Jeff Fisher and John Fox

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Two longtime NFL head coaches who enjoyed excellent reputations early in their careers but who clearly held back their franchises later in their careers.

I thought about the two men as I was watching the Sunday Night Football game between the Rams and Bears.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Both Fisher and Fox are old-school defensive-minded coaches.

Beware of others in the NFL like Fisher and Fox.

parlaynow

EOG Dedicated
Marvin Lewis..a joke.

Fifteen years of nothing..no playoff wins.

Then he brings back genius Hue Jackson.

Pure comedy.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Lewis hired Hue Jackson as a (WAIT FOR IT) defensive consultant, no less.

You can't make it up.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I think you want to go with the Rams' current coaching model.

Recruit a young, energetic head coach with an offensive mind (Sean McVay) and a veteran defensive coordinator with a proven record of success (Wade Phillips).

The Bears seem to have a winning combination with Matt Nagy and Vic Fangio.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I'll give credit to Carroll for promoting Russell Wilson over Matt Flynn in Wilson's rookie year.

But I never knew Carroll to be an offensive mind.

I don't think Carroll was getting blamed for the worst play call in the history of Seattle's franchise on a goal-line pass play against New England, a play that's been dubbed "Second and Dumb."

The goat was Seattle offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell.

Last edited:
Marvin Lewis has to go!

I just don't know how they have any fans keeping this guy. 16 years and they have not won 1 (one, shoutout to the meatman) playoff game! (and they have not made the playoffs the past 3 years)

Truly amazing he has a job

TheGuesser

EOG Dedicated
Marvin keeps his mouth shut and probably works cheap. That's all that counts in Cinn. It's probably his job as long as he wants it, at this point, although it would be hysterically funny if he stepped down and Hue replaced him next year.
Pete Carroll is a great Coach. Nagy will probably win COY, and it would be hard to argue it, but Carroll might have done a better job. Chicago has the best talent in the League on D, loaded at all 3 levels, and were handed the best or 2nd best D player in the NFL. Carroll has rebuilt Seattle on the fly with a bunch of young players nobody knows.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Good point about Carroll's outstanding season.

What was Chicago's RSW total before and after acquiring Khalil Mack?

I faintly remember 6.5 sometime this summer.

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
Jim Caldwell may become a head coach again in the NFL next year. Players played for him in Detroit, got a lot out of the team with what they had, that is evident compared to how Matt Patricia handled the same players. Will be interesting to see where he ends up.