done if only America would leave them alone! Capitalists like Warren Buffett just invested $4BILLION dollars in Israel-others are doing the same! In closing, there must be something wrong with you if, as a "good American" you have no beef with terrorist groups like Hamas or Hezbollah-organizations who wish to destroy America's ONLY democratic ally in that region.!!! Mike , I send some of my after-tax money to "Friends of the IDF"...an organization that supports the Israeli soldiers on the front lines of a real battle against terrorism. Of course, a part of my taxes goes to support our great, brave American troops. And,in closing, my allegiance is, first and foremost to America!!! I'm on vacation in Maui, Munchy..I'll be back to destroy you even more when I get back!!!

Last edited:

Spytheweb

EOG Addicted

Hey Humble Harvey are you leading the attack on those nasty Iranians? Have you suited up strapped on your flight helmet and jumped into your F-16?

None of my tax dollars for Israel or their wars. I and most of my fellow countrymen have no beef with the Iranians. Or Hamas or Hezbollah for that matter. Go get them tiger if you want to pick a fight. Just leave the rest of us out of it please.

You hit the nail right on the head. How did Israel's enemies become our enemies? I say the US pulls out of Iraq and drops Israeli troops in their place for Iraqi freedom.

Spytheweb

EOG Addicted

I already served 6 years in the USAR, and at age 61,don't think the Army wants me! I WOULD like to kill all the Iranian TERRORISTS,though-how about YOU??? Noone asked you to help Israel fight their battles-they could get the job done if only America would leave them alone! Capitalists like Warren Buffett just invested $4BILLION dollars in Israel-others are doing the same! In closing, there must be something wrong with you if, as a "good American" you have no beef with terrorist groups like Hamas or Hezbollah-organizations who wish to destroy America's ONLY democratic ally in that region.!!! Mike , I send some of my after-tax money to "Friends of the IDF"...an organization that supports the Israeli soldiers on the front lines of a real battle against terrorism. Of course, a part of my taxes goes to support our great, brave American troops. And,in closing, my allegiance is, first and foremost to America!!! I'm on vacation in Maui, Munchy..I'll be back to destroy you even more when I get back!!!

Why don't you just take a flight to Iran, go down to a market place, with a gun, and kill all you can before you are killed? Israel can't kick no aaassssss with out the US help. Iran use to be democratic, until the CIA overthrown their government.

Israelis are terrorists. Terrorists who pay off the US government to support their welfare state.

HotShotHarvey

EOG Veteran

Glad you're paying to support the "JEW TERRORISTS"! What help from the US?? If I could kill all the Iranian TERRORISTS (not the non-terrorists) I would! Why don't you raise your nazi flag now,BEFORE you put on the white hooded sheet,a-hole!!!???? Why should I do this when the Israeli army and air force will take care of it ---when it suits them-and you'll thank them for doing what the American army cannot do..at a cost of a trillion bucks....some of it ...YOURS!!! Now put your head back in the sand and go back to sleep!!!