Latos trade to Reds for Volquez, Alonso

tripp

EOG Master
Interesting trade. Two pretty good young arms. Latos isn't as good as his rookie season led people to belief, but he's more steady than headcase Volquez. SD on the other hand gets the better raw talent and maybe he really turns it on pitching in Petco.

Integrity

EOG Master
Re: Latos trade to Reds for Volquez, Alonso

pads get a haul

now rizzo is a chip for them to deal as well

rjt721

EOG Master

From Petco to Great American. Good luck.

Cincy should have traded Votto and kept Alonso.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

What a steal for SD. Volquez a keeper now in Petco? Oh wait, he walks everyone.

pvcpipe

EOG Master

Interesting trade. Two pretty good young arms. Latos isn't as good as his rookie season led people to belief, but he's more steady than headcase Volquez. SD on the other hand gets the better raw talent and maybe he really turns it on pitching in Petco.

I don't know about that. I'd agree after watching him until late July, but he was pretty dominant late season. I'm too lazy to go back and look at the stats.

tripp

EOG Master

I don't know about that. I'd agree after watching him until late July, but he was pretty dominant late season. I'm too lazy to go back and look at the stats.

Also have to factor in him getting to pitch in Petco. As rjt pointed out, quite a difference going from Petco to the Great American Smallpark.

JAKEPEAVY21

EOG Dedicated

Padres fan here, as much as one can be anyhow...When I first heard about this trade on the radio, I was pissed off. After further analysis and reading a few articles, it seems like the 3 prospects that we got are highly acclaimed. I also expect Volquez to improve at Petco along with the tutelage of Bud Black and Darren Balsley(Padres pitching coach).

tripp

EOG Master

Volquez has nastier stuff than Latos. Just needs a lot of polishing to become a good MLB starter. Struggles with control and really lets innings get away from him too much. Needs to make those bad innings into just 1 or 2 runs and not 4 or 5 runs.

Integrity

EOG Master

be happy peavy... volquez could be comparable to latos himself and then you get bright futures out of alonso and grandal...as well as being able to flip rizzo for more stuff

pads made out so well

JAKEPEAVY21

EOG Dedicated

yes Integrity, after reading up on these prospects, I think we might have got the better of the deal...additionally the 3rd prospect, a relief pitcher had some nice numbers in AA and AAA last year. We also have a lot of young pitching depth in the minors, which is the reason they pulled the trigger according to GM Byrnes.

nedrow9

EOG Master

latoes came on strong 2nd half
red sgot a good 1and 2 man now
all about pitching

Integrity

EOG Master

yes Integrity, after reading up on these prospects, I think we might have got the better of the deal...additionally the 3rd prospect, a relief pitcher had some nice numbers in AA and AAA last year. We also have a lot of young pitching depth in the minors, which is the reason they pulled the trigger according to GM Byrnes.

luebke is ur ace..and he's gonna take another step this yr

robbie erlin is the cliff lee of the minors and has a bright future. plus u got joe weiland and keiyvius sampson who are both very good

not to mention casey kelly

Interesting deal. Latos one good season on bad season. Tough to evaluate which player he is lol. Usually don't see guys improving on control so Volq should be the same as usual. Helped out by a bigger park should make him a decent #3

pvcpipe

EOG Master

Tegs is right about one thing....Luebke has next.

Year after next he'll be a 1st round fantasy pick.

JAKEPEAVY21

EOG Dedicated

noone has mentioned the fact that Latos is a headcase..this definitely went into the decision as well in my opinion