LIV Golf

ComptrBob

EOG Master
Probably LIV has achieved a critical mass already, especially if profitability isn't a major goal. They dodged a bullet having Tiger turn them down, would have been a complete waste of money.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
Just do the math, Bobby. If the PGA told their golfers to go get that MBS money, they would have had to expand the fields and tournaments and burn even more money or blow their wad with the schedule tournaments. Then what? Let's go to year 2 and burn more money? PGA not affected. Still thriving. All the players still members and playing tournaments with bigger wallets. Then what? Then MBS throws in the towel head.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
The worse and worse thing that could have happened to the LIV is if everybody tried to join. MBS would have taken a look at the cost and Ron Duguay say fuck this shit. PGA is losing to a 2-5 hand. MBS is taking the jackpot.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
Look at the list of PGA players the PGA booted or forced to quit. It is Captain Insaneo stupidity. And it is going to grow after the US Open.

mr merlin

EOG Master
More players rumored to be considering jumping ship - pat perez, harold varner and jason kokrak. This latest batch - guys like varner, perez, wolff, they are decent golfers but kinda streaky - they miss a fair number of cuts/year and earn nothing. The LIV tour is perfect for them since they'd be guaranteed money every week.

Now we have breaking news that Dustin Johnson has applied to the DP tour - they supposedly have an agreement to align with the PGA tour but so far have said nothing regarding the suspensions, etc. They also lost more players to the LIV tour and were weaker to begin with - grabbing Johnson and therefore also sergio, westwood, oozie is probably going to be irrisistable.

mr merlin

EOG Master
They get booted out of FedEx. Everybody moves up.
Yup, that's gone, the question is how will they factor the LIV into world golf rankings - they'll have to figure out a method that takes into account the caliber of play on the new tour. The world golf ranking get most guys into the majors.

Heim

EOG Master
Johnson is starting to sound like a dick. He intimated the other day he'd have to play forever on his PGA earnings. 🙄

Dell Dude

EOG Master
If the PGA and Euro trash tour ban LIV players, that will create yet another competing league for the remaining 32 open weeks. In other words, it is going to get worse and worse for the PGA.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
What is happening to the PGA, I want to happen to the NCAA. They are ripe for the picking now that there is NIL.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
PGA:

If you walk out that door, you will never wear this green jacket!

MBS:

Money. Pussy. Cocaine. All you can spend, eat and sniff.

Last edited:

Dell Dude

EOG Master
If the PGA and Euro trash tour ban LIV players, that will create yet another competing league for the remaining 32 open weeks. In other words, it is going to get worse and worse for the PGA.

The players are the product. If enough quality players become free agents, that will create demand for another league. The PGA is not going to win. They are drawing dead.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Hey, PGA. I dare you to ban players who bolt from the majors. Do it.
They dont control any of the majors, highly unlikely that would happen. The big unknown is the world golf rankings - if they dont count LIV play in the rankings players would slowly slip out of them, in a year or so none of them would be eligible. If as many suspect there is a mini flood of more players defecting post US open, they'll have to include them.

Jammer

EOG Dedicated
8 events
3 Rounds per event
48 players per event
Shotgun start
12 teams, (selected by captains), will compete for 5 million, to be split by top three teams.

After seven events, top three players split 30 million, first place gets 18 million.

Season ending Team champion top spot will divide up 16 million.

At the moment, not able to find any betting odds on draftkings or fan duel.

Dustin Johnson's team name is, "4 aces".

SugarHouse has betting odds on LIV

Heim

EOG Master
Somebody explain to me why the majors are exempt from these PGA bans/resignations. I see Michelson is teeing up Thursday
for the Open.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
Somebody explain to me why the majors are exempt from these PGA bans/resignations. I see Michelson is teeing up Thursday
for the Open.

Mostly historical, but the PGA just manages the non-majors and is not powerful enough. If someone resigns from the PGA, then plays in a major, is the PGA going to prevent all its members from participating in that major? Of course not, it would mean the demise of the PGA.

Obviously, The Open (British) is completely independent.

Last edited:

mr merlin

EOG Master
for the Open.
Because the PGA does not control any of the majors, they dont run them in any way, shape or form.

The 4 majors(at least at this point) are not banning any of these players from playing because the bans only help the PGA tour - it doesn't help the game of golf, it certainly doesn't help their tournament.,

It's absolutely insane to say "hey, we're going to have a gold tournament to determine the best golfer in the country, etc" and then exclude certain players because their presence might hurt the fiscal situation of the richest body in golf.

mr merlin

EOG Master
One interesting problem the LIV tour may have, by next year certainly is they might have too many players and not enough spots. If they stick to 48 man fields that means they cant accommodate more than 30-35 PGA pro's in any one tourny - assuming they will still want a dozen or so foreigners who are not part of the PGA tour.

The PGA tour has about 150 guys exempt, another 25 or so provisionally, the way the money is set up on the LIV tour it will be very, very attractive for all the guys outside of the top 30. if perhaps 7 or 8 of the top 30 players flip there's only room for 25-30 of everyone else.

If the LIV tour is successful and they get more and more top players, the tour will be kicking out lower caliber players before long, so the PGA tour will always have plenty of high quality golfers, just not the very best.

cheapseats

EOG Master
Dont6think for a second there is not a whole lot more that is yet to be revealed.

Media tried hard to berate Phil today. Kick Mstsusma off the pga as the Japs attacked and killed years ago. And, the Germans, need I say more.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Dont6think for a second there is not a whole lot more that is yet to be revealed.

Media tried hard to berate Phil today. Kick Mstsusma off the pga as the Japs attacked and killed years ago. And, the Germans, need I say more.
Yup, you didn't hear the slimy parrots on the golf channel smearing dustin johnson much did you?

Then you have chamblee, etc, bleeding his heart out for the 911 families. So lets see, phil mickleson is the bad guy but when Obama bowed to the saudi king that was just fine, when biden meets the crown prince next month a, shakes his hand and begs for oil - that'll be just fine too - it's phil that's the problem.

All this BS because the PGA currrently has a monopoly on golf tournaments and doesn't want competition, because it's not about the game of golf, it's about the PGA's money and sponsorships.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
All of this bullshit will be a non story come next year…the Saudis won’t keep dishing out free dough…they are just stirring the pot to incite hatred….

O'Royken

EOG Dedicated
With image restoration next up would be owning an NFL franchise. They were fooled that horse racing was the sport of Kings. Could be about a decade away as they would drive up the value of NFL teams by overpaying for teams.

mr merlin

EOG Master
All of this bullshit will be a non story come next year…the Saudis won’t keep dishing out free dough…they are just stirring the pot to incite hatred….
If the LIV gets more good players it stands a good chance of being a success, that means it wont be just blowing money - they'll get a tv contract and start selling tickets at real prices. I'm not sure they'll make money but they might not lose that much.

mr merlin

EOG Master
They are trying in Horse Racing for decades.
So you think everything any saudi does is all part of the saudi collective huh? That's ridiculous.

That saudi guy who's into horse racing is a billionaire(many times over), I would guess his motives are personal ,he just happens to like horse racing, and has the money to engage that hobby at a high level.

His interest in horse racing has been going on for a long, long, time, long before this silly Kashoggi incident that supposedly tarnished their image.

Some of you think the right has a bunch of conspiracy nuts, take a look in the mirror guys,

Ooh, the saudi's are trying to get into horse racing, I guess they're trying to get into oil too. LOL