Jay Cohen TV interview leads NY U.S. Attorney's Office to charge him again?

Online Gambling: More Trouble for Jay Cohen?

Federal authorities in the USA are considering whether to recharge Internet gambling pioneer Jay Cohen with running an illegal online sports betting operation, after Cohen appeared on TV this week and admitted he is back in the online sports betting business again.

Cohen, 44, a former stockbroker from San Francisco, and a partner co-founded Antigua-based online sports wagering site World Sports Exchange (wsex) in 1997. In 1998, Cohen and 20 others were charged with a variety of criminal offenses by the U.S. Justice Department for operating several unlawful online gambling sites.

Cohen was the only one of the so-called "Internet 21" to return to the U.S. and fight the charges in court. He had a jury trial in Federal court in 2000, which he lost, and was sentenced to 24 months in Federal prison. He appealed and lost and started serving time in 2002. He was released in 2004 after serving 17 months and some time between then and now he returned to Antigua to resume helping run World Sports Exchange.

As per the terms of his release from prison, however, Cohen had to promise the Feds and the court that he would not return to the online gambling business.

On Wednesday night on the Consumer News and Business Channel (CNBC for short), an American cable TV network seen around the world, a special one-hour report aired that was titled "CNBC Investigates: The Big Business of Illegal Gambling."

Among others, Cohen was interviewed for the show, appearing on television for the first time since his release from prison.

It was revealed on the show for the first time publicly--though industry insiders have known about for a while--that Cohen had returned to World Sports Exchange in Antgua, in direct violation of the order issued by the court and Federal officials.

Cohen was last seen on TV years ago, on "60 Minutes," before his imprisonment. Wednesday on CNBC, Cohen's appearance was shocking. Cohen literally looked like Elvis Presley shortly before death--fat, bloated, jowled, haggard, old, grey, tired, weary, listless, worn out and beaten down. Prison will do that to you, and it was obvious the inmate experience had taken its toll on Cohen, despite his being in a tropical paradise now and out of the can for five years.

"I'm staying in Antigua forever," Cohen declared on the show.

Nevertheless, a source in the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York, which originally prosecuted Cohen, told Gambling911.com that it is possible the Feds may charge Cohen again, for violating the terms of his release from prison by reengaging in Internet gambling.

"Nothing has been ruled in or ruled out" as far as Cohen is concerned, the source told Gambling911.com. The Feds are looking into the matter, the source said, and will soon make a decision on how to handle it.

Expect the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York to issue a statement about the matter, possibly as soon as next week, the source said.

Meanwhile, a longtime observer of the Internet gambling industry tells Gambling911.com: "I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Feds go after Cohen again. They don't like to be humiliated publicly, which Cohen did by going on TV from Antigua. It's like he has to rub his finger in their eye and say look at me!"

"And don't think it won't happen because the U.S. has a Democratic President now. When Cohen was originally charged, Clinton was President."

"And remember how that went down. Cohen was interviewed by Sports Illustrated, bragging about World Sports Exchange and how the Feds couldn't touch him offshore. A few weeks later, the Feds busted him. Now he's shooting off his damn mouth again."

article from gambling911.com

Re: Jay Cohen TV interview leads NY U.S. Attorney's Office to charge him again?

meant to post this in the main forum..

I think the new charges would be for his violating the terms of his release from prison. He has since gone back to work for WSEX, which apparently is a no-no, according to the article.

US Government must be running out of important things to worry about...

the fact he went back to WSEX is no shock. and he has no choice but to stay in Antigua and tell the Govt to "fuck off". Jay got bent over the first time he came back - he is too smart to make that mistake again. no way to extradite him from Antigua and living there isn't the worst thing in the world

Jay is STUPID for going on Camera, though. lay low and avoid trouble

It's always U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York. This particular office was also at the center of the NETELLER takedown. A judge's courtroom in Brooklyn is where "The Neteller Two" Lawrence and Lefebvre case ended due to closed doors with zero mention in the media.

I'd like to why exactly the Southern District in NYC is always at the center of this stuff. Why the major hard-on against online gambling? Does a US Attorney in that office have political aspirations? Gonna be Senator and then President someday?

That strategy didn't work out too well for Jim Leach, who was booted out of the House of Reps after 30 years of service right after his UIGEA passed the Senate. Poker players went to the polls and got him out of there.

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

We all like JC and what he has done. We all are on his side.

WIth that being said, how stupid is he challenging the US government the first time and now saying FUCK YOU to the US government going on TV when he is not supposed to be there. Not smart at all. I am shocked. Jay you just do not get it and never have. Good luck, you will need it.

WIth that being said, how stupid is he challenging the US government the first time and now saying FUCK YOU to the US government going on TV when he is not supposed to be there. Not smart at all. I am shocked. Jay you just do not get it and never have. Good luck, you will need it.
sharp post. Ayre did the same.

anyone have a link to the newest jay c interview

Wrong.

Jay is FREE to go wherever he wants. That article is filled with incorrect facts...

JC served his time and he is allowed to travel wherever he wants, including Antigua...

He never stated he was working again for the World Sports Exchange..

Also, there were NO CONDITIONS place on his release from prison...

People like Tom Somach make me sick..

All Jay did was to try and convince the Interviewer about the hypocricy that exists since the US permits gambling in almost every State, but they claim it is morally wrong to do so online...

He also correctly pointed out that the WTO found the US to be guilty of violating ther FREE TRADE ACT that entitles Antigua to accept online gambling.

To date, The US has simply ignored this ruling...

THE SHRINK

SlipperyPete

EOG Dedicated

Fatty just couldnt keep his mouth shut and had to go on TV.

If they charge him I wouldnt have any sympathy for him. (especially since he would be a part of a stiff operation)

All he had to do was lay low

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

I like this guys balls. sometimes it is just hard for some people to just lay down and let our corrupt Gov't run over them.

patswin

EOG Veteran

Why doesn't JC post here anymore?

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

Wrong.

Jay is FREE to go wherever he wants. That article is filled with incorrect facts...

JC served his time and he is allowed to travel wherever he wants, including Antigua...

He never stated he was working again for the World Sports Exchange..

Also, there were NO CONDITIONS place on his release from prison...

People like Tom Somach make me sick..

All Jay did was to try and convince the Interviewer about the hypocricy that exists since the US permits gambling in almost every State, but they claim it is morally wrong to do so online...

He also correctly pointed out that the WTO found the US to be guilty of violating ther FREE TRADE ACT that entitles Antigua to accept online gambling.

To date, The US has simply ignored this ruling...

THE SHRINK

It is a shame if some facts are wrong. Then what is he doing down there if not working at WSE? He should not be on TV saying what he did. One thing nobody in the world should ever do is make an enemy of the US government. You will pay for better or worse. We are on his side but he is so niave for a smart guy. WTF is he doing on TV? Not smart at all Ken. Shocking too.

It is a shame if some facts are wrong. Then what is he doing down there if not working at WSE? He should not be on TV saying what he did. One thing nobody in the world should ever do is make an enemy of the US government. You will pay for better or worse. We are on his side but he is so niave for a smart guy. WTF is he doing on TV? Not smart at all Ken. Shocking too.

Tom,

Are u deaf?

He is recognized as a crucader for the online gambling community by many people, including some prestigious media outlets.

I repeat, he NEVER stated he was still involved with WSEX.

But he did what many others are afraid of doing by expressing how WRONG he felt it was for the US government to VIOLATE a WTO decision that supports Jay's opinion on Internet gambling...

I believe he is a martyr and certainly not an idiot...

His lawyers were also aware of this interview, and he did nothing wrong...

It's a travesty that others don't step up to the plate as he has on more than one occasion to fight for all of us....

THE SHRINK

Let me point out all the LIES by Somach...

Federal authorities in the USA are considering whether to recharge Internet gambling pioneer Jay Cohen with running an illegal online sports betting operation, after Cohen appeared on TV this week and admitted he is back in the online sports betting business again.

<b>That whole paragraph is a lie. Do you really think the Feds would tell Tom Somach they are looking into this matter? Also, Jay never admitted he is still involved in the online sports betting business... </b>

Cohen, 44, a former stockbroker from San Francisco, and a partner co-founded Antigua-based online sports wagering site World Sports Exchange (wsex) in 1997. In 1998, Cohen and 20 others were charged with a variety of criminal offenses by the U.S. Justice Department for operating several unlawful online gambling sites.

<b>This is true </b>

Cohen was the only one of the so-called "Internet 21" to return to the U.S. and fight the charges in court. He had a jury trial in Federal court in 2000, which he lost, and was sentenced to 24 months in Federal prison. He appealed and lost and started serving time in 2002. He was released in 2004 after serving 17 months and some time between then and now he returned to Antigua to resume helping run World Sports Exchange.

<b>The part about running WSEX is another lie. Try calling WSEX and he is never there. He lives in Antigua but doesn't work for WSEX any longer..</b>

As per the terms of his release from prison, however, Cohen had to promise the Feds and the court that he would not return to the online gambling business.

<b>Another lie. I was there. There was no conditions on his release. Once you serve your time, you are a FREE MAN... </b>

On Wednesday night on the Consumer News and Business Channel (CNBC for short), an American cable TV network seen around the world, a special one-hour report aired that was titled "CNBC Investigates: The Big Business of Illegal Gambling."

Among others, Cohen was interviewed for the show, appearing on television for the first time since his release from prison.

<b>
True</b>

It was revealed on the show for the first time publicly--though industry insiders have known about for a while--that Cohen had returned to World Sports Exchange in Antgua, in direct violation of the order issued by the court and Federal officials.

<b>
Another Lie</b>

Cohen was last seen on TV years ago, on "60 Minutes," before his imprisonment. Wednesday on CNBC, Cohen's appearance was shocking. Cohen literally looked like Elvis Presley shortly before death--fat, bloated, jowled, haggard, old, grey, tired, weary, listless, worn out and beaten down. Prison will do that to you, and it was obvious the inmate experience had taken its toll on Cohen, despite his being in a tropical paradise now and out of the can for five years.

<b>
No comment other than the writer is unprofessional by describing Jay in this manner...</b>

<b>
Yes, he said that... </b>

Nevertheless, a source in the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York, which originally prosecuted Cohen, told Gambling911.com that it is possible the Feds may charge Cohen again, for violating the terms of his release from prison by reengaging in Internet gambling.
<b>

Bold faced lie...

</b>"Nothing has been ruled in or ruled out" as far as Cohen is concerned, the source told Gambling911.com. The Feds are looking into the matter, the source said, and will soon make a decision on how to handle it.</b>
<b>

Lie..Sensationalism by a site known for that...</b>

Expect the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York to issue a statement about the matter, possibly as soon as next week, the source said.
<b>

I'd be willing to bet Somach as much money as he cares to that no such statement is in the works. There will NEVER be another statement about this matter, much less next week. WSEX stopped advertising with Sting so this is the result...</b>

Meanwhile, a longtime observer of the Internet gambling industry tells Gambling911.com: "I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Feds go after Cohen again. They don't like to be humiliated publicly, which Cohen did by going on TV from Antigua. It's like he has to rub his finger in their eye and say look at me!"

<b>
Of course, no name is mentioned...</b>

"And don't think it won't happen because the U.S. has a Democratic President now. When Cohen was originally charged, Clinton was President."

<b>
Sensationalism...</b>

"And remember how that went down. Cohen was interviewed by Sports Illustrated, bragging about World Sports Exchange and how the Feds couldn't touch him offshore. A few weeks later, the Feds busted him. Now he's shooting off his damn mouth again."

<b>
Nonsense.. The SI article came out at the end of February of 98. Cohen's charges were announced at the end of March based on bets WSEX accepted from FBI agents in October of 1997... Nothing at all to do with SI </b>

<b>
article from Somach and Sting... </b>

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

Tom,

Are u deaf?

He is recognized as a crucader for the online gambling community by many people, including some prestigious media outlets.

I repeat, he NEVER stated he was still involved with WSEX.

But he did what many others are afraid of doing by expressing how WRONG he felt it was for the US government to VIOLATE a WTO decision that supports Jay's opinion on Internet gambling...

I believe he is a martyr and certainly not an idiot...

His lawyers were also aware of this interview, and he did nothing wrong...

It's a travesty that others don't step up to the plate as he has on more than one occasion to fight for all of us....

THE SHRINK

Crusader is great Shrink. Guy went to jail because he was too stupid to understand that if the US does not want you you to so something. YOU BETTER NOT. He was singled out and railroaded. But he lost. And lost big time. Now he looks terrible and beaten. His lawyers saw it? The same ones that singed off and hid when the US charged him??? The same ones that denied they told him it was ok? Or are these different ones?

There was not much to gain by going on TV. ANd a lot to lose.

What is he doing down there if not working????

Are we stupid?

Nice try and good defending him but he is making bad decisions.

biggamer3

EOG Master

that writer has an obvious ax to grind with JC.

Such a biased one sided piece

Tom,

After Jay served his time, he told me he NEVER was going to live in the US again...

Who can blame him?

Antigua is the logical place for him to live since he has many Friends there..

THE SHRINK

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

Let me point out all the LIES by Somach...

That whole paragraph is a lie. Do you really think the Feds would tell Tom Somach they are looking into this matter? Also, Jay never admitted he is still involved in the online sports betting business...

This is true

The part about running WSEX is another lie. Try calling WSEX and he is never there. He lives in Antigua but doesn't work for WSEX any longer..

Another lie. I was there. There was no conditions on his release. Once you serve your time, you are a FREE MAN...

True

Another Lie

No comment other than the writer is unprofessional by describing Jay in this manner...

Yes, he said that...

Bold faced lie...

"Nothing has been ruled in or ruled out" as far as Cohen is concerned, the source told Gambling911.com. The Feds are looking into the matter, the source said, and will soon make a decision on how to handle it.</B>

Lie..Sensationalism by a site known for that...

I'd be willing to bet Somach as much money as he cares to that no such statement is in the works. There will NEVER be another statement about this matter, much less next week. WSEX stopped advertising with Sting so this is the result...

Of course, no name is mentioned...

Sensationalism...

Nonsense.. The SI article came out at the end of February of 98. Cohen's charges were announced at the end of March based on bets WSEX accepted from FBI agents in October of 1997... Nothing at all to do with SI..

article from Somach and Sting...

Ken, you have no idea if the Feds are looking to charge him. None. DO you have any evidence? Is sounds like that guy made a few calls.

Jay looks HORRIBLE. Are you denying that?

Jay should not be on TV saying anything about this? Are you denying that?

JC, entire attitude is/was wrong. If the US singles you out (and I mean anyone, any country, anything) you better listen or they will destroy you or your country. Most people know this. He was told "They will not let you win". THat is basically what I just said. Nobody wants to fight the US on this. You will lose and lose badly. Just like JC did.

He should not be going on TV.

Why is he down in Antigua????????????

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

Tom,

After Jay served his time, he told me he NEVER was going to live in the US again...

Who can blame him?

Antigua is the logical place for him to live since he has many Friends there..

THE SHRINK

Ok Fair enough. Makses sense. How is he making money down there?

Still should not be on TV saying anything about that stuff. He needs to stay clean and quiet.

The writer may or may not be out of line, that is possible but JC should not be going on TV about this topic. Nice of you to defend him Ken but somethings do not add up....

If he has no plans on returning to the United States...what is the harm in stating his opinion on TV....?

Plus a lot of guys get fat after 40.....I'll send him my old fella work out routine...:salle:

retiredincr

EOG Enthusiast

i personally think jc got a very raw deal and has more than paid for his so called crimes, however his shop wsex seems to have some major issues in today's market that said DOJ leave this man alone Finally
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Tim Finchem

EOG Dedicated

Shrink you need to get your ass down to Capitol Hill and fight for us peasants to be able to gamble online:+textinb3

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

If he has no plans on returning to the United States...what is the harm in stating his opinion on TV....?

Plus a lot of guys get fat after 40.....I'll send him my old fella work out routine...:salle:

Well he might be better avoiding the entire topic together after what happened. Yeah he is down in Antugua NOT working at WSEX. :cocktail How does he get his money? Male prositution?