Kobe Bryant killed in a helicopter crash

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
Everybody who knew the pilot said he was very smart and who you wanted in the air.

Only analogy I can think of is hopping behind the wheel of your car after you've had a few and thinking you're all right to drive and you eventually crash because it really wasnt all right to drive.

Its all just so sad.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
Hearing the husband of the woman who was killed. I cried. I just couldnt imagine. Im sure he is just in a state of shock.

He said they tuned into sportscenter and his 11 year old was fully aware what was going on and she said at least the world is sad with us.

Its just unreal. Life is brutal sometimes.

Valuist

EOG Master
Verified.

Good for You.

Something like that will drive you crazy, until you get your answer.

True.

Nowadays there's Facebook and email so if a kid has a friend who moves away, they can still stay in touch. Back then, once somebody moved away, that was it.

I was talking to a good friend who I've known since first grade and it brought back some memories. Altobelli was maybe the shortest kid in the grade, but nobody messed with him. Not that he was a bully, but if somebody started something with him, Alto would finish it. And even kickball games in gym or recess were like war when he was involved. To see he went into coaching, and became a good one, seems obvious in deep hindsight.

boston massacre

EOG Master
True.

Nowadays there's Facebook and email so if a kid has a friend who moves away, they can still stay in touch. Back then, once somebody moved away, that was it.

I was talking to a good friend who I've known since first grade and it brought back some memories. Altobelli was maybe the shortest kid in the grade, but nobody messed with him. Not that he was a bully, but if somebody started something with him, Alto would finish it. And even kickball games in gym or recess were like war when he was involved. To see he went into coaching, and became a good one, seems obvious in deep hindsight.

He have any Family in his Old Neighborhood, (Your Area ) ?

Sometimes, You'll have a Good Journalist, who writes for the Local Town Paper, who will be aware that he Grew Up in the Town, until the Family moved away, and will write a Tribute to a Native Son.

Sometimes, you have to notify the Town Newspaper, that He was a Native.

Valuist

EOG Master
He have any Family in his Old Neighborhood, (Your Area ) ?

Sometimes, You'll have a Good Journalist, who writes for the Local Town Paper, who will be aware that he Grew Up in the Town, until the Family moved away, and will write a Tribute to a Native Son.

Sometimes, you have to notify the Town Newspaper, that He was a Native.

Barry Rozner, a sports writer for the Daily Herald (suburban publication) and a FB friend, texted me the other day. I talked to an editor there. I couldn't give him 100% guarantee but I told him it was probably 98% sure it was the same guy. Too many factors were matching up. I know they don't want to report until they are 100% sure. They will have something in next few days about Altobelli.

boston massacre

EOG Master
Lawsuits will be popping up shortly. There is negligence here by a few parties. Kobe rented this copter. The
Kardashians used it too.

The 1 Problem I have with this Tragedy, is the Fact that Local Enforcements in the Area, Grounded all their Helicopters because of Safety Reasons ( WEATHER/FOG)

But this Pilot was Given Clearance to Fly, because of his Experience.

Were the Passengers made Aware of the Dangerous Conditions, before they Boarded the Aircraft ?

Because Mother Nature will Win out, if it wants to, and your Experience will be a Zero Factor.

If I'm Told Local Law Enforcement has Grounded their Helicopters, I would have said FUCK THE BASKETBALL GAME.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Who was paying for all these helicopter trips? How far is the Bryant home from take off site?
I had heard that kobe owned the chopper, but then i heard it was owned by an aviation comp, apparently he was leasing it at a min and used it all the time, even painting his nickname "mamba" on the side.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
Twitter. Robinhood702 has video of the crash. No idea if its real or some random video.

Appears to be on fire before hitting the ground. Once it hit there was a burst of flames.

Heim

EOG Master
Interesting that Kobe and Vanessa had a pact that they would never be on the helicopter together. Obviously Kobe was
warned about the inherent dangers of flying with a copter.

Valuist

EOG Master
I see the police are pissed at TMZ for reporting it before family members are notified. I don't see TMZ changing. That's what they do.

universalist

EOG Dedicated
This from a die hard Boston Celtics fan. Kobe thanks for the memories. Ah the memories...the only thing that last in sports or for that matter in life...just the memories. I will always remember seeing Kobe lighting it up against anybody. Period. He was that good. In my top 10 players of all time for offense.

mr merlin

EOG Master
I see the police are pissed at TMZ for reporting it before family members are notified. I don't see TMZ changing. That's what they do.
Too bad, so sad. Or to put it another way...fuck the police.

They're so full of shit, the day of the crash the police said that they would not release any info about the passengers because they hadn't even recovered the bodies and just because names are on a manifest doesn't mean they were on board . Using that logic they didn't even know for sure Kobe was on board.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Too bad, so sad. Or to put it another way...fuck the police.

They're so full of shit, the day of the crash the police said that they would not release any info about the passengers because they hadn't even recovered the bodies and just because names are on a manifest doesn't mean they were on board . Using that logic they didn't even know for sure Kobe was on board.

Still, how would you like to hear about a family member's death on TMZ instead of the authorities? ABC reported that all of his daughters were on the flight, Rick Fox was believed to be on it. He had to have a press conference to deny it.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Still, how would you like to hear about a family member's death on TMZ instead of the authorities? ABC reported that all of his daughters were on the flight, Rick Fox was believed to be on it. He had to have a press conference to deny it.
if it were me i wouldn't like that, HOWEVER in this day and age(cell phones), no one would be left thinking their loved one is wrongly dead for long, if at all.

The fact is we dont live in a police state, they dont run the world or society, their authority is very limited.

Wade

EOG Master
kobe was playing Russian roulette and lost. so many people died in a hellicopter. recenty billionaires chris cline in 2019 and Leicester City owner Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha in 2018 both died in choppers.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
If you haven’t heard Shaq’s take on the death of Kobe Bryant, then stop what you are doing and listen....right from the heart.....

MrTop

EOG Master
Except it was rapidly descending at 4-5000 ft per min, like due to disorientation in the fog, it was never going to miss.

I read they hit a mountain. It said they could of missed it. You read something else?... it slammed into a hill … the line Pilot error -5000

Last edited:

mr merlin

EOG Master
I read they hit a mountain. It said they could of missed it. You read something else?... it slammed into a hill … the line Pilot error -5000
It didn't slam into a hill, certainly not the top, it was dropping almost like a rock, the elevation of the ground was not the issue. Just look at a few pics of the crash scene.

MrTop

EOG Master
The helicopter carrying basketball superstar Kobe Bryant and eight others crashed into a Calabasas, California, hillside with a "high energy impact," the National Transportation Safety Board said TuesdayAs federal investigators wrapped up operations at the crash site, the NTSB's Jennifer Homendy said preliminary information suggests the helicopter descended rapidly and was likely in one piece before it slammed into the hill..The descent rate for the helicopter was over 2,000 feet a minute, so we know that this was a high energy impact crash," Homendy said. "This is a pretty steep descent at high speed. So it wouldn't be a normal landing speed."

they say it is a hill.. where do you read it fell out of the sky in another article?

MrTop

EOG Master
Around 9:42 a.m. PT
An air traffic controller tries to contact the pilot, but gets no response.
"72EX, you're following a 1200 code. So you're requesting flight following?" the controller asks.
"Say intentions," the controller adds. "You're still too low level for flight following at this time."