LeBron piggybacking Wade for championship?

royboy

EOG Dedicated
Re: LeBron piggybacking Wade for championship?

I think we'd be watching the bulls plays the mavs right now if not for lebron.

DJDalamar

EOG Dedicated

If it was all Wade why didn't he win a championship without Lebron\Shaq?

Apple

Banned

I think we'd be watching the bulls plays the mavs right now if not for lebron.

I've thought about that as well.. Lebron was money in that series..

LeBron has kind of disappeared in the 4th QTR in these first 3 games, as someone who has been questioned for his heart and decision making that has to be a concern..

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Shaq? :LMAO

Shaq played 21 minutes a game in the final Wade won, and he averaged like 13 points and 8 boards if I remember correctly... Yeah, huge help.

DJDalamar

EOG Dedicated

Again is it was all him then he should have won championships without another big name player by his side. There is far more to basket ball then stats.

Apple

Banned

Wade pretty much did it all in 2006.. I can't recall another finals pre-Jordan where one player made such a difference.. Wade pretty much single handily won that championship.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Again is it was all him then he should have won championships without another big name player by his side. There is far more to basket ball then stats.
DJ, you know that finals grades out by numbers guys, and non-numbers guys, as probably the greatest individual performance in NBA finals history, right?

I agree there's more to basketball, but it's tough to argue with what he did in that series. His supporting cast had next to nothing to do with that win - when I say that, I mean you could have replaced them with almost any in the league and he gets it done. He was simply zoned in like we have never seen before - sorry Mike.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

NBA Playoffs: Greatest Finals performances -- No. 1 - ESPN

Greatest Finals performances: No. 1

<cite class="source"> By John Hollinger
ESPN.com
Archive </cite>

<cite>Noah Graham/NBAE/Getty Images</cite>D-Wade was a force in the '06 Finals, rallying the Heat from down 0-2 to bring Miami its first NBA title.
Rankings: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20 | 21-30 | 31-40 | 41-50
The NBA Finals have produced a ton of incredible performances in the three decades since the NBA-ABA merger, starting with Bill Walton's supreme effort against the Sixers in 1977 and going all the way through to the troika from San Antonio in last year's sweep of Cleveland.
But inevitably, some of them made more of an impact than others, both on the stat sheet and in other, more subjective terms. And for that reason, some resonate much more than others when we talk about the great moments in Finals history.
That's where this project comes in. Using both numbers and a healthy dose of opinion, my task today is to rank the top 50 individual NBA Finals performances since the merger. I've included the player efficiency rating (PER) of every player in the top 50 as a guide, but this wasn't my only measuring stick. Basically, everything counts: competition, defense, clutch play, winning, durability ... it all matters.
From that, we can whittle down a list of top performances (including the 31 MVPs since the merger). Subjectively, you may agree or disagree with where a given effort ranks -- this isn't the type of exercise where there are right and wrong answers. But in at least one man's view, here's how the 50 best performances since the merger go, from 1 to 50:

<table class="tablehead widetable" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1" width="100%"> <tbody><tr class="stathead"> <td colspan="8"> Top 10 Finals PERs since merger </td> </tr> <tr class="colhead" valign="top"> <td> Name </td> <td> Team </td> <td> Year </td> <td> PPG </td> <td> RPG </td> <td>APG </td> <td> FG% </td> <td> PER </td> </tr> <tr class="oddrow" valign="top"> <td>Dwyane Wade </td> <td> Mia </td> <td> 2006</td> <td>34.7 </td> <td> 7.8 </td> <td> 3.8 </td> <td> 46.8 </td> <td> 33.8 </td> </tr> <tr class="evenrow" valign="top"> <td> Tim Duncan </td> <td> SA </td> <td>2003 </td> <td> 24.2 </td> <td> 17.0 </td> <td> 5.3 </td> <td>49.5</td> <td>32.0 </td> </tr> <tr class="oddrow" valign="top"> <td> Michael Jordan </td> <td>Chi </td> <td> 1991 </td> <td> 31.2 </td> <td>6.6 </td> <td>11.4 </td> <td> 55.8 </td> <td>31.5 </td> </tr> <tr class="evenrow" valign="top"> <td>Shaquille O'Neal </td> <td> LAL </td> <td> 2002</td> <td>36.3 </td> <td> 12.3</td> <td> 3.8 </td> <td> 59.5 </td> <td>31.4 </td> </tr> <tr class="oddrow" valign="top"> <td>Shaquille O'Neal </td> <td> LAL</td> <td> 2000 </td> <td> 38.0 </td> <td> 16.7 </td> <td> 2.3 </td> <td> 61.1 </td> <td> 31.1</td> </tr> <tr class="evenrow" valign="top"> <td>Michael Jordan </td> <td> Chi</td> <td> 1998 </td> <td> 33.5 </td> <td> 4.0 </td> <td> 2.3 </td> <td> 42.7 </td> <td> 30.8</td> </tr> <tr class="oddrow" valign="top"> <td> Tim Duncan </td> <td> SA </td> <td> 1999 </td> <td> 27.4 </td> <td>14.0 </td> <td> 2.4 </td> <td> 53.7 </td> <td> 30.7</td> </tr> <tr class="evenrow" valign="top"> <td>Michael Jordan </td> <td> Chi </td> <td> 1997 </td> <td> 32.3 </td> <td> 7.0 </td> <td> 6.0 </td> <td>45.6</td> <td> 29.5 </td> </tr> <tr class="oddrow" valign="top"> <td>Shaquille O'Neal </td> <td> LAL </td> <td> 2001 </td> <td> 33.0 </td> <td> 15.8 </td> <td> 4.8 </td> <td> 57.3</td> <td> 29.4 </td> </tr> <tr class="evenrow" valign="top"> <td>Michael Jordan </td> <td> Chi </td> <td>1992 </td> <td> 35.8 </td> <td> 4.8</td> <td> 6.5 </td> <td> 52.6 </td> <td>29.2</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <hr> <center>2006 FINALS</center>

<table> <thead> </thead> <tbody> <tr class="last"> <td style="font-size: 12px;"><center>
Miami 4

Dallas 2
</center></td> </tr> <tr class="last"> <td><center>
WADE'S STATS
Points per game: 34.7
Boards per game: 7.8
Steals per game: 2.7
PER: 33.8

</center></td> </tr> </tbody> </table>

1. Dwyane Wade, Miami, 2006

It's hard to overstate how awesome Wade was in leading the Heat to their lone championship, particularly in the final four games when Miami rallied from a 2-0 deficit to stun the Mavs.
Wade started the comeback by leading the Heat back from a 13-point fourth quarter deficit in Game 3, scoring 12 points in the final 6? minutes to send the game to OT. He also made the biggest play of the series with his crazy dribbling foray to the rim at the end of overtime in Game 5 that -- controversially -- earned a whistle from referee Bennett Salvatore and a trip to the line for the winning free throws.
For the series, Wade averaged 34.7 points, 7.8 rebounds, 3.8 assists and 2.7 steals -- and this in a slow-paced series (neither team cleared the century mark in regulation in any of the six games). His basket attacks were so deadly because the Mavs couldn't stop fouling him. Wade shot a whopping 97 free throws in the six games -- the most of any player since the merger -- including 25 in Game 5.
Overall, Wade's 33.8 PER is easily the best of any Finals performer since the merger. While it seems strange to have somebody besides Michael Jordan in the top spot, the truth is Jordan never dominated a Finals to this extent. At the time, many called Wade's performance Jordanesque. It turns out they might have been selling him short.

Jordan and Shaq own that list.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Dare I say Wade and LeBron are the closest thing to Jordan and Pippen since...well...Jordan and Pippen.

And Wade right now is reprising the role of Jordan while James looks more like a Scottie Pippen.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

DJDalamar

EOG Dedicated

From the other thread I stated it's all about matchups. Right now they have Kidd guarding Wade which is a miss match and they are abusing it. Lebron should be commended for not forcing shots and trying to be the "superstar" when there is a better matchup for them somewhere else.

If Westbrook had this same mentality they might have went farther in the playoffs.

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

Oops. I meant to post this in this thread.

Lebron was asked why he's missing in action in 4th quarters...

rainbow

EOG Master

I think the Heat need both of them to beat the Mavericks period...

DJDalamar

EOG Dedicated

He kept looking down like he was reading the answer,lol.

He does that every press conference. He pretty much says the same thing I been saying. This is a stupid discussion that is all over ESPN. During the Bulls game people were talking about how it was Lebrons teams, and now that Wade is getting the points people are saying it's his team.

Just more dumb over analysis of every move this team makes.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

Lebron making everyone look good....his passing and team defense are being overlooked...

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR

And Wade right now is reprising the role of Jordan while James looks more like a Scottie Pippen<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Sharp post. And I don't even need to see stats, look on the floor and watch who's really getting on the ass of everyone else. Even James is getting ripped every now and then by Wade. He seems to be saying "I can get you a ring LeBron but you need to follow my lead". It's very simple, if LeBron didn't need to piggyback Wade in order to get a ring he'd still be playing in Cleveland. And we move on......

Seymour

EOG Dedicated

James is David Robinson - he's a great over all athlete and player but he's just not a big time - sure once in a while but it's not who he is - Wade is gonna save his entire legacy from that of a fraud

Piggybacking? C'mon, man. Piggybacking is what Luke Walton did to win a ring off Kobe's coattails. LeBron is pulling his weight and outplayed Wade in the Chicago series. We still have at least two games left of the Finals and probably three or more. I expect LeBron will exert his will on Dallas before the series is over.

IrishTim

EOG Dedicated

Without Bosh and Lebron, Miami's an underdog to make the playoffs. Lebron's team had the best record in the NBA last year. 82 game sample > 36 minute sample. Not to mention Lebron's points created higher than Wade's in Game3.

No bigger prisoners of the moment than gamblers.

The only impartial and unbiased way to measure the two is advanced metrics and over any reasonable length of time, Lebron is clearly a greater player than Wade. The numbers don't care about the "decision" or "whose team it is" (some made up designation anyhow). Ridiculous and pointless argument. Sure Wade has had a good series and has been more productive than Lebron and deserves the MVP. By no means does that mean he is a better player than Lebron.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Without Bosh and Lebron, Miami's an underdog to make the playoffs. Lebron's team had the best record in the NBA last year. 82 game sample > 36 minute sample. Not to mention Lebron's points created higher than Wade's in Game3.

No bigger prisoners of the moment than gamblers.

The only impartial and unbiased way to measure the two is advanced metrics and over any reasonable length of time, Lebron is clearly a greater player than Wade. The numbers don't care about the "decision" or "whose team it is" (some made up designation anyhow). Ridiculous and pointless argument. Sure Wade has had a good series and has been more productive than Lebron and deserves the MVP. By no means does that mean he is a better player than Lebron.
:LMAOI'd never seen ESPN show that stat in my life until they needed to answer why Lebron was outplayed by his teammate (Not sure why it's even a bad thing) in the finals. He had 7 assists and 4 of them were made 3 pointers - you and I both know that's 100% luck and every good driver can drive and kick to an open shooter.

WVU

EOG Master

Fuck all this shit. Miami is MY team. Not Wade's, Not Lebron's, Not Bosh but MINE

:houra

DJDalamar

EOG Dedicated

If Lebron wanted to continue to put up "superstar" numbers he would have stayed in Cleveland. All three knew going in their stats would drop because they went from being the teams superstar to sharing the ball.

When Lebron was forcing shots at the end of games everyone was on his ass now he's working as a facilitator and everyone questioning if he's even a good player.

Seymour

EOG Dedicated

Listen man, no one disputes Lebron is great - he does fucking everything - but everyone knows he is not a baller - watch the 4th quarter - he does not have what far inferior players do - watch Billups, Manu, Pierce and Dirk - if u watch a game all those guys would be described as cold blooded - no one will ever refer to Lebron as cold blooded

DJDalamar

EOG Dedicated

I suggest that you go rewatch the game and try to come up with a better post tomorrow. :LMAO

Seymour

EOG Dedicated

James on the verge of becoming the biggest fraud in all of sports - the dude don't have it - whatever it is - better pray that wade can save his ass or he is gonna be under the microscope - good thing he didn't go to NY - imagine the media

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

James on the verge of becoming the biggest fraud in all of sports - the dude don't have it - whatever it is - better pray that wade can save his ass or he is gonna be under the microscope - good thing he didn't go to NY - imagine the media
The national media will find a way to spin this and blame it on Wade - it's never Lebron's fault and he's always productive in their eyes even when he blows.

Less than 10 points in a Finals game? Are you kidding me? Holy shit....

Seymour

EOG Dedicated

As the playoffs were progressing I really thought this was the year he blows up and passes Kobe - now it's crystal clear he's the 3rd best player on the court

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR

Piggybacking? C'mon, man. Piggybacking is what Luke Walton did to win a ring off Kobe's coattails. LeBron is pulling his weight and outplayed Wade in the Chicago series. We still have at least two games left of the Finals and probably three or more. I expect LeBron will exert his will on Dallas before the series is over.

If you call 8 points on 3 for 11 shooting exerting his will then you made a good call. In actuality that was one of the most embarrassing things I've ever seen. In addition to disappearing on offense, 0 points in the 4th quarter despite playing all 12 minutes, he also turned into a statue on Nowitski's game winning drive to the rack. Wade came from top of the key to try and block it, LeBron could have sealed off the lane easily had he slid over a few feet and helped out his teammate. Did he really not think Dirk was going to shoot the ball and/or take it to the rack? The fact all this ridiculous play came after his fiery "win one for the kipper" lecture for teammates before the game makes this guy a total joke IMO. When you do that at least produce, show everyone you mean business. When Bosh gets on your ass after the game you know you played badly, LOL. I don't think even Wade can get this guy a ring, maybe a few more superstars will be needed to carry this gutless fraud to a title.

Patrick, we still have at least two games left in the Finals. I will reserve judgment on James' Finals performance as a whole until after it ends. Last night he obviously played a horrible game. Good. I took Dallas to win the series before it started. I'm not a Heat fan.

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR

Fair enough. I hope you win your bet, not very confident that you will depsite how badly #6 has played. And yes I agree James will play better, it's almost getting to the point where it's statistically impossible to play much worse. Not to single you out I just can't stand that MF'er (unless I have a wager that says otherwise). Good luck with your action.