it has been narrowed down to the final two:

Re: it has been narrowed down to the final two:

I don't like "yelpy, punt dogs". so I would go with this guy.
A word of caution about Boxers though.
They are VERY rambunctious (sp) as pups. They eventually grow out of it and are a solid companion.

cassiusclay

EOG Master

question i have is my current pooch is 1/2 boxer and 1/2 labrador, weighs only 40lbs, i love the boxer features he has and i am told boxers are extremely smart, my concern is i would prefer a smaller boxer when full grown. my only concern is that the dog grows into a 80 lber....

question i have is my current pooch is 1/2 boxer and 1/2 labrador, weighs only 40lbs, i love the boxer features he has and i am told boxers are extremely smart, my concern is i would prefer a smaller boxer when full grown. my only concern is that the dog grows into a 80 lber....
I found the best way to get a read on eventual size is the size of the paws at about 4-6 months. If they look to large to fit the pup, chances are it's gonna be a biggin'.
Not an exact science though!

cassiusclay

EOG Master

huge decision, my 2 girls want a lap dog....still holding out for a boxer, i think.

our vet actually reccomended getting another dog, she said it would actually be beneficial for my current pooch....

huge decision, my 2 girls want a lap dog....still holding out for a boxer, i think.

our vet actually reccomended getting another dog, she said it would actually be beneficial for my current pooch....
I'm sure you love your girls but stick to your guns!
You will be the one feeding/cleaning up after/supporting it.
That or get one of each.

Boxers think they're lap dogs...does that count? :+textinb3

They can vary a LOT in size. My sister has two. One is 90lbs and the other is about 40-50lbs. She does a lot of work with Second Chance Boxer Rescue. I'm not sure where you're located or if they're national, but they do really good work placing dogs in the right homes.

My vote is for the Boxer, but I love big slobbery dogs with big fat heads. Little dogs are cool, they're just not for me.

Oh another dog to consider is a French Bulldog. They say they have the personality of a Boxer in a small package...and they have little Boxer-like faces. They're a sturdy little dog, so you wouldn't have t be ashamed of walking it. ;)

Another thing: Boxers are GREAT family dogs, but they do have a high prey drive, so you'll need to really keep an eye on them if there are small dogs in the neighborhood. Not ALL boxers are like this, but I know my sister's cat had a few near death experiences when she brought her dog home.

Hennessey

EOG Dedicated

Boxers are a TON of work. I tell you this as mine is repeatedly bringing me her ball and demanding play time. They're well worth it. Extremely smart, loyal, and fun.

Get both. I've got a Chihuahua and a Boxer. They get along pretty well.

Boxers think they're lap dogs...does that count? :+textinb3

They can vary a LOT in size. My sister has two. One is 90lbs and the other is about 40-50lbs. She does a lot of work with Second Chance Boxer Rescue. I'm not sure where you're located or if they're national, but they do really good work placing dogs in the right homes.

My vote is for the Boxer, but I love big slobbery dogs with big fat heads. Little dogs are cool, they're just not for me.
Boxers are very hyper as pups in my experience.
Once they get past that, they are excellent companions!:cheers

cassiusclay

EOG Master

french bulldog, interesting, gonna have to look into that one, thx, combination of the two, little guy but boxerish...

french bulldog, interesting, gonna have to look into that one, thx, combination of the two, little guy but boxerish...
Probably won't find one at the pound.
Be prepared to drop some coin on one of these.
They are cute dogs though!

Boxers are very hyper as pups in my experience.
Once they get past that, they are excellent companions!:cheers

I don't know, my sister's is 8 and he still has TONS of energy. I still think they are great dogs, but I know my sister doesn't exercise hers enough and I hate to see them go to homes where they're not going to get enough exercise. That's why I warn everyone that tells me they're thinking of getting one. Still, I they're one of my favorite breeds. I love their personalities and let's face it....they are painfully cute all the way up to their senior years.

Probably won't find one at the pound.
Be prepared to drop some coin on one of these.
They are cute dogs though!

That's true, but almost all breed have rescue groups in place. I'm sure if you Google "French Bulldog Rescue" you can find one near by.

My sister loves Frenchies. She's knows a few people with them and she's been around them a lot and according to her, they're like little mini boxers.

If you look at a full picture of them they're cuter. They have this little "tough guy" stance. :+textinb3

cassiusclay

EOG Master

Another thing: Boxers are GREAT family dogs, but they do have a high prey drive, so you'll need to really keep an eye on them if there are small dogs in the neighborhood. Not ALL boxers are like this, but I know my sister's cat had a few near death experiences when she brought her dog home.

2nd problem, i live in the woods, kinda got spoiled with my current pooch, open the door, he does his business and comes back in, never have him on a leash...

I don't know, my sister's is 8 and he still has TONS of energy. I still think they are great dogs, but I know my sister doesn't exercise hers enough and I hate to see them go to homes where they're not going to get enough exercise. That's why I warn everyone that tells me they're thinking of getting one. Still, I they're one of my favorite breeds. I love their personalities and let's face it....they are painfully cute all the way up to their senior years.
My wife & I breed & raise Labs.
Try having 8-10 of those little hyper bastards bouncing of the walls all day long! It's alot f work, but I love it! Glutton for punishment I guess.:+textinb3

cassiusclay

EOG Master

Boxers are a TON of work. I tell you this as mine is repeatedly bringing me her ball and demanding play time. They're well worth it. Extremely smart, loyal, and fun.

Get both. I've got a Chihuahua and a Boxer. They get along pretty well.

we "borrowed" a friends chihuhua for a couple of days, my girls loved him. he was patient enough to let them treat him like he was a baby, pushing him around in a baby stroller, he jumped up on my lap and had a purple bow on him, he looked at me like he was going to say "you gotta be kidding me dude"....:doh1

2nd problem, i live in the woods, kinda got spoiled with my current pooch, open the door, he does his business and comes back in, never have him on a leash...

Boxers are smart and can be trained, but I wouldn't let him off the leash right away. I'm speaking from the experience I have had with my sister's Boxers, but I should have put a disclaimer about the fact that she hasn't even really tried to train her dogs. They rule her house. If you start trainhing them young, they're very loyal and obedient dogs.

cassiusclay

EOG Master

Boxers are smart and can be trained, but I wouldn't let him off the leash right away. I'm speaking from the experience I have had with my sister's Boxers, but I should have put a disclaimer about the fact that she hasn't even really tried to train her dogs. They rule her house. If you start trainhing them young, they're very loyal and obedient dogs.

i paid alot of attention to my pooch, he WAS a perfectly trained dog until 2 little girls ruined him. when i say ruined it's not that bad but he only listens to me now....

My wife & I breed & raise Labs.
Try having 8-10 of those little hyper bastards bouncing of the walls all day long! It's alot f work, but I love it! Glutton for punishment I guess.:+textinb3

I would LOVE to have 8-10 puppies all over! What kind of labs do you breed? I keep telling my BF that I want another Golden one day, but he's nervous about the long hair with his allergies, so I told him I might be willing to comprimise and get a Yellow Lab, BUT it has to be the more stocky breed (can't remember if it's the American or the English).

Puppies are the best. Even when they're tearing your house apart, they're so damn cute. :+textinb3

i paid alot of attention to my pooch, he WAS a perfectly trained dog until 2 little girls ruined him. when i say ruined it's not that bad but he only listens to me now....

My dog only listens to me because my BF is a big softie. :+textinb3

I would LOVE to have 8-10 puppies all over! What kind of labs do you breed? I keep telling my BF that I want another Golden one day, but he's nervous about the long hair with his allergies, so I told him I might be willing to comprimise and get a Yellow Lab, BUT it has to be the more stocky breed (can't remember if it's the American or the English).

Puppies are the best. Even when they're tearing your house apart, they're so damn cute. :+textinb3
The latest litter were all black.
We keep hoping for a chocolate, but no luck as of yet.
Mama has only had pups twice so far. Think we are gonna breed her one more time to see if we get a chocolate.

I'd post a pic, but i am comp. illiterate and can't figure out the process!:doh1