James Harrison. Best player in NFL history?

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!
I spent a couple hours last night watching the Super Bowl on tape. It took me a couple hours to watch the first half (i'll watch the 2nd half tonight or in the near future). I'll give you my indepth thoughts on the entire game and what i saw and found by watching each play approximately 10 times (some plays i watched about 20 times because there was so much going on, you couldnt digest all that in only 10 servings)

Anyway, after watching the first half and watching a lot of James Harrison, i got to thinking "is he the best player the NFL has ever seen and if not, who is?"

I can't remember ever seeing a player who was so big and so fast in my life. It actually takes you a little while because his size and speed just plays tricks on your brain....your brain can't comprehend how someone can be so big yet so fast.

After a little while i realized Harrison is the best player in the NFL by far and i think he might be the best player i've ever seen. I saw Lawrence Taylor's entire career and as great as LT was, LT did it against much smaller, much less athletic competition. LT was and still is an all time great and he made mincemeat out of his rivals. Harrison is a modern day LT. But, he might be better.

I'm not sure. He might be better, he might be worse. I think its close.

I know, that in order to be considered an all time great, you have to 'do it' for many years in a row. I'm just talking about one year, one play, one game. Would you want James Harrison on your defense or someone else?

I guess there are a few players you would want instead of him, but, i'm just not sure who they are.

Doc Mercer

EOG Master
Re: James Harrison. Best player in NFL history?

To Quote Lloyd Benson:

"Mr Harrison ..... I saw Dick Butkus play .... and you sir are no Dick Butkus .."

A lot of players? Really? A lot in history or a lot that are currently playing in the NFL.

name a few, im curious.

well history included...but lb's in the game that i feel have had/will have better careers than him would be ray lewis, merriman, and brooks

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

well history included...but lb's in the game that i feel have had/will have better careers than him would be ray lewis, merriman, and brooks

Ok.....i'm just talking about one game, at full power. Each player's best game. No doubt that the guys you have mentioned have had better full careers, but i'm talkng about raw horsepower.

I know that in order to be an all time great in the eyes of the electronic media you have to play for X number of years and complie X amount of statistics, i get that...i'm just talking about each player's best game. My point was that Harrison is as good as anyone i've seen.

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Ya never saw Butkus ....

No way in hell I take ANY lb over Butkus

ray lewis was unstoppable on the field in his prime...harrison plays weak side w/ a lot less duties on the field...

ill compare weak side between harrison and merriman...harrison is a solid player but i dont really see him take over games...merriman (when healthy) looks like a man amongst boys (excluding MDJ)

Enfuego

EOG Dedicated

ray lewis was unstoppable on the field in his prime...harrison plays weak side w/ a lot less duties on the field...

ill compare weak side between harrison and merriman...harrison is a solid player but i dont really see him take over games...merriman (when healthy) looks like a man amongst boys (excluding MDJ)

Most youngsters here never saw Derrick Thomas play for the Chiefs. He was the man.

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Flamingo:

Nitschke and Butkus were beasts

the game has changed and those 2 working out year round with the advancements in all phases of the game would take a back seat to no one

Butkus was the most intimidating Lb in the history of the NFL

Enfuego

EOG Dedicated

Flamingo:

Nitschke and Butkus were beasts

the game has changed and those 2 working out year round with the advancements in all phases of the game would take a back seat to no one

Butkus was the most intimidating Lb in the history of the NFL

But I guess Harrison is better than Lawrence Taylor right? Unreal.

Enfuego

EOG Dedicated

my uncle use to be a huuuuge okoye fan...i got to see a little DT when i was a little one!

That guy had one of the best first steps off the edge I've ever seen. He was faster, stronger and more determined than many LB's I've seen throughout history.

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

I remember Okoye meeting Atwater .....

Okoye lost that battle

Racer X

EOG Enthusiast

Honestly, Flamingo is on to something here...

Harrison gets held on EVERY play. That is the only way they can stop him. Anyone notice how the tackle for Zona got called for holding on the first play? They were trying to send him a message. Obviously, they can't call holding on every play, but they called it 3 times in that game and could have called it 10 more times.

And due to the Steeler blitz packages, teams can't afford to double team him in obvious throwing situations so they hold him.

You can't compare Butkus to Harrison. Apples to oranges. Both great in their own right, but completely different players in completely differeant eras.

Enfuego

EOG Dedicated

Honestly, Flamingo is on to something here...

Harrison gets held on EVERY play. That is the only way they can stop him. Anyone notice how the tackle for Zona got called for holding on the first play? They were trying to send him a message. Obviously, they can't call holding on every play, but they called it 3 times in that game and could have called it 10 more times.

And due to the Steeler blitz packages, teams can't afford to double team him in obvious throwing situations so they hold him.

You can't compare Butkus to Harrison. Apples to oranges. Both great in their own right, but completely different players in completely differeant eras.

Every LB gets held on every play.

Racer X

EOG Enthusiast

Ray Lewis is the only modern day era player that comes close to Harrison.

But I will give the edge (for now) to Lewis as Harrison is also a product of the the 3-4 system.

Enfuego

EOG Dedicated

Ray Lewis is the only modern day era player that comes close to Harrison.

But I will give the edge (for now) to Lewis as Harrison is also a product of the the 3-4 system.

What do you consider a modern day era player? Can you define that please?

Racer X

EOG Enthusiast

Because it is a completely different game now. 15 years ago, each team had maybe ONE OL that went 300. It is now a requirement for the job.

Just a different game. Bigger and faster.

kid44

EOG Dedicated

I have to say that I just ruined my keyboard spitting supper up after reading this question. Dude, you have to be under 22. LOL

Enfuego

EOG Dedicated

I have to say that I just ruined my keyboard spitting supper up after reading this question. Dude, you have to be under 22. LOL

That's why I asked. I can't even believe I'm wasting my time. Harrison is better than Ray Lewis and Merriman huh? Good one.

And he doesn't only say linebacker but best player in NFL history. This has to be a joke.

Enfuego

EOG Dedicated

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ngfy8A_BPNI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ngfy8A_BPNI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

And he got those 7 sacks lined up in one spot all game.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

That's why I asked. I can't even believe I'm wasting my time. Harrison is better than Ray Lewis and Merriman huh? Good one.

And he doesn't only say linebacker but best player in NFL history. This has to be a joke.

You see, here's the difference between you and me.

I actually watch tape. You, on the other hand, do not.

This is where the differences come in.

Go back and watch Harrison on tape. He does things that other players don't do or can't do. He's a man against boys. He's the best defensive player in the NFL in 2008/2009 which means that if you believe that the players of today are better (bigger faster stronger) than players from any other era, Harrison is the best player in the best era.

Think bigger, stronger, faster than ever before in history. Think Harrison is the best of that lot. Best by far. Its not close. Watch the tape.

Your eyes won't lie, i promise.

Enfuego

EOG Dedicated

You see, here's the difference between you and me.

I actually watch tape. You, on the other hand, do not.

This is where the differences come in.

Go back and watch Harrison on tape. He does things that other players don't do or can't do. He's a man against boys. He's the best defensive player in the NFL in 2008/2009 which means that if you believe that the players of today are better (bigger faster stronger) than players from any other era, Harrison is the best player in the best era.

Think bigger, stronger, faster than ever before in history. Think Harrison is the best of that lot. Best by far. Its not close. Watch the tape.

Your eyes won't lie, i promise.

The differences between you and me are many but one difference is I don't watch one play a guy makes in a Super Bowl and then make a statement that the player is the greatest player in NFL history. That is the difference and anyone on this board with 5% of sports knowledge will laugh at you for this ridiculous thread. Seriously, are you over the age of 23 because it doesn't sound like it at all?

Even 5 star would tell you this thread is ridiculous. Have you ever seen a men named Lawrence Taylor, Ray Lewis or Dick Butkus play the game of football in person or on tape?

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

The differences between you and me are many but one difference is I don't watch one play a guy makes in a Super Bowl and then make a statement that the player is the greatest player in NFL history. That is the difference and anyone on this board with 5% of sports knowledge will laugh at you for this ridiculous thread. Seriously, are you over the age of 23 because it doesn't sound like it at all?

Even 5 star would tell you this thread is ridiculous. Have you ever seen a men named Lawrence Taylor, Ray Lewis or Dick Butkus play the game of football in person or on tape?

Who said i watch one play? I watch every play in every game for every team every year. More than once. More than 5 times.

Enfuego

EOG Dedicated

Who said i watch one play? I watch every play in every game for every team every year. More than once. More than 5 times.

Answer this honest question? Have you ever watched tape of Lawrence Taylor or Derrick Thomas play football? Do you know where they went to college or what they did in the NFL? Seriously.

ill take a healthy merriman over a healthy harrison any day of the week...hell twice on sundays!

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Answer this honest question? Have you ever watched tape of Lawrence Taylor or Derrick Thomas play football? Do you know where they went to college or what they did in the NFL? Seriously.

I've seen LT in person, have you?

Heck, i've seen BOTH Lt's in person.