Kevin Cash Failed The Eye Test....

Heim

EOG Master
Morey went down in Houston with analytics, Cash went down last night with analytics as well.

Moreover, Cash is a former catcher and could not see Snell was literally unhittable, with a pitch
count in the 70s. Fuck the 3rd time through the order small sample analytics, this isn't the
regular season.

royboy

EOG Dedicated
Agree, he might as well have a robot make the moves for him if he's gonna pull Snell in that situation. Guy had electric stuff.

SlipperyPete

EOG Dedicated
Stats are only as good as the people who interpret them.

As my favorite saying goes: "Stats are like girls in bikinis. They reveal a lot but not everything"

Valuist

EOG Master
Specifics beat generalities. The one-size-fits-all approach will help win meaningless regular season games, but that's about it. Why remove a guy throwing great for a pitcher who may have subpar stuff that night.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Love the thread title.

Allow Snell to overcome the leadoff single in the top of the sixth inning.

It was Blake Snell's game to win or lose in the sixth.

Lost in the controversy: Tampa Bay's feeble offense afforded little room for error for Blake Snell and a hard-trying pitching staff.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The analytics were good enough to get the Tampa Bay Rays to Game 6 of the World Series, but not Game 7. :)

Valuist

EOG Master
The analytics were good enough to get the Tampa Bay Rays to Game 6 of the World Series, but not Game 7. :)

If not for one hitter, would they have gotten out of the first round?

They do benefit that the mini season didn't overtax all their relievers. Let their relievers pitch 5-6 innings every game in 2021 and then they will be a great fade in 2022.

universalist

EOG Dedicated
If not for one hitter, would they have gotten out of the first round?

They do benefit that the mini season didn't overtax all their relievers. Let their relievers pitch 5-6 innings every game in 2021 and then they will be a great fade in 2022.
Great point. The shorten season only proved that the Dodgers staff was the superior staff in the playoffs

Cash made a bad call but come on this is low payroll Tampa who plays with two teams in their division with more money than God. They beat the shit out of Boston and until the playoffs owned the Yankees. All because of analytics and a solid philosophy. No one is right all the time but if Cash or anyone said I'm going to overrule my analytics rules when my gut tells me to they are doomed to fail.

bomzee

EOG Dedicated
Despite a horrible pitching decision in game 6 Cash is an amazingly good and creative manager who concocted the bullpen game strategy which is now basically everywhere.
I recall one NBA championship Popovich who has a heckuva good resume squandered with a bonehead decision late in the deciding game.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Despite a horrible pitching decision in game 6 Cash is an amazingly good and creative manager who concocted the bullpen game strategy which is now basically everywhere.
I recall one NBA championship Popovich who has a heckuva good resume squandered with a bonehead decision late in the deciding game.

No one is perfect.

Not Gregg Popovich, not Bill Belichick and not young Kevin Cash (age 42).

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
tampa could not hit dodger pitching. TB batters whiff higher rate...need more contact hitters. Dodgers have 4 real good hitters.
Small market teams have a thinner margin of error. TB couldn't afford that extra bat to help.

Small market teams have a thinner margin of error. TB couldn't afford that extra bat to help.

Dodgers have an insane amount of positional player talent and their system has a number of other guys who could be the next stars. A team like this wouldn't exist in a salary cap system that the 3 other leagues have. Pederson would be an everyday starter on at least 25 teams instead of platooning in LA. Urias would have been a #2 starter for a lot of teams a year ago and he's wasn't a regular rotation guy until this year. Just insane and the thing is even if they considered trading these guys, why bother? Get more prospects when your system is already loaded? Get some luxury tax relief when you already make insane amounts of money from your TV contract?

kane

EOG master

Good post, Cash is a really good manager who made a bad decision, it happens, it just sucks that his bad decision happened in game 6 of the WS, Pop takes out Duncan at the end of the game against Miami is another example of a good coach making a regrettable decision, If Pete Carroll had to do it over he hands the ball to Lynch at the goal line against NE

MrTop

EOG Master
Dodgers have an insane amount of positional player talent and their system has a number of other guys who could be the next stars. A team like this wouldn't exist in a salary cap system that the 3 other leagues have. Pederson would be an everyday starter on at least 25 teams instead of platooning in LA. Urias would have been a #2 starter for a lot of teams a year ago and he's wasn't a regular rotation guy until this year. Just insane and the thing is even if they considered trading these guys, why bother? Get more prospects when your system is already loaded? Get some luxury tax relief when you already make insane amounts of money from your TV contract?

i read MLB has the strongest union...the reason for no cap... although the teams get a nice bill if they go over the MLB salary limit and that money goes to the poor teams.

Heim

EOG Master

Pederson was traded to the Angels in the off-season. I'm still not sure why that deal was negated.