Johnson fires back at Newman

dirty

EOG Master
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=440 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD>Associated Press
<!-- Meta Tag For Search --><!-- meta name="author" content=""--><!-- meta name="source" content="AP"--><!-- meta name="eventId" content=""--><!-- meta name="contentTypeCode" content="1"--><!-- meta name="editorContentCode" content="1"--><!-- meta name="blurb" content="Jimmie Johnson believes he won the Daytona 500 fair and square.That is more than he can say about postrace comments that painted him as a cheater.Johnson fired back Tuesday at Ryan Newman, who said the victory wasn't "necessarily good for the sport." Johnson won the race Sunday without crew chief Chad Knaus, suspended for making an illegal modification to the No. 48 Chevrolet during qualifying."--><!-- meta name="modDate" content="February 22, 2006 04:04:45 GMT"-->Posted: 1 day ago<SCRIPT> // front-end hack to remove postedTime from Rumors page until a better way can be determined if (document.URL.indexOf("/name/FS/rumors") != -1) document.getElementById("postedTime").style.display = 'none'; </SCRIPT> </TD><TD width=10> </TD><TD align=right><!--this is for sponsorships or brandings--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><!-- workingCategoryId: 167--></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=bdy cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=770 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD height=5></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=bdy cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=770 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width=10></TD><TD width=440><!-- search:</noindex> --><SCRIPT> if(fanid.length > 0 && typeof(nflDefaultLeague)!= "undefined") { leagueId = nflDefaultLeague; //find teamId of default league (if exists) for(var i=0; i < teamsInfo.length; i++){ if(teamsInfo[4] == leagueId){ defaultTeamId = teamsInfo[0]; } } var fantasyLeaguePlayerJsPath = 'http://msnfantasy.foxsports.com' + '/nugget/200002_' + leagueId + '|||' + fanid; } </SCRIPT>NEW YORK (AP) - Jimmie Johnson believes he won the Daytona 500 fair and square.

<STYLE>div.foxBite {margin-bottom:10px;border-bottom:1px solid black;border-top:1px solid black;padding:5px;}div.foxBite td {font-family:verdana;font-size:10px;}</STYLE>FOX Bite
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="95%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width="48%">Videos
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 10px">
</TD><TD>NASCAR FOX Wire
Jimmie Johnson's crew chief suspended, Tony Stewart influences officials, Troy Aikman's racing hits a bump and more news from the track.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=emailBoothFields style="BORDER-RIGHT: #b3b3b3 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #b3b3b3 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #b3b3b3 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #b3b3b3 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #eee" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=245 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
Photo Gallery...
Daytona 500

Also...
Daytona 500 roundup
Stewart's aggressive side resurfaces
Earnhardt gets another top-10 finish
Cheating penalty doesn't slow team
More surprises for Shelmerdine
VIDEO: Johnson opens up to FSN
VIDEO: Johnson on his victory
Riding with Junior: Daytona 500
More...

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
That is more than he can say about postrace comments that painted him as a cheater.
Johnson fired back Tuesday at Ryan Newman, who said the victory wasn't "necessarily good for the sport." Johnson won the race Sunday without crew chief Chad Knaus, suspended for making an illegal modification to the No. 48 Chevrolet during qualifying.
"I think inside it felt good to (Newman) to take a shot at me," Johnson said Tuesday during a media tour through New York. "He didn't win the race. That's what disappoints me. Be happy for me. I overcame a lot in this race. Why take a cheap shot?"
Newman, who finished third, said after the race: "This could still be the first opportunity for NASCAR to pull away a victory if the thing is illegal. It's disappointing. I think a lot of Jimmie Johnson and his talent, but I'm pretty sure at least three of his last four wins have had conflictions with the cars being illegal."
Those comments were made before Johnson's car passed postrace inspection. Johnson won the race for the first time in his five-year career after charging to the front with 14 laps remaining and holding on over two restarts.
Though Johnson understands drivers sometimes make emotional comments after races, he questioned some of what Newman has accomplished in the past.
<TABLE class=emailBoothFields style="BORDER-RIGHT: #b3b3b3 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #b3b3b3 1px solid; MARGIN-TOP: 3px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #b3b3b3 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #b3b3b3 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #eee" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=250 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>

Join Today for Free!

Free Fantasy Auto Racing!
Win a trip for two to a 2007 race!
Pick Four Drivers
Create a League

</TD></TR><TR><TD>
2006 TV schedule
The Auto Club 500 presented by Q on Sunday Feb. 26 at 3:30 p.m. ET starts season six of NASCAR on FOX, FX and SPEED.
NASCAR on FOX season preview

Specifically in 2003, when Newman won a career-high eight races.
"It's well known that he got spectacular fuel mileage and there was something funny going along with that on his side with his equipment," Johnson said. "I'm not one to judge people when they have infractions in our sport because all the crew chiefs walk that line. They're trying to find an advantage. That's what they're paid to do."
There was more fallout later in the day, when NASCAR suspended Knaus for three more races and fined him $25,000 for making the illegal modification.
Knaus has had problems in the past, which probably led to the negative comments. Last March, he was accused of cheating following Johnson's win in Las Vegas when his car failed postrace inspection. After a win in September at Dover, Del., Johnson's car again failed inspection.
Only that time, NASCAR said Knaus had exploited a loophole in the rule book, and the sanctioning body quickly closed it.
Johnson said every crew chief is trying to find an advantage, so Newman should have kept his thoughts to himself.
"We have 45 engineers at Hendrick Motorsports that are trying to make our cars better and trying to beat the system," Johnson said. "He has a staff trying to do the same thing. Years ago this was a fun game between the sanctioning body and the crew chiefs. Now with all the eyes watching, it's turned into a different animal and there's such a negative spin off. "In the garage area, the crews know they're trying to pull one over on the sanctioning body and the sanctioning body smiles about it because they know they're trying to get them back. It's a cat and mouse game that's been in our sport forever and it will always be there."

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"
Ryan Newman & Tony Stewart both think they are bad azzes...

I wish they would do all of the other drivers a favor and just beat the heck out of each other.....

(May want to throw Kevin Harvick in there as well, lol)