Kentucky Derby 2022….

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Just watched the replay…what a great ride by the jockey of Rich Strike…especially at the start….what a killer pace….

Heim

EOG Master
From trainer Eric Reed once Rich Strike was declared eligible:

“Get a good break and work over to the inside,” Reed said of plans for breaking from the No. 20 post. “Start picking them up midway on the backstretch and then pass them all before the finish line."

😳

Neveragain

EOG Dedicated
From the PP’s I can see how Rich Strike would be dismissed from consideration yesterday.

But his pedigree is strong on both sides with many G1 winners in his family tree.
His grandmother on his mother’s side, Classy n Smart, who was unraced at 2, was a champion at 3 and
the mother of champions, stallion Smart Strike and Dance Smartly, who could both win G1 races around 2 turns.

So maybe Rich Strike is just a late bloomer, like his grandmother Classy n Smart.

Heim

EOG Master
IMO Epicenter ran the best race. Yes mid-pack early but his turn time was exceptional despite
fast pace and Zandon never got past him mid-stretch. Not a fast last quarter but steady.

Ray Luca

EOG Master
IMO Epicenter ran the best race. Yes mid-pack early but his turn time was exceptional despite
fast pace and Zandon never got past him mid-stretch. Not a fast last quarter but steady.

Agree but the race was slow due to the pace meltdown

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Luca loves longshots.

I have a good friend (Jeff Gillespie) who likes to back horses that draw in from the also-eligible list.

That was one way to get to Rich Strike at 80/1.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Trainer Eric Reed said of Rich Strike, "He gets better the farther he runs."

The Belmont Stakes immediately came to mind.

Last edited:

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry
best things of this year Derby Day were of course Three Technique winning at huge odds. saved me day.

and also meeting Zandon (not the horse but the actual Zandon!)

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
The owner of Rich Strike was the same guy that had a stable fire a couple years ago in Kentucky. He lost two dozen horses. Almost quit the horse racing game after that. Had a change of heart. Decided to continue on and then wins the Derby two years later. Unreal. A perfect Hollywood script. I predict the movie will be out by 2025.

boston massacre

EOG Master
Trainer Eric Reed said of Rich Strike, "He gets better, the farther he runs."

That's What They Were Originally Gunning For.

Last Second Call For Derby Came After D. Wayne, Scratched His Entry.

Yeah I don't see how anyone charting the race by PPs were gonna come up with the winner. I looked at him again afterwards and still see nothing I like about the horse. Great for racing though. I thought Rosario ran a great race taking Epicenter back off the start. I thought Velazquez ran a terrible race going out with the cheap speed. Hi Ho Pimiico. Epicenter should be a big favorite.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Anyone who backed Epicenter or Zandon should not be disappointed in their efforts.

At the eighth pole, I thought one of the two was going to win the race.

That is, until Rich Strike provided an electrifying finish.

Here's hoping no batteries were found on the racetrack.

Haha.

No shortage of Kentucky Derby storylines over the past four years.

We've had a 22-minute inquiry and disqualification, a drug DQ after a 99-day investigation, an 80/1 longshot winner wearing saddlecloth number 21 and the most unpredictable story of all: a Kentucky Derby presented in September after the Belmont Stakes was run in June.

You can't make it up.

Last edited:

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Anyone who backed Epicenter or Zandon should not be disappointed in their efforts.

Haha.

No shortage of Kentucky Derby storylines over the last four years.

We've had a 22-minute inquiry and disqualification, a drug DQ after a 99-day investigation, an 80/1 longshot winner wearing saddlecloth number 21 and the most unpredictable story of all: a Kentucky Derby presented in September after the Belmont Stakes was run in June.

You can't make it up.

Fodder for conspiracy opportunists…there are more electrifying moments in Kentucky Derby history…

skinny

EOG Addicted
I'll predict this horse will never win another graded stakes race in his career.
Mine that Bird who won the derby in 2009 never won another race of any kind after his derby upset.

boston massacre

EOG Master

Haha.

No shortage of Kentucky Derby storylines over the past four years.

You can't make it up.

I'm Sure They're Still Digging For Dirt, On How Rich Strike Came Up With That Performance.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I'm Sure They're Still Digging For Dirt, On How Rich Strike Came Up With That Performance.

Kentucky's breeding industry/establishment gets slapped in the face when a one-time $30,000 claiming horse wins horse racing's biggest prize.

Last edited:

Valuist

EOG Master
No chance that winner wins at Pimlico. This was a case of an extreme pace. And when we've seen supersonic paces in the Derby, the adjustments are made two weeks later at Pimlico. While the early fractions were very fast, the final time wasn't. The winner won by default.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
No chance that winner wins at Pimlico. This was a case of an extreme pace. And when we've seen supersonic paces in the Derby, the adjustments are made two weeks later at Pimlico. While the early fractions were very fast, the final time wasn't. The winner won by default.

I rarely find myself disagreeing with VALUIST, but I rarely say a horse has "no chance" to win a race.

What if there's a hot pace in the Preakness?

I assume Rich Strike will be rolling from the back of the pack.

That said, I agree with Valuist's premise: A horse can get lucky to win the Derby, but two weeks later, the most talented horse usually wins the Preakness.

I also liked Valuist's use of the word "supersonic" to describe the Derby pace.

I'll steal that word at a future point in time.

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry
his daddy Keen Ice got better as three year old season went along (so not a shock this one was not up with strakes and graded stakes horses as a 2 year old and even early 3. Keen Ice beat......American Pharaoh in late summer of three year old season..... This horse is fine but runs with a need for pace. three year old males nothing special this year, the filly group is pretty interesting however with Secret Oath and Nest and a couple others.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Sonny Leon sounds like the name of a mob figure, not a little-known jockey who rides regularly at Mahoning Valley Race Course in Youngstown, Ohio.

mr merlin

EOG Master
I agree it's a long shot, but the fact is we dont know, no one does, these horses are just starting to mature. He may very well be a flash in the pan, he may be a super horse, or he might be in between.

The preakness should be interesting huh? Hopefully he runs.

Valuist

EOG Master
fractions, fractions, pace blah blah blah
that was a hell of a ride
Pace makes the race. The chart below says it all. Nobody closer than 7th in the first 1/2 mile ended up finishing better than 9th. Epicenter, the race favorite was 5th after 6f and led after a mile. He also likely didn't see Rich Strike coming up to his inside. I do agree a great ride by Leon. I suspect many of the pacesetters who finished far back don't come back in 2 weeks. No way we get a :45 2/5 opening half in Baltimore

1652286252227.png